Varying Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwin Betz

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2018
Dayton, Ohio. USA
I hope I'm posting this in the right forum...lol (not needed)

I started vaping on my Ijoy RDTA BOX with a .19 ohm resistance and into my 3rd tank I noticed my resistance was reading ,23 ohms. Almost through the 3rd tank, my Ijoy was on its side in my cargo pocket and whatever juice was left the rayon sucked up, and the resistance was reading .27 ohms.

Does a coil' s resistance vary at all depending on how much the wicking material is holding?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: stols001

Edwin Betz

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2018
Dayton, Ohio. USA
What wire type?
Coil type?
Spaced or contact?
Coil gunked up?
Fused clapton
26ga KA1/N80
Premade coil
a0c340905ccbcb3fd00a120c6c2d7013.jpg
5aa9ef09d35aa744e8c61b88d73c3bb1.jpg

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would check and clean and make sure everything is secure. If it's SS wire, it's possible to see some slight resistance changes as the wire ages are somewhat normal (I guess if using exotic coils, if the inner wire is SS it could happen too). IDK that it is the case, but it's possible. If you are concerned, check your build, has the resistance changed more than once?

If you are using kanthal as the inner wire it shouldn't change. IDK if you posted about wire type and etc., if you didn't, that may help isolate the problem.

Best of luck, but no, it's not going to be the wicking. It's either going to be your build, your wire, or I guess alternately there could be something going on with the mod but I consider that the least likely scenario and etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Edwin Betz

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
What would make the resistance change like this?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Does metal increase resistance (talking the actual wire and metal it is made of), the answer is yes in these instances.

1) This first mainly is seen and used with Temperature Control Mode. All metals, that I know of, as power and heat are applied, the resistance in the metal increases with that heat, TC mode capable mods read this increase, and based on that increase, calculate and guess the temperature of the coil. This heat vs resistance increases and is compounded upon each successive hit until you set the mod aside and let the metal of the coil cool back down to lower its resistance. Nickel Ni200, Titanium T1, and SS316L this heat to resistance value can be read in real time with some decent accuracy, as their TCR values are readily know, Kanthal and NiChrome being they have such high resistance to begin with and the heat to resistance increase is so slight it barely detectable is the reason they are not used for TC mode.

2) Aging of the wire metal. More power you apply to a coil wire, the more heat it is abused with, basic physics here, things get hot, they expand, things get cold they shrink. This constant expansion and contraction, ages the metal, crystalizing it and making it more brittle. That crystalization increases the resistance of the metal, so you see a gradual increase over time of a coil head.

3) Over time of #1 and #2, also the coil connection legs can lengthen and shrink, this works those leads out of original position, which can lead to higher or lower resistance readings, laying the mod on its side like in your first post, could have lead to a coil shift, may have been just a nano-meter in distance, but enough to throw off a reading.

4) Tank/Coil Head/Coil Posts - where the wire connects on the atomizer device. #1 and #2 Strike again, mainly #1 here, the post screws, rubber insulator grommets, what ever hold the wire leads in place, RDA/RDTA/RTA rebuildables screws loosen over time due to expansion and contraction, rubber and insulator grommets on drop in coils deteriorates and shrinks from the wire, both instances resistance can increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread