VCT5 - Stingray X Battery Backwards..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlockwich

Jul 13, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I was cleaning the threads on my Stingray X and while putting it back together somehwere in putting the top and bottom caps on I put my battery in backwards. I then vaped on it for at least 20 minutes worth of when the button was actually pressing in total. It wasn't until somehwere around the locking ring or around the actual button did I seem to get shocked for a second. I then unscrewed the button and seen what I had done.

I was planning on pitching it (although I'm unsure about just throwing this type of battery in the kitchen trashcan lol) but before my $15 goes wasted I wanted to get a opinion on if I shorted out the battery that caused the slight shock or if it might be okay.

I did put it back in my mod a few hours later the correct way and it was hitting correctly and didn't seem to loose any performance. I know I've read about once this happens it reverses the polarity in the battery (?)

I can't remember if VCT5s are protected and if I may have shorted that out or not, or if theres any test that can be done to tell if the battery is garbage.

Thank you for any one taking the time to read this and reply!

PEneoark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2010
Holley, NY
Not a good idea? How is this even a bad idea to run your battery "backwards" in a mech?

Listen, if you take your battery wrapper off, and put the positive end towards the atty, it will auto fire, as the case will complete the circuit with the battery tube. Now do the same with the battery where the positive end is facing the switch. Guess what? It won't fire.

Bottom line...There is no safe or unsafe way to put a battery in a mech.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Now do the same with the battery where the positive end is facing the switch. Guess what? It won't fire.

Bottom line...There is no safe or unsafe way to put a battery in a mech.

You are correct in that the mod will not fire in this case. The battery will hard short :shock:

Think this through. The mod tube is touching the battery case which is negative. The switch completes the circuit between what is now the positive end of the battery and the negative battery casing.

Putting the battery in positive end to the switch in a bottom button mod is not a safe practice.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
You are correct in that the mod will not fire in this case. The battery will hard short :shock:

Think this through. The mod tube is touching the battery case which is negative. The switch completes the circuit between what is now the positive end of the battery and the negative battery casing.

Putting the battery in positive end to the switch in a bottom button mod is not a safe practice.
100% Agree.

What a lot of people don't realize is that if a battery is un-wrapped 95% of the exposed metal is the negative connection, the entire casing minus the top nipple is negative. Any battery with no wrapper will auto-fire unless the walls of the mech mod are lined with a non-conductive material which is why I'm such a stickler for the battery wrap being in un-torn good condition.

PEneoark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2010
Holley, NY

Just remember, in one situation, it will auto fire. It really doesn't matter which way you put the battery in.

I am a big stickler on battery wrapper conditions. If I see the slightest tear, I recycle them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just remember, in one situation, it will auto fire. It really doesn't matter which way you put the battery in.

I am a big stickler on battery wrapper conditions. If I see the slightest tear, I recycle them.

Yes, in one situation the mod will autofire. The problem is with the battery positive end down towards the switch it will hard short when you push the button and that is not good.

BTW, you don't need to recycle a battery when the wrapper gets torn. Buy some battery heat shrink tubing and re-wrap the battery. Cheap and easy.

Last edited:

Herzeleid14

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
BTW, you don't need to recycle a battery when the wrapper gets torn. Buy some battery heat shrink tubing and re-wrap the battery. Cheap and easy.

semi unrelated, but thanks for this, i have a couple batteries with slight nicks in the wrapping, wasn't sure if i should cover with electrical tape or what, but re wrapping them seems like a better idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread