Vent/Short Protected Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renet Abella

Mar 17, 2016
Philippines
So as the title says, I'm trying to acquire a mod that's as safe as it can be with how it works with batteries. I've vaped for a year & a couple of months ago just experienced the "1 in a million" battery thing, but that's a story for another time. So, I'm trying to get back into vaping but I'm now looking a mod that'd give me clouds & safety.. Hope it exists.. Thank you guys!

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hi @Renet Abella and welcome to the forum. The 1 in a million battery thing can occur in any mod if a battery is abused or decides to vent. Regulated mods will be safer now than what they were when you began vaping. Currently I am enjoying the Wismec Reuleaux RX200, a 3 battery mod with temp control (I run it in power/wattage mode). The 3 batteries help by raising the Amp load spread over 3 batteries rather than the 2 battery mods.

Reputable batteries is a must for vape. I am currently enjoying the LG HG2's (3000 mah), but also have Samsung 25r's and Sony VTC4's.
18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
All 30A-Capable Batteries Shootout -- Bench Test Results -- Which battery is best?
Baditude's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

If you put your location in your profile it could help with shopping recommendations.

Reactions: Baditude

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
So as the title says, I'm trying to acquire a mod that's as safe as it can be with how it works with batteries. I've vaped for a year & a couple of months ago just experienced the "1 in a million" battery thing, but that's a story for another time. So, I'm trying to get back into vaping but I'm now looking a mod that'd give me clouds & safety.. Hope it exists.. Thank you guys!

Can you please elaborate on the one in a million battery thing you spoke about? What kind of MOD did you have that experienced an issue? Was it a clone? So many questions about that statement you made come to mind after reading it?

Renet Abella

Mar 17, 2016
Philippines
Wow, I did not expect a reply that fast, so, I live in the Philippines a country where Mechanical mods are commonly used. I don't want to name what I used previously as much as possible as I don't want trouble. So the fireworks happened one morning, the mod did not have an atomizer on it, I put the batteries in, had breakfast, and as I was picking it up, it started the fireworks, it got out of my hand & sadly sprayed on my girlfriends' legs. We own a small hospital which helped with the treatment, she's perfectly fine now except for the burn marks that we're now focused on getting treatment on. (I just wanted to let this all out so people get an idea of how I feel). The fireworks continued on for a whole minute approximately & eventually the battery went boom, the mod shot across the whole room, the experience was traumatizing & I do not want this happening to myself or someone else. I've spent the past months trying to read as much as information as possible as to why it happened, up until now I am unsure but I've sort of convinced myself that it was a faulty battery.

I want to vape again (BADLY!!!) I just want to make sure I know everything I need to know before I hop back in. :)

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Thanks for some information but curious about it's authenticity and were the batteries "generic" or not. The more specific information you feel comfortable providing will help the experts to provide more helpful information. I am just curious about the specifics of the device to hopefully avoid or prevent others from the experience.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Vaping! :vapor: :danger:??? :thumbs:

Renet Abella

Mar 17, 2016
Philippines
Thanks for some information but curious about it's authenticity and were the batteries "generic" or not. The more specific information you feel comfortable providing will help the experts to provide more helpful information. I am just curious about the specifics of the device to hopefully avoid or prevent others from the experience.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Vaping! :vapor: :danger:??? :thumbs:

If this is the case then, over here it's called a Pawn v2 [Mod] & LG 18650 batteries.

12562487_10207440450423687_1928632150_o.jpg 12584192_10207440449983676_19551117_n.jpg 12591941_10207440450263683_1418117067_o.jpg

I have nothing against the mod nor the makers as again I am unsure what caused this to happen.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
If this is the case then, over here it's called a Pawn v2 [Mod] & LG 18650 batteries.

View attachment 540010 View attachment 540011 View attachment 540012

I have nothing against the mod nor the makers as again I am unsure what caused this to happen.

Thanks for the pictures and information. You seem like your a person like I am who wants to know why or what caused it! Thankfully no one was seriously injured as the pictures are on the scary side to say the least. Good Luck!

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Regulated power device, they have built in saftey features.
IMR or hybrid chemistry batteries from a reputable source with a suitable CDR for the power range(s) you intend to use.

There are dozens of decent quality regulated single dual & triple battery power devices, too many to make a valid recommendation.
Best for you to look around to see what features, size & capabilities interest you.

Reactions: Izan

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
First of all, welcome to ECF. :thumbs:

Sorry to read of your mishap. And thanks for explaining what happened, what mod you were using, and what batteries you were using. That helps a lot.

I too was a victim of an exploding battery in a mechanical mod. It happened about 2 1/2 years ago. I was using a 14500 ICR battery (which was what was recommended at the time, as IMR batteries were just hitting the market and "not recommended" because they were "unprotected"). The mod in question had a protruding fire button, and I absentmindedly put the mod away in a pants pocket hanging in my work locker. The fire button got compressed in the pocket, caused the battery to rapidly over-discharge, and the battery exploded.

This led me to research into battery chemistry, and I soon wrote the Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?, which eventually became read worldwide. Today, ICR batteries are now considered obsolete for mod use, and I like to think that I had a little bit to do with that.

I will say that generally speaking, INR and IMR batteries are considered to be "safe chemistry", meaning that their chemistry doesn't usually end up with flames or explosion when the battery goes into thermal runaway. Your experience was out of the norm. LG INR batteries are considered to be one of the best and safer brands on the market.

However, a mechanical mod is always going to demand extra attention to safety precautions compared to a regulated (electronic) mod. A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

pawn-box-mod-by-vapesmith-a4749-800x800.jpg

I'm not personally familiar with the Pawn mechanical mod, but from pictures it appears it might be a "direct battery" or "faux hybrid" mod, although its difficult to tell from the pics. These mods do not have a 510 center pin in the top, but only have an open space where the 510 pin would normally be.
RoylegH.jpg

In order to fire an atomizer with a direct battery mechanical, the atomizer must have an extended center pin in its 510 connector to make contact with the battery. (See pics below)

510-connection-pin-550x329.jpg

Attempting to use a normal 510 connector juice device without an extended center pin can cause a battery to go into thermal runaway, and the mod to explode. However, you said at the time of your incident there was no atomizer attached, so I'm stumped as to the cause of the explosion. SOMETHING hard shorted your battery into thermal runaway. One possibility is that the insulative plastic wrapping around the batteries was compromised by a tear or hole. Another might be that you reversed the battery orientation in the mod.

Having said all of that, just about any regulated mod will be safer than a mechanical mod, all other factors like battery quality being equal. If you still choose to go with a mechanical mod, I'll recommend the AltSmoke Silver Bullet. It has multiple safety features which make it "safer" than your run of the mill mechanical.

Inexpensive Mechanical Mod and RDA Setup

I myself use a Silver Bullet and a Wismec RX200 regulated mod.

Alternately, a mech with top vent holes is IMHO a safer mech than one with bottom vent holes.

Mech Mods with top venting holes?

You can always add a Vape Safe Fuse, a Kick, or a "hot spring" to add additional layers of safety to any mechanical mod. This is covered in my above A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod.

Do your homework and make an informed, educated decision on your next mod.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
First of all, welcome to ECF. :thumbs:

Sorry to read of your mishap. And thanks for explaining what happened, what mod you were using, and what batteries you were using. That helps a lot.

I too was a victim of an exploding battery in a mechanical mod. It happened about 2 1/2 years ago. I was using a 14500 ICR battery (which was what was recommended at the time, as IMR batteries were just hitting the market and "not recommended" because they were "unprotected"). The mod in question had a protruding fire button, and I absentmindedly put the mod away in a pants pocket hanging in my work locker. The fire button got compressed in the pocket, caused the battery to rapidly over-discharge, and the battery exploded.

This led me to research into battery chemistry, and I soon wrote the Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?, which eventually became read worldwide. Today, ICR batteries are now considered obsolete for mod use, and I like to think that I had a little bit to do with that.

I will say that generally speaking, INR and IMR batteries are considered to be "safe chemistry", meaning that their chemistry doesn't usually end up with flames or explosion when the battery goes into thermal runaway. Your experience was out of the norm. LG INR batteries are considered to be one of the best and safer brands on the market.

However, a mechanical mod is always going to demand extra attention to safety precautions compared to a regulated (electronic) mod. A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

pawn-box-mod-by-vapesmith-a4749-800x800.jpg

I'm not personally familiar with the Pawn mechanical mod, but from pictures it appears it might be a "direct battery" or "faux hybrid" mod, although its difficult to tell from the pics. These mods do not have a 510 center pin in the top, but only have an open space where the 510 pin would normally be. In order to fire an atomizer, the atomizer must have an extended center pin in its 510 connector to make contact with the battery. (See pics below)

510-connection-pin-550x329.jpg

Attempting to use a normal 510 connector juice device without an extended center pin can cause a battery to go into thermal runaway, and the mod to explode. However, you said at the time of your incident there was no atomizer attached, so I'm stumped as to the cause of the explosion. SOMETHING hard shorted your battery into thermal runaway.

Having said all of that, just about any regulated mod will be safer than a mechanical mod, all other factors like battery quality being equal. If you still choose to go with a mechanical mod, I'll recommend the AltSmoke Silver Bullet. It has multiple safety features which make it "safer" than your run of the mill mechanical.

Inexpensive Mechanical Mod and RDA Setup

I myself use a Silver Bullet and a Wismec RX200 regulated mod.

Alternately, a mech with top vent holes is IMHO a safer mech than one with bottom vent holes.

Mech Mods with top venting holes?

You can always add a Vape Safe Fuse, a Kick, or a "hot spring" to add additional layers of safety to any mechanical mod. This is covered in my above A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod.

Do your homework and make an informed, educated decision on your next mod.

One heck of a great informative post! Another reason why I am recommending this site to friends who vape or are contemplating quitting smoking and using vaping as a means to achieve that goal!

Thanks again to all who contribute to the education of Vapers and those looking to gain knowledge!

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread