Very unscientific experiment involving one person - me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Hey,

After a couple of weeks of very enjoyable vaping, and not smoking even one tiny little cigarette, or even a puff of someone else's... I conducted this experiment today.

I lit a cigarette. I took one puff. I thought, oh my gosh, why did I think I would miss this? It wasn't especially horrible, like some have said. It just wasn't, well, it wasn't anything. I immediately put it out, and thought to myself, "That's that."

Never say never, but I really feel like I've left those cigarettes in the dust, and I ain't looking in the rear view mirror again.

Thanks to everyone here for all the information and support in this new adventure. I'm lovin' it.:)

asht

Oct 27, 2013
Leeds
I ran out of supplies when I first started vaping, I was desperate for a nicotine fix. I went to my local off license. Bought 10 of my "normal" brand. Lit one up, took a drag and then instantly put it out in my freshly made brew. And like you say I thought the exact same. How could I miss this.

Furiously brushed my teeth and ate mints to get the taste out of my mouth. On this occasion I turned to the same mints until the following day to get me through the night until the postie turned up with the required supplies to get me backup and running.

Just goes to shows that once you vape, its a whole different level of fun :)

Recycled Roadkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2013
Garland, TX
I suppose the OPs experience would pretty much mirror mine, however, I didn't actually light up one myself. A friend that also quit by vaping thought he'd try one out of the pack I'd abandoned a couple of months prior.

It stank horribly. I can hardly believe it and I'd smoked for the best part of 35 years. I still can hardly believe that vaping would work as an alternative to smoking so effectively. Yay for all of us that have quit entirely and for those that haven't, keep trying!

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
I still even after 2 years of vaping have thoughts of lighting up or bumming a smoke. The difference is its just a fleeting thought not an all consuming craving Id have when I was a smoker.

Awesome Buggainok good work!

Thank you.

I saw a post the other day about the "Ghost Habit" lurking and whispering to ex-smokers that was very meaningful to me. You know I'm not a scientist or doctor, but I do know that repeated actions actually place "grooves" in the pathways of your brain. I think of how many thousand-million times I have gone through the physical actions of getting a cigarette out, putting it in my mouth and lighting it during the 40 plus years that I smoked.

I fully expect to have those thoughts and impulses for a while, but I know I don't have to act on them. I have a lovely alternative instead. I mean, who doesn't like Banana Nut Bread?:)

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
My experience was the opposite. I lit up on the patio after about 3 months. It was like I was a teenager in the woods after swiping some of dad's cigarettes. Boy was it good. I knew then and there that I had to resist...because they were really good.

Yea but you have a funny hair cut weird eye brows and pointy ears;-)

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
My experience was the opposite. I lit up on the patio after about 3 months. It was like I was a teenager in the woods after swiping some of dad's cigarettes. Boy was it good. I knew then and there that I had to resist...because they were really good.

I think you must have smoked better cigarettes than me.:)

VapoJoe86

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2012
Indiana
During my first year or so of vaping, I would still smoke cigarettes on occasion (specifically when I was out getting hammered drunk) and always regretted it the next day when I woke up with a throbbing headache and a dry-as-a-desert throat. After doing this 5 to 10 times I dropped that habit of drunken smoking entirely and was able to resist and even take pride in my drunken vaping. I've since stopped drinking entirely but that's another story. Nowadays the smell of cigarettes disgusts me and I can't stand to be around people smoking.

freeatlast!

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2013
Kansas, USA
kestra.zenfolio.com
Hey,

After a couple of weeks of very enjoyable vaping, and not smoking even one tiny little cigarette, or even a puff of someone else's... I conducted this experiment today.

I lit a cigarette. I took one puff. I thought, oh my gosh, why did I think I would miss this? It wasn't especially horrible, like some have said. It just wasn't, well, it wasn't anything. I immediately put it out, and thought to myself, "That's that."

Never say never, but I really feel like I've left those cigarettes in the dust, and I ain't looking in the rear view mirror again.

Thanks to everyone here for all the information and support in this new adventure. I'm lovin' it.:)

When I got my first vaping device, I still had 1/2 pack of cigs, and even though with the vaping I knew right away I would be able to quit smoking, I finished the pack over the next few days. It seemed like sucking air through a straw!! Just a waste of time and effort! Now, when I occasionally get the crazy thought that a cig would be nice, I just remember the experience of those last few - and also how awful it felt to repeatedly smoke when I didn't really want to, to NOT be able to quit. Ecigs are some kind of miracle!!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hey,

'Grats - you joined the group of the lucky many where the smoking experience turns on you, real fast, when you start vaping. It did for me too. Nearly two and a half years later I stil cringe at the thought of what my last few cigarettes were like. For us, actually smoking a cigarette turns into it's own worst negative reinforcement. No one know why this happens really, but it does - a lot.

Alas, there are the unfortunates where this doesn't happen and they still find something about smoking they like. :(

In either case this is why I believe it's a good idea to try one early into your vaping experience when you are far less likely to feel guilt about it and all that. If the smoking experience is going to go gross on you you don't need to wait for months for that to happen. Most people start experiencing that in their first week of vaping. However, if you do find you still like smoking find that out early on. That way if you want to stay completely quit you know, and you know what you gotta do to stay that way.

Doing your test like this is only a quit smoking experiment - and a good one. It's not an American Cancer Society quit smoking program total fail. We don't play that game here.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
'Grats - you joined the group of the lucky many where the smoking experience turns on you, real fast, when you start vaping. It did for me too. Nearly two and a half years later I stil cringe at the thought of what my last few cigarettes were like. For us, actually smoking a cigarette turns into it's own worst negative reinforcement. No one know why this happens really, but it does - a lot.

Alas, there are the unfortunates where this doesn't happen and they still find something about smoking they like. :(

In either case this is why I believe it's a good idea to try one early into your vaping experience when you are far less likely to feel guilt about it and all that. If the smoking experience is going to go gross on you you don't need to wait for months for that to happen. Most people start experiencing that in their first week of vaping. However, if you do find you still like smoking find that out early on. That way if you want to stay completely quit you know, and you know what you gotta do to stay that way.

Doing your test like this is only a quit smoking experiment - and a good one. It's not an American Cancer Society quit smoking program total fail. We don't play that game here.

Yes, as I read about people's experiences, I know I am fortunate it's worked like this for me. I was pretty skeptical because I was a person who was "hooked" from the first cigarette I smoked. I remember staying up all night smoking after that first cigarette, because I loved it.

And, 40 plus years later, that is almost the same way I've felt about this whole vaping experience. (Except for the staying up all night part - I'm old now, and need my sleep. ha!) But I do love it!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread