VF Stout 26650 Battery Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

frjaldomr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2014
Far West Texas, US
So, what's the current thinking about the MNKE with the sticker and wide spaced print?
I have 8 of those, from Lighthound, that have been sitting in a drawer for 6 months since I retired my 26650 mechs.
I ordered a Stout just yesterday morning to get them back into circulation and then stumbled on the thread about them last night.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    So, what's the current thinking about the MNKE with the sticker and wide spaced print?
    I have 8 of those, from Lighthound, that have been sitting in a drawer for 6 months since I retired my 26650 mechs.
    I ordered a Stout just yesterday morning to get them back into circulation and then stumbled on the thread about them last night.

Most of them seem to perform a lot worse than the narrow spaced print ones. But it wasn't definitive. If yours are bad it will show up when you go above 40W or so.

frjaldomr

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2014
    Far West Texas, US
    Well, I'm getting a 'weak battery' message when I go above 85 watts.
    Another thing...I've been using mechs full time for the past couple of years.
    I've just recently purchased my first couple of high powered regulated mods, so the calculations for regulated are new to me.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in any of the following three statements.
    1. 100 watts on a freshly charged batt is pulling 23.8 amps.
    2. That is almost maxed out for a 25A CDR battery on a full charge and only gets more dangerous as the battery voltage drops.
    3. The Stout will only hold one battery, so there is no way to safely vape at 100 watts on this 100 watt device.
    I vape around 90 to 100 watts.
    I bought this thing so I could vape at those power levels.
    I'm going to have to sell this thing if I can't go above 75 watts.
    It just doesn't make sense to me...

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    I've just recently purchased my first couple of high powered regulated mods, so the calculations for regulated are new to me.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in any of the following three statements.
    2. That is almost maxed out for a 25A CDR battery on a full charge and only gets more dangerous as the battery voltage drops.
    3. The Stout will only hold one battery, so there is no way to safely vape at 100 watts on this 100 watt device.

1. a bit more actually, as no regulated device is 100% efficient. However, the amp draw increases as the battery charge goes down. Assuming a 90% device efficiency and a 3.2v cutoff, the maximum amp draw at 100w is close to 35 amps.
    3. It'll certainly exceed the cdr of any single battery. Others might disagree, but I wouldn't use a single battery mod over 85w, and then only with a Sony vtc4 or LG hb2/4/6. With 20 amp batteries I wouldn't go above 60w.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: frjaldomr

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    1. a bit more actually, as no regulated device is 100% efficient. However, the amp draw increases as the battery charge goes down. Assuming a 90% device efficiency and a 3.2v cutoff, the maximum amp draw at 100w is close to 35 amps.
    3. It'll certainly exceed the cdr of any single battery. Others might disagree, but I wouldn't use a single battery mod over 85w, and then only with a Sony vtc4 or LG hb2/4/6. With 20 amp batteries I wouldn't go above 60w.

It's a 26650 VF Stout. :)

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

As @KenD mentioned, you'll be pulling a lot of current at those wattages. That MNKE though, with the widely spaced lines of text, have been very poor performers compared to the narrowly spaced version. And even the good MNKE's tested out in the middle of the 26650's for me.

Check out my blog for my 26650 test results. Here are my recommendations for the Stout...
    VF Stout 26650 Battery Recommendations

You're not going to get great battery life from any battery at near 100W but those 26650's will give you the best possible life for a single battery mod.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    True, but if I'd want to vape at really high wattages with it I'd use the 18650 sleeve and one of the better 18650s :)

Great idea and a very good point!
    One of the better 18650's will definitely fire that mod at 100W.

The lower capacity, versus 26650's, will mean very little vaping time before the weak battery message appears but it will work. I think it's just too much power for any single battery. Especially since even the best 26650 is only about as good as a decent 20A 18650 with added capacity.

Reactions: KenD

frjaldomr

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2014
    Far West Texas, US
    If you don't mind my asking, where did the ones you tested come from?
    Every batt I've put in the thing brings up 'weak battery' in the 75 to 85 watt range, and I believe every one I've tried is a 20A CDR.
    I wonder if anyone's tried a 30A in this thing to see if the weak batt message actually doesn't come up in the high end range.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    If you don't mind my asking, where did the ones you tested come from?
    Every batt I've put in the thing brings up 'weak battery' in the 75 to 85 watt range, and I believe every one I've tried is a 20A CDR.
    I wonder if anyone's tried a 30A in this thing to see if the weak batt message actually doesn't come up in the high end range.
    Are you asking about VTC4's? The latest tests were done with ones from www.illumn.com.

I don't get weak battery messages with HG2's at 70W until I've vaped for a while. What batteries are you using and how long does it take before you get the message?

75W-85W is a very high wattage level for a single 18650 though. You'll never get a decent amount of vaping time from one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread