VG and PG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
e-liquid generally has concentrated liquid nicotine, propylene glycol (Pg), vegetable glycerin (Vg) and flavoring extracts.

PG and VG are usually used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio is common. Some juice vendors offer a range of different ratios depending upon customer preference.

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin in consistancy.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweetner in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick in consistancy.

Sweeter (sugary) or darker flavors tend to clog coils and wicks faster. E-liquids heavy with Vg are thicker in viscosity and may not wick as well as thinner e-liquids in some tanks.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
Basically if you want a stronger throat hit and less cloud out of your vape and a punchier flavor profile you will want to have a higher ratio of PG than VG so you would look for juices that say they are 60PG/40VG now if you go higher PG you may experience a bit of dry mouth and a need to drink more as PG does tend to dry out some people. If you are looking for a smother vape that doesn't have a strong throat hit and produces thicker plumier clouds then you want to go higher VG value such as 30PG/70VG which is a very common ratio and will still wick well in most tank systems. One thing you will find is true is almost all e-liquid manufacturers label the ratio as PG/VG so if you see 70/30 that means 70%PG 30%VG and this is going to be a stronger throat hit and relatively cloudless or stealthy vape as cloud density will be very thin. If you see some labeled max VG then it usually means 20/80 or greater VG content very few companies offer 100% VG juice but most offer a max VG line for those that want to cloud chase. I don' know if this helped clarify anything for you but that' the best I can do to explain it.

Reactions: Letitia

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Basically if you want a stronger throat hit and less cloud out of your vape and a punchier flavor profile you will want to have a higher ratio of PG than VG so you would look for juices that say they are 60PG/40VG now if you go higher PG you may experience a bit of dry mouth and a need to drink more as PG does tend to dry out some people. If you are looking for a smother vape that doesn't have a strong throat hit and produces thicker plumier clouds then you want to go higher VG value such as 30PG/70VG which is a very common ratio and will still wick well in most tank systems. One thing you will find is true is almost all e-liquid manufacturers label the ratio as PG/VG so if you see 70/30 that means 70%PG 30%VG and this is going to be a stronger throat hit and relatively cloudless or stealthy vape as cloud density will be very thin. If you see some labeled max VG then it usually means 20/80 or greater VG content very few companies offer 100% VG juice but most offer a max VG line for those that want to cloud chase. I don' know if this helped clarify anything for you but that' the best I can do to explain it.
I agree with much of what you say, but many juice companies are listing vg/pg now. Especially the ones that do not offer higher pg juices.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
I agree with much of what you say, but many juice companies are listing vg/pg now. Especially the ones that do not offer higher pg juices.
Really well that would have to be a relatively new thing but then again I haven't bought premade juice in almost a year and a half, I make my own liquids now. It is far cheaper than buying premade juices in the long run but is more of an upfront all at once expense. When we were able to custom mix to order in the shops we always labeled PG/VG as it was the industry standard. It' like anything else though subject to change at a moments notice LoL!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Really well that would have to be a relatively new thing but then again I haven't bought premade juice in almost a year and a half, I make my own liquids now. It is far cheaper than buying premade juices in the long run but is more of an upfront all at once expense. When we were able to custom mix to order in the shops we always labeled PG/VG as it was the industry standard. It' like anything else though subject to change at a moments notice LoL!
I just started mixing a couple of months ago and can't make myself use up my commercial juices. They are so sweet now, ugh. My juices aren't great yet but more vapable than anything else I have. lol

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Letitia, what juice calculator do you use? Where do you get your flavorings from and what is your target ratios? I've been mixing for about 4.5 to 5 years so I can help take your flavors from OK to amazing if you like.
I'm really liking the ELR recipes tools and use their calculator. My flavor stash is open, I only have maybe 60 flavors. I buy most from BCF. My primary vapes are citrus, heavy on orange varients. Also enjoy apple, pear, grape. and some berry. Strong aversion to peach types. Do noy like custards or thick creams, do like meringue, cream cheese icing, and small % of marshmallow for mouth fell and a adding a little sweetness.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Propylene Glycol (PG) and Glycerine (VG) are closely related polyols, both liquid at room temperature (and at more extreme temperatures than water.) Juice for vaporizers is generally composed mainly of some combination of PG and VG, along with some flavor molecules. VG is much more viscous than PG, and sweet in taste, where PG can be a bit bitter. PG is more commonly used as a medium for flavors, but some flavoring agents use VG as their medium.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
I'm really liking the ELR recipes tools and use their calculator. My flavor stash is open, I only have maybe 60 flavors. I buy most from BCF. My primary vapes are citrus, heavy on orange varients. Also enjoy apple, pear, grape. and some berry. Strong aversion to peach types. Do noy like custards or thick creams, do like meringue, cream cheese icing, and small % of marshmallow for mouth fell and a adding a little sweetness.
We can work with this trust me. I have some stuff that will help get you really enjoying the mixology game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread