VG base only recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

xitheron

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2011
nashville
I don't mind PG in flavors, but when I use it as a base, there's something harsh about it that I don't like. I was wondering if anyone has any good recipes using only VG as a base. I also know that most people say that you have to use more flavor in VG mixes, but I don't know how much more. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

xitheron

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2011
nashville
Yeah when I first started the DIY thing, all I had was some 48mg VG and flavors. I would cut the 48 down to 24mg using distilled water and flavors at 50%. That was back before I wrote anything down and found the e juice calculators. It almost seems like my juices were better back then before I started trying to make it an exact science. It's like looking for the dang holy grail. Lately I'm obsessing over it all the time.

xitheron

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2011
nashville
I haven't had any problems with viscosity on my atty.. Using the AGA-T. I've even vaped straight VG unflavored before without a problem. My issue is getting a full flavor with VG. I know it's possible (Bobas), but my mixes just don't seem to have much flavor, or taste terrible when I get too much in there.. Fine line I guess.

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
My issue is getting a full flavor with VG. I know it's possible (Bobas), but my mixes just don't seem to have much flavor, or taste terrible when I get too much in there.

Be careful with this comparison. There is something behind the curtains that makes Boba's/Gorilla juice a tad different from our blends. I immediately knew that there is something fishy going on the first time I created an all VG blend. There is much speculation as to how they do it, but know this, they're not only using VG + VG based flavorings... and if they are, I'll be a son of an endangered albino rhino.

J&V Far

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY, USA
I too am looking for higher VG or Total VG recipes!! I get nose bleeds from high PG!! I have increased my water in-take and have a humidifier going to help out. Best I can do right now is keeping it just under 38%. More research needed on my part. May be that is what I will do now that I've found an ADV that will do for now.

Wonder how high VG or ALL VG would work in my Kanger T3's???

skoot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Colorado
Thanks skoot- what's your typical flavoring percentage? And is that in addition to the 15% water?

Well, I've just made a few batches so far, but I'm doing 15-18% distilled in addition to 20% flavor. But my flavors are 100% VG from Nature's Flavors, they seem to need more than other flavors. I'm vaping this recipe right now, it's 15% but it's a tad too thick, 17% would be perfect.

Nic base 100mg/ml - 4.8 ml - 24%
VG - 8.2 ml - 41%
Distilled water - 3 ml - 15%
Caramel Creme - 1.6 ml - 8%
Cappucino - 2.4 ml - 12%

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
I don't add any water at all to my VG base and don't have a problem- then again I strictly drip. I haven't had a flavor mixing issue either- as soon as they are in the bottle I put them in a hot water bath, shake, repeat a few times and I am good to go.

As for adjusting flavor percentages, typically end up with about 20% total, and I usually tweak whatever a recipe calls for by adding a percent or two to what it calls for. Haven't had any problems so far- I am still pretty new though. I have posted this on the TFA only flavor thread, but I will put it here. It's been my main ADV since I made it.

TFA- RY4D 10%
TFA- Bavarian Cream 5%
TFA- Double Chocolate (clear) 3%
TFA- Cotton Candy 2%

I named it R2D2, because it was late and it made me giggle when I said it lol.

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
Yeah, but that blend is 80/20pg (those TFA flavorings are PG-based). I used to make my blends in that same ratio simply because it was easier, and faster to mix the flavorings within, rather than straight VG.

Thus why we who don't use PG add water ;)

Never thought of it that way! I knew the flavors were PG base but really thought past that- that explains why I see people having mixing issues and I never understood why! :)

skoot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Colorado
IMHO in a few weeks of DIY, adding 20% distilled water is similar to a 20/80 PG/VG mix in terms of viscosity. I mix 15-20% distilled with 20% flavor, it sounds outrageous but all the nic and all the flavors are alcohol VG, and mostly the former. I think the standards for mixing VG are very different from PG/VG blends, once you take into account the huge percentage of VG going into the mix. Too much distilled gives a harsh throat hit and floods cartos, too little feels like sipping sludge. I'm finding pretty happy ground to be 18-20% distilled.

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
Thought Id chime in here to help out. Ive been vaping DIY VG juices since I started over a year ago and Ill repeat what I have said several times here in the forums... contrary to what some people think VG works in any and all atomizers. When it isnt working in a particular atty its because its still to thick viscosity wise. DW will fix that problem in any and ALL atties.

Now the question is how much DW is too much, or too little, in a VG mix?

The first problem I had to solve was viscosity of VG. In the beginning I was a ego-c user and those are notoriously finnicky with high VG. I went thru weeka of trial and error with mixing, lots of burned hits, ruined attys, you name it. So after realizing it wasnt the equipment, but my juice at fault I set out to find out the right viscosity for VG bases juices.

All of my juice today is 80%VG/20% everything else. Whether that is pg or alc based flavors, or additives like DW, sucralose, em, citric or malic acids, etc. That 20% total is key for me. If I use just one flavor at 14% then I add 6% DW, for example. If your flavoring or other additives are indeed 100% VG also then you will want 70%VG/30% everything else. These ratios for me are never fail.

Now how much is too much DW?

When working with VG base and pg or alc based flavors you can go as far as 65% additives. However this should only be in cases where there is a high amount of flavoring being used. The DW may not even be necessary when flavors are more than 25% of your mix. If you find in these mixes that they are still too thick, a couple drops of dw per 5ml is usually all that would be necessary after the fact and it will not effect flavor.

As to whether or not VG requires more flavoring.... I find that to be a myth and at best the difference is negligable. Ive done tests side by side identical in both PG and VG bases and imo there is no discernable difference to me aside from PG just tasting stale and gross. Im sensitive to pg, cant stand the stale taste of it anyways. To me, any juice with high pg is a ruined juice.

Holbie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I am receiving a kit from dawn this week at DIY flavor shack and got 100%vg nic base, the kit itself comes with some pg in it that i'll definitely use but trying to get to all VG i've had some of the PG side effects from juices i've been using and would like to try the all VG route. This thread is great information thanks to all that have posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread