vg/pg experement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wild200v

Nov 6, 2013
Kearns Utah
so i had heard vg vapes better and pg carries the flavor better. so i wanted to do a little experement. here is what i did and the results so far. my nic is 50/50 at 100mg. so i mixed 2 bottles. both at 15 mg nic. one w/all vg and the other all pg. so what we have is 92.5% vg in one and the total opposite in the other. i flavored them both with 5% red apple and another 5% green apple. both exactly the same on flavor. i did this 2 days ago. i "power steeped" which i had never tried. both bottles went into the same hot bath of water. half hour ago i put 1 ml of each into brand new ce4 clearos. put them one at a time on a small variable volt ego battery. tried both on the same battery at low med and high settings. i will leave this here for a little bit as i am interested in seeing ppl guess on the results. then a bit later tonight i will come back and read then post the results.

i hope i have put this thread in the right place if not someone please advise...

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Great experiment!!
You asked for guesses - here's mine...

I'll bet you get a bigger difference due to the WICKING of very thick vs. thin juice rather than something that can be attributed to which "carries flavor" better.

So I'd guess your report MAY include comments like
- The VG mix produced far more vapor (providing the CD4 can wick it decently)
- The VG mix produced a "smoother" vaping experience, due to the thicker vapor
- The PG mix may have more throat hit
- Similar in flavor intensity, but a different "feel"

I'll be back later to see!

talon4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I'm wondering if the difference in flavor might be attributed to the fact that it would take longer for a flavor to completely mix into VG then it would PG. I have absolutely no evidence to support this though. Just guessing based on the fact that a 95% vg mix is quite thick.

Your results will be interesting to read I'm sure.

wild200v

Nov 6, 2013
Kearns Utah
well i must say i was actually shocked at the difference. i will be checking in on this thread over the next few days to update. i believe that the steeping process is un-finished. 2 days may not be the time needed. i have noticed that juices get better even after a couple weeks. i do not see what the "power steep" did?? may have even hurt it. but so far the results are as follows.
1. the pg mix has at least 3 times the flavor.
2. the vg mix has at least 3 times the vape on exhale.
3. the pg has a more defined "throat hit" by far. and the flavor is sharp...tangy.
4. the vg is more smooth by far. a smoothness i really like a lot. a whole lot! but the flavor just aint there. what is there is smooth though.
5. and this may be subjective as i did not really keep an accurate account of vapes. but, the pg is not being used as fast. i put the same amount in each tank. i put them on the table standing up and looked close. they were the same by eyeball. now the pg is down by a noticeable amount. again not really accurate but, i have been mixing most my liquid 60/40 vg/pg. a friend took one of my bottles and later commented on how long it lasts. and that the "store brand" was much thinner and easier to dispense. so i am starting to believe the more vg the longer this stuff lasts.

i know this will all change some w/more time for steeping. i will keep you all updated if you seem to show an interest. and i think i will do more experimenting along these lines and report those to. should i leave them all in one thread? i am wondering 1, if the flavor will come more into the vg w/more steeping, and 2, if more flavor would fix it if that don't happen?

i would love to see links to threads of other experiments of this sort. there is just so much on this site i struggle to find things i look for.

Last edited:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Well, some of your findings follow the classic commentary - that PG is better at carrying flavor and TH, and VG is better at making vapor!
I DIY, so I get to "fiddle" with the mix - but I've only roamed a bit, from like 40/60 to 60/40...
I hope we get more experiments and info - it helps decide what to try next!

well i must say i was actually shocked at the difference. i will be checking in on this thread over the next few days to update. i believe that the steeping process is un-finished. 2 days may not be the time needed. i have noticed that juices get better even after a couple weeks. i do not see what the "power steep" did?? may have even hurt it. but so far the results are as follows.
1. the pg mix has at least 3 times the flavor.
2. the vg mix has at least 3 times the vape on exhale.
3. the pg has a more defined "throat hit" by far. and the flavor is sharp...tangy.
4. the vg is more smooth by far. a smoothness i really like a lot. a whole lot! but the flavor just aint there. what is there is smooth though.
5. and this may be subjective as i did not really keep an accurate account of vapes. but, the pg is not being used as fast. i put the same amount in each tank. i put them on the table standing up and looked close. they were the same by eyeball. now the pg is down by a noticeable amount. again not really accurate but, i have been mixing most my liquid 60/40 vg/pg. a friend took one of my bottles and later commented on how long it lasts. and that the "store brand" was much thinner and easier to dispense. so i am starting to believe the more vg the longer this stuff lasts.

i know this will all change some w/more time for steeping. i will keep you all updated if you seem to show an interest. and i think i will do more experimenting along these lines and report those to. should i leave them all in one thread? i am wondering 1, if the flavor will come more into the vg w/more steeping, and 2, if more flavor would fix it if that don't happen?

i would love to see links to threads of other experiments of this sort. there is just so much on this site i struggle to find things i look for.

wild200v

Nov 6, 2013
Kearns Utah
Well, some of your findings follow the classic commentary - that PG is better at carrying flavor and TH, and VG is better at making vapor!
I DIY, so I get to "fiddle" with the mix - but I've only roamed a bit, from like 40/60 to 60/40...
I hope we get more experiments and info - it helps decide what to try next!
yes, the findings are pretty much what i had read and whatnot. but the vastness of the differences was astonishing to me. i can not tell you how much it is different! you can almost not even really tell it is the same flavor. it really gives me knowledge on what is doing what and how to adjust to my tastes. i look forward to further steeping. a small amount of menthol may "pop" the flavor out..?

firephly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
CA
yes, the findings are pretty much what i had read and whatnot. but the vastness of the differences was astonishing to me. i can not tell you how much it is different! you can almost not even really tell it is the same flavor. it really gives me knowledge on what is doing what and how to adjust to my tastes. i look forward to further steeping. a small amount of menthol may "pop" the flavor out..?

adding saline solution is supposed to help, 0.9% - available at CVS

talon4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Did the clearo even managed to wick the vg? Interested.

Trident RDA
Magneto Mod
0.38ohm :)

#VapingSince-July5th

It shouldn't be a problem. I buy from a local vendor and all there juices are 100% VG and they wick pretty well in my clearos. You definitely can't chain vape but otherwise not a problem.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com

Everything we put in an eliquid is a variable that influences the end result (not to even mention the hardware we use to vape it---the JDS [juice delivery system---atty, carto, tank, clearo, RDA/RBA], voltage/watts under load, etc.). So, your results are for the particular flavorings used (red and green apple) from specific flavoring companies (unnamed), with a certain percentage of liquid nic 50/50 100mg/ml, but how much?) that is from a specific vendor (who?), steeped for X amount of time, using your particular hardware (listed).

I'm not dissing what you did, just saying that you approached your experiment that same way most of us would (including me). Your results are interesting (triple the flavor for PG, triple the vapor for VG), but they're anecdotal, not universal.

That said, your results echo the standard expectations for PG/VG differences relative to flavor and vapor production. They deviate mainly in the extremes (300%) of your perceptions of the differences. Again, I'm not calling into question what you experienced. I'm just saying that others may not get the same results you did.

wild200v

Nov 6, 2013
Kearns Utah
Everything we put in an eliquid is a variable that influences the end result (not to even mention the hardware we use to vape it---the JDS [juice delivery system---atty, carto, tank, clearo, RDA/RBA], voltage/watts under load, etc.). So, your results are for the particular flavorings used (red and green apple) from specific flavoring companies (unnamed), with a certain percentage of liquid nic 50/50 100mg/ml, but how much?) that is from a specific vendor (who?), steeped for X amount of time, using your particular hardware (listed).

I'm not dissing what you did, just saying that you approached your experiment that same way most of us would (including me). Your results are interesting (triple the flavor for PG, triple the vapor for VG), but they're anecdotal, not universal.

That said, your results echo the standard expectations for PG/VG differences relative to flavor and vapor production. They deviate mainly in the extremes (300%) of your perceptions of the differences. Again, I'm not calling into question what you experienced. I'm just saying that others may not get the same results you did.
i am in total agreement w/all you said here. i realized all this before for sure. but i wanted to do this for myself as a teaching experience (for myself). after doing it though, i felt it would be cool to share w/fellow members here what i experienced. myself, i have not gotten into MOD's yet. have a lot of ego type batteries. the ce4 clearos are not my faves. but cheap and easy for testing stuff. i prefer the Evod so far. being a welder, my job makes it so a small battery and tank is the best option. why the 2 apple flavors? another experiment! lol.

wild200v

Nov 6, 2013
Kearns Utah
after re reading this though, i thought i had been clear on the mix. 50/50 pg/vg w/100mg nic. 1.35 ml.in each bottle. then in one bottle i put 7.65 ml. of vg. and the same amount of pg in the other. then in both bottles i put 10% (1ml.) flavoring. for a total of 10ml. per bottle and bringing the ratio to 92.5% vg in one and 92.5%pg in the other. i believe this to be very simple math. but if i have figured it wrong or not explained what i did well enough, let me know as i would like to be as clear as i can for the community. also, i did not know that the place i bought the nic mattered? educate me please! i got mine from mfs. i also got the vg and pg from there. is there a better place? quality? what am i missing? this is why i am here. i wish to know all! of course i will never but i strive forward.
(on a side note just for billherbst, Love Florance! been there riding on the beaches! one cool place! driftwood 2!)

wild200v

Nov 6, 2013
Kearns Utah
okay so, steeping longer changed it a little more but not much. the results are about the same. i have used all that was in the tanks. i then mixed w/in the tanks and tried higher amounts of each. i ESTIMATE I had about 65/35 in each. those results were still similar. i mixed some 50/50. i liked it but it seems a bit week still but that's another topic. seems the more pg though, the better the flavor i am currently waiting for more supplies in the mail. i pan to do another experiment using mostly vg w/more flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread