Status
Not open for further replies.

homeprogreen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
Sonora CA
Need a little help figuring this one out. My wife has a vision stardust that she uses on a eGo 900mah battery. It was working fine and she went to refill it. After it was filled back up it wouldn't vape. I figured coil head came loose so tightened it down. Still nothing. Grabbed a new 3.2 ohm head from sealed blister pack. Put it on. Still nothing. I'm lost on this one. Any advice will be appreciated

NickSteel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Napa, California
She said she did but knowing her she may have gotten impatient and just flooded the top. I'm just going to throw it on the scrap heap and buy her a mini vivi nova this week. Was just trying to salvage this one since its only 2 weeks old

I'd go with the vivi nova. My wife started with clearomizer, then switched to vivi. It is easier to fill and clean. Also very easy for me to build new coil and wick.

Kookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2010
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Got a multimeter? You can check for open / short or the resistance of the coil. Also check the battery voltage with it. (Actually it would be good practice to check that, most likely Chinese made device, out of the box before you load it up with juice.) The unfortunate thing with vaping is a little bit of electrical engineering. The simplest though. It’s a very simple DC circuit. Battery and resistor. You are blasting quite a bit of current to heat that coil. The complicated (respectively) circuitry is in the battery its self to control over / under voltage.

I digress... Set your meter to resistance / ohms. Put the leads together and that is a short and should read zero. Put the leads across the connection for the coil, center and threads. If you get zero, it’s a short and can damage your device. If you get nothing, its open and the coil is broken. Depending on your working voltage the coil should read anywhere from 1.2 - 5.0 ohms.

Set the meter to volts and you can check your battery / device. Set it on and press the button while holding the leads on center and threads. (Sometimes that can be a feat without some help of an alligator clip or a helpers hands.) Depending on the device it can be between 3 and 7 volts. That is without load, but verifies your device is operating.

Even a cheapo multimeter is almost a must have in this game. At least IMHO. It will help with the "What the hell's?!!"

To check things without a multimeter, I know Mapvapes sells a volt meter that screws right to your device. They also sell a cart coil checker that is threaded for I believe 510 and 808 that simply reads the resistance in ohms of your carto's, attys, what have you.

Some mods can do this built in. I would suggest anything that you can set the wattage. That means you should always get a set constant vape. If you can set the wattage, that means it will automatically read your coil resistance and set the voltage appropriately.

I hope that is not too complicated and or too vague. (In personally have a problem simplifying things without actually overcomplicating.) It is the super basics of DC electronics. IMHO, if you drive a car you should at least know how to check and or change the oil. With this it would be good to at least be able to check the resistance of a coil. These things are mass produced as cheaply as possible. Brand new items can get to you bad after bad. It’s easy to think its new it should work. I've seen 3 out of a box of 5 carto's turn out bad.

I hope that might help some.

Kookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2010
Detroit, Michigan, United States
It checks out eh? I love a good mystery. Yup, Hittmans on the right path to solution. That fits into my second rule. You seem quite set on just replacing which is all good. I'm all for new stuff to fiddle with to make you happy. I'm just eyeing that scrap heap, heehee, I'd like at it. LOL.

I will ramble on in hopes of entertaining you and explain the origins of "the second rule". I used to be a broadcast engineer many moons ago. I used to thrive on fixing things, still do, but just not professionally anymore in that field. First rule is: Is it plugged in? Second rule is (and I'm not kidding you it still being April fools and all): Smack it!!! To quote one of my favorite Will Ferrell moves, "60% of the time, it works every time!" Now if it starts working, you could walk away without pulling out a single tool but since you brought all your tools anyhow, might as well figure out why that worked.

That still works for me today. I neglected to use that rule in my current job. I was set out all alone in the field and ran into a problem with a Boeing 737-800. During training there are constant reminders of how much everything costs on these planes. Hell a fuel cap alone on an Airbus (original manufactured) is $15,000. They get lost all the time, BTW, lol. So I am intimidated and gentle with this plane. I go to the operations manager and tell them the fuel panel doesn't work. He looks at me like I must be kidding. Then comes out and slams that panel door that scared the bajesus out of me. "There its working!", and looks at me like I just fell off the turnip truck. There ya' go, rule #2. In essence, check your connections. The rest of the rule actually get more surreal and are dependent on the situation, lol.

Regardless, replacement will surely work. So, now this discussion is mute.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Did you already check the battery voltage? If so, you could unscrew the coil and take resistance readings to the inside of the vision. This I can tell you, I got what is called a crystal vision clearomizer from one vendor that works fantastic. I ordered what I thought was the same thing but was called a vision v2 clearomizer and two out of three leaked and didn't work worth a crap. I saw after I got them that they were made a little different. I went back to the first vendor and reordered even though they were a little higher. A good product is worth a couple dollars more.

snork

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 30, 2011
    CO
    Well....... An eGo battery is about 3.3volt and with a 3 ohm load you're looking at around 3.5 watts.
    This is WAY too low for vapor production and or satisfaction.

Try a 1.7 ohm delivery sytem although with an eGo it won't last long before a recharge is required.
    Very good, Glasshopper. ;)

homeprogreen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 18, 2013
    Sonora CA
    well i finally had a chance to dig up my meter. the 1st coil is blown for sure. I think charlie is right and the replacement coil is just to high resistance. which actually blows since I bought a 5 pack and the guy selling them swore they would work. but the cool think is that i ordered a roll of wire and wick. found a video about how easy it is to re-coil the ViVi nova :0 ordering 2 mini's , 2 regular vivi nova's, one of the STV nova's and a mod to push them. should solve all my problems. plus once I started looking at these stardust coil's they appear to be just like nova coils so I can mess around and try to rebuild it

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread