Vivi Nova Leaking around threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

kranecu

Jun 28, 2012
Illinois
My wife are both vaping with eGo Ctwists and Vivi Nova 2.5 setup. We are both 2 months without an analog.

We have 3 Vivi Novas and they all seem to leak around the threads. One of the 3 is hardly noticable, one leaks just a little, and the third will go from full to empty if left on its side all night. Should I:

1. do something different with my current Vivi Novas?

2. Buy new Vivi Novas? (the ones I have are from gotvapes.com)

3. Buy something different? (if so, what?)

I have been using the stardust for about a week now and it has been decent. Problems with Stardust:

1. It doesn't quite hold a full day's worth of juice.

2. This morning, on the way to work, I couldn't draw from it at all. It was the first time in 2 months that I needed a vape and couldn't get one and I nearly panicked. Once I got to work, I found that it had juice between the stardust and the battery. I cleaned it out and it works again.

Samyaza

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
London, ON
More durable, Less chance for leaks, perhaps more streamlined and sexy like the stardust but holds more liquid and vapes as well as the Vivi.

If you find it, let me know ;)

The Vivi doesn't really leak (unless it's not threaded properly or the threads have been broken) and is pretty much one of the most durable tank clearos I have come across!

Tibby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2012
Oakley, Ca.
My Nova is begining to leach liquid from around the bottom threads. The tiny white clearish gaskets above the tank threads seems to get smashed. I was alittle rough on the tank attached to a ego twist. I am waiting on a new plastic tank shell and an ego shorty cone to keep the tank solid on the battery. Hope it fixes any issue because the Novas hit like a champ. I have heard of leaks on the metal nova tanks also. I have ordered a couple of Kanger's T3 clearos the other day. I have heard good things about that model. I would look into the ego shorty cone and try a carto tank too.

Black Strat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2012
Idaho
The threading on Vivis can be tricky, just make sure that when you thread the tank onto the base there are no gaps and don't force it on and ruin the threading otherwise it will always leak.

I like the Vivi Nova. Samy is right. The threads are so fine it is very easy to cross-thread the caps on the tank body. As long as you are very careful with it they will last a long time. If it gets cross-threaded though it may leak. The threading is so fine that it is hard to tell if it is crossed or not. The best method when replacing the caps is to set it against the threads, rotate it counter-clockwise first, then clockwise to tighten it. This helps ensure the threads are aligned properly.

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I just bought a 3.5 ViVi Nova from MyFreedomSmokes yesterday. Works like a champ. However, I noticed some slight leaking around the bottom threads twice already. Now keep in mind I made sure everything was nice and snug before I filled it and I haven't removed the bottom so cross threading is not a possibility unless they did it at the factory. So here's what I did. I took the whole darn thing apart. Cleaned everything and reassembled it. I literally just finished putting it back together so I don't have any news yet as to weather it's fixed or not but I just wanted to let everyone know they're not nutso. These things leak. Maybe not all of them but I guess we're just the lucky ones who got the select few. I'll report back when I see if the disassemble/clean/reassemble fixed the issue. If it doesn't, back to MFS I go...

UPDATE 11/17/12

I found the cause. It was the silicone o-ring on the bottom where it screws into the tank. Not sure if it was just compressed or had a nick I couldn't see or what. My buddy came over and gave me one from an old nova he had and it hasn't leaked since. I haven't found a place that sells just the o-rings but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have a few of these on hand.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Probably an issue caused by first assembly at the factory. One of mine has been sweating since day one. I have disassembled and cleaned it 3 times with use. Threads are spot on, good condition. More than likely the tiny seal o-ring at the base is not doing its job. Tank-threading may even be overlapping the the seal and juice is following the groove. New tank body or seal may fix this.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If the white silicone o-rings on Vivi Novas and Minis are lost or damaged, then leaking at the threads is inevitable. But the teflon tape fix works great. A roll of teflon tape is a couple of dollars at a big box or hardware store. Two circuits around the threads does the trick. Be sure you wind the tape on clockwise!

mediocre toker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If the white silicone o-rings on Vivi Novas and Minis are lost or damaged, then leaking at the threads is inevitable. But the teflon tape fix works great. A roll of teflon tape is a couple of dollars at a big box or hardware store. Two circuits around the threads does the trick. Be sure you wind the tape on clockwise!
I agree with this tip. I've had mine for 3 months now and they never leaked. I guessed that it was the o-ring in the top cap that was to blame and now I'm just gonna try PTFE plumbers tape to see if that solves the problem. If it does the I'll source some o-rings. Anyone know what size they are by chance?

DrillRX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
California, USA
I agree with this tip. I've had mine for 3 months now and they never leaked. I guessed that it was the o-ring in the top cap that was to blame and now I'm just gonna try PTFE plumbers tape to see if that solves the problem. If it does the I'll source some o-rings. Anyone know what size they are by chance?

I had the same problem also with the vivi stv 3.5. When screwing down the tank, the tank should have some resistance from the o-ring before it bottoms out on the base (this was not happening). I got some o-rings from my local hardware store (1.5mm x 10mm), they were a little too large but still work with my aluminum tanks for vivi. I ordered some 1mm x 10 and some 1.3mm x 10mm and the 1.3 seems to be just perfect for any vivi 3.5 tank I have. No leaks whatsoever. You might make sure to dab a little vasaline on the orings before assembly as they are very dry and might stick on the plastic or aluminum and tear.

Don't remember the vendors name for the o-rings I bought at the moment. I'll update when I get home and check.

Here's a link for the 1.3mm orings They are the "Buna-n-70"

1.3mm CS : The O-ring Store - Online O-rings, Hydraulic Seal Kits, and O-ring Kits, We make placing your o-ring order and getting your o-rings online easy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread