Vivi Nova v2.5 - EXTREMELY disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
Wow. People rave about them because they just plain work well.

You definitely have some kind of issue but hard to diagnose without seeing it.

I have 4 of them in use between my wife and I (and Mini's). Here is a picture of one I rescued from my wife to refill. She was still vaping on it.

I use either the 1.8 ohm head at 3.4-3.8 volts or the 2.4 ohm head at 4.1 volts.

No leaks, no burned hits. I put a drop of juice on the coil and wait a couple minutes and vape away.

I have noticed it takes about 0.5 ml to "break in" for best flavor/vapor.

They work well for you, sir. And I'm happy to hear that. Unfortunately when i look at the Tank Issues forum, it is littered with Vivi Nova problem threads. This would indicate that this piece is far from consistent.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Yah i just tried a new atomizer head. I got a couple good hits, then it was right back to tasting like junk. One thing i notice is that it feels like it's taking the coil abnormally long to heat up. Not to mention it doesn't seem like the center post is lined up center with the head screw-on cap.

There was a air gap between the coils silicone cover and head cap that took me 20 minutes of fidgeting to finally seal. Still tasting like crap though.

would these things indicate a center post that is offcenter?

It could be that the silicone coil cap is on upside down. I've been trying new heads to see if I can replicate the problems you're having. If the coil head is down too tight it works intermittently if it is too loose, same thing. I've found that just finger tight is best. (slippery finger at that)

Then I tried an old bottle of 50/50 pg/vg and had slower wicking. I normally run 70pg/30vg. The new heads work very well with that mix and apparently I have tuned the rebuilds to that viscosity.

one other thing. That little metal insert in the silicone tube needs to be pressed flat side down against the top of the coil head or the silicone tube will choke off the wick.

Last edited:

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
It could be that the silicone coil cap is on upside down. I've been trying new heads to see if I can replicate the problems you're having. If the coil head is down too tight it works intermittently if it is too loose, same thing. I've found that just finger tight is best. (slippery finger at that)

Then I tried an old bottle of 50/50 pg/vg and had slower wicking. I normally run 70pg/30vg. The new heads work very well with that mix and apparently I have tuned the rebuilds to that viscosity.

Yes I've tried flipping the silicone cap both ways. I put in a new head and it's performing better than the others, but still not up to my standards.

I'm watching videos on this thing constantly and everyone is saying how good the flavor is. I believe that they like it haha, i don't think they are lying. Maybe the flavor is just not going to be as good as other things I've used and i just have to accept that.

With all of that said, i haven't given up yet.

Also this thing wasn't exactly made for the provari. If you screw it on flush you get absolutely no air flow because the vent holes are on the connector. I have to leave it unscrewed a bit to get the air flowing. An adapter solves the problem, but then it doesn't look as sexy :p

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
You can screw it all the way down? I think we have found the problem. Take the coil head off and press down on the little metal post in the tube to move the post down. There should be about 1mm under the bottom cap and the top of the provari.

Attachments

• DSCF4361.jpg
    DSCF4361.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
These pics are for others who might have this problem. I got out my caliper and mine range from .75mm to 1.1mm. The best way to set the pin I have found is to press it out a bit then screw it on the mod until there is just about 1mm of space between them. Then screw the coil head on and see if you have continuity. If you don't take the coil head off and screw the base down a bit more. Rince and repeat.

Attachments

• DSCF4364.jpg
    DSCF4364.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCF4363.jpg
    DSCF4363.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
10 TIMES BETTER!!!!! loose connection = FAILLLLLL.

Ok so i guess now my only gripe would be that my center post is loose. Im still able to screw it down all the way, which means i can very easily loosen the connection, and have to go through the hassle of unfilling it and fixing it. This can be extremely inconvenient at work.

nonetheless at least i know this thing has potential. any advice for the loose post?

Speaking of posts, i will edit my OP and remove pbusardo & grimmgreen's names. i was extremely frustrated and i was channeling my anger.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
10 TIMES BETTER!!!!! loose connection = FAILLLLLL.

Ok so i guess now my only gripe would be that my center post is loose. Im still able to screw it down all the way, which means i can very easily loosen the connection, and have to go through the hassle of unfilling it and fixing it. This can be extremely inconvenient at work.

Huh... Don't screw it down all the way. :p I stop once I feel that it has made contact with the positive pin on the mod. It takes a light touch.

nonetheless at least i know this thing has potential. any advice for the loose post?

All the center posts will move if you over-tighten them. The pressfit gasket around the center posts have to be that way.

Last edited:

Black Strat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2012
Idaho
It seems this one can be chalked up to inconsistent Chinese QC. I am glad it was something along these lines. I could tell there was a problem since you were so frustrated and it is hard to understand how. Myself, my wife and two coworkers all use these with no problems.

I will say that periodically you will find something not quite right with something you purchase even though others love them. For example, I know a lot of people like the CE3's however, out of 5 only 2 worked for me. Those two worked well but one had almost no vapor production and two burned within the first 5 hits. I chalk that up to shoddy QC, probably not design since a lot of people like them and the two that worked did great. I just won't buy them anymore.

Just remember to be frustrated with China's QC instead of the vendor or members/reviewers who recommended an item. I am sure there are fake posts/reviews to sell products from unscrupulous vendors but for the most part people and vendors (such as Got Vapes) are sincere on ECF.

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
Yah so now i know what the problem is, but i still can't seem to get a consistent current.

I push the center post down so that the connector is poking out just a bit. Then i screw on the coil Nice and tight. Then i go to screw on the tank and i go nice and slow, constantly posing my fire button to see if connection was made.

It seems as though it won't fire until the tank is practically flush. I get a mediocre hit. I unscrew the tank and check the connection. Sure enough the center post has been pushed back up. Damn it!

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
That sucks. Because I rebuild these about once a week with cotton wicks I know them inside and out. I suspect you have mashed the little white gasket between the positive post and the ground on the bottom of the coil head. Possibly dislodged the wires that seat on either side of that gasket as well. I'd suggest PB's how to rebuild a vivi nova vid. It shows all the connection points you're dealing with.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6_b-uUKVJg

If you do rebuild one, reuse the little fiberglass insulator inside the coil head. It makes a difference.

Last edited:

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
Thank you for all of your patience and help my friend! I still have spare heads, so i will watch that vid tomorrow.

As of now, I've quit vaping for the night haha. I'm disappointed that I've spent the second half of my day off of work fiddling with some pieces of metal and plastic tubing :rolleyes:

You have yourselves a great night, I'll report back tomorrow

Black Strat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2012
Idaho
Oh, I just thought of something that I have encountered with the Stardust/Vivi Nova heads to check on: Out of about twenty heads, I found two in which the coil is correct on the labeled resistance but the coil wires themselves are not wrapped tightly around the wick. The head will still fire and still produce some vapor but the vapor production and flavor is way down. That one drove me nuts until I realized it was the head. I suspect that is also what happens on other devices which fire but make crappy vapor/flavor (such as on the CE3 that made hardly any vapor).

The easy way to check this is to gently pull on the wick to the side. If the coil moves with the wick, all is good. If the wick slides inside the coil without moving the coil, that head will be crappy. I learned to check the replacements before I go through the hassle of filling it and finding out it doesn't work!

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
So after a good nights sleep, Ive decided that i'm going to give up on the Vivi Nova for now.

I brought it to work with me and I'm only vaping at about 30% of my normal pace. I just don't find it satisfying. It's been nothing but headaches and fidgeting, and in the end, the best I've gotten it to perform is still nothing compared to what I get out of my dinky little CE3s. Vaping should not take this much effort.

It's a damn shame, this hardware is such a great concept. To be honest, to reason I'm so cranky about this being a fail is that I LOVED the way it looks on my provari. But at the end of the day, I'm sacraficing my vaping experience for aesthetics.

I write this knowing full well that not everyone has had the same experience as me, I'm only speaking from my own point of view. I'm sure that if I stuck with it and maybe bought another one that maybe I could get more positive results, but yesterdays experience was enough to just make me say eff it. Why screw around with this thing when i can just fill up a CE3 and be on my way? I wasted half a day off work fiddling with a Vivi Nova tank, and got nothing to show for it in the end.

Ill finish by sayign thank you VERY much to everyone who tried to help me. because of you guys i actually managed to get 5-10 great hits out of this thing!! (the sarcasm there is directed at the tank, not you guys haha).

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
Maybe try ordering from another supplier? I've never had a QC issue with any Vivi Nova orders to date. Shouldn't have to tweak them at all, they should be working well from your first fill up.

Atty heads are easily rebuilt for these as well. Watch Estarra's video on youtube, its great.

yah im sure somewhere down the road i will give them another go. right now i need to clear my head of them.

I have a few Kanger T3s coming to me via an ECF coop, so I'm going to go CE3 until those puppies show up and see how they are.

I've spent probably around $100 (that's obviously not even including the $240 I spent on my new Provari a couple weeks ago) this paycheck on vape stuff that I really don't need at all. That's a lot of money for me, and there's no sense in spending any more for now. i have my first child on the way, so i need to get out of the habit of just buying crap with my extra money haha.

Last edited:

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
That sucks. Because I rebuild these about once a week with cotton wicks I know them inside and out. I suspect you have mashed the little white gasket between the positive post and the ground on the bottom of the coil head. Possibly dislodged the wires that seat on either side of that gasket as well. I'd suggest PB's how to rebuild a vivi nova vid. It shows all the connection points you're dealing with.

edit: A PBusardo Tutorial - Vivi Nova Cleaning & Rebuilding - YouTube

If you do rebuild one, reuse the little fiberglass insulator inside the coil head. It makes a difference.

Just a side note - one thing I just tried while I was bored here at my cube:

First off, I watched the PBusardo video and he doesn't really address the center post connection issue. One thing I did notice that he very briefly mentions is that he cuts two triangular slits into the coil heads silicone cap, right where the wicks enter to allow better juice flow.

I gave this a shot at my desk. Unfortunately i cut them way too big so now the vapor is escaping into the tank itself and requires me to draw much harder and longer to get it all. While this clearly destroyed my vaping for the day (my own careless fault), it seems to me im tasting much more flavor. this could be completely in my head at this point, but i will try one more time with smaller slits when i get home before i completely give up on this.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
Not all devices are for everybody. You say you're allowing this to ruin vaping for you. If this doesn't work, move onto to something else. If you vape long enough, you'll run into quite a few things that just don't work for you. What more can you expect from something that originated in china where quality control is next to nil?

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
Not all devices are for everybody. You say you're allowing this to ruin vaping for you. If this doesn't work, move onto to something else. If you vape long enough, you'll run into quite a few things that just don't work for you. What more can you expect from something that originated in china where quality control is next to nil?

Its ruining vaping for me for today. The vivi nova is all i have with me and im at work. Ive been vaping since january, ive definitely been through my fair share of trial and error. its as simple as going home, unscrewing the vivi nova, screwing on my ce3, and sitting back and vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread