The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Voltage Booster Questions..

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by OSmudge, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. OSmudge

OSmudge New Member

Oct 1, 2018
    I'm looking to build a VW ecig mod. If I understand correctly, VW mods work by measuring the resistance of the coils, then regulating the output voltage to achieve your desired watts ( knowing that Volts^2 / Resistance = Watts).
    Using my stock ecig for reference, the voltage controller takes the single 18650's 3.7 volts, and steps it up to 5 volts at 50 watts at 0.5Ω.
    According to Ohm's law, Amps = Volts/Resistance.
    So in this case, the voltage controller outputs 10A (= 5v / 0.5Ω).
    At lower ohms and high watts, this would be even higher. My question is where I can find (or how I can build) a voltage booster capable of supplying 5v+ at 10A+ from 3.7v (or 7.2v, since I'll be running two batteries in the mod I create.)
    Thanks for any help or information!

2. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. SupplyDaddy

SupplyDaddy I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    The OKL2-T20 would be a good chip if you are looking to build a vape. 20Amps.
    Other boards are out there, including PWM and iPWM.
    Simple boosters aren't going to get you the amps you want, without a high cost. Most are 2, 2.5 amps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.