dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Overview.png

OVERVIEW

Since receiving this mod I have put on nearly 4,000 puffs in the last week and a half or so. I've tested it using iJoy 5 legged 20700s. It also accepts 18650s and 21700 although I neglected to try them.

Over the course of my 4,000 puff trial, I used a mixture of RTAs and RDAs. Using temperature control in a qp designs Juggerknot Mini; a Profile rda with mesh coil; and a Gear RTA, B2K, Drop Dead, and Goon 25 with NI80 coils.

The X217 is a 18650/2X700 dual battery mod. Features the same resin accents we saw on the Drag doors. The front has a large LED strip and 1.3' TFT IPS HD color screen.

Full technical specifications can be found on their website: X217 - Woody Vapes

PERFORMANCE

Voopoo claims that it has a max output of 217W or 7.5V and will fire down to a 0.05 ohm coil. The closest I came to utilizing the max power on this mod was when vaping a Goon 25 at 175W at just over 7V. The selling point of this mod, in my opinion, is the fact that it can take two 2X700 batteries. It's often dubious when I see a dual 18650 mod claim wattage output well into the mid to late 100Ws, let alone over 200W. In this case I think achieving that kind of performance is more realistic, and more importantly, you can vape at that kind of power with some semblance of longevity. Not only does the 2X700 battery option give us higher amperage batteries but it adds to the capacity as well. This bodes well for two usage cases: (1) those that vape in the regular 45-85W range that we often see with dual 18650 box modes, lending to longer runtimes; and (2) those that vape in excess of 100W, delivering high wattage with a longer than average run time.

My experience with temperature control was comparable to other mods in the price range. One issue I did have, however, was that the read resistance kept fluctuating between 0.20 and 0.23. While we can often see small changes in rebuildables as the coils 'settle', this was constant and had an impact on the quality of my vape. At 0.20 the vape was frail, at 0.23 it tasted burned; I had to constantly manually change the resistance to 0.22 after each battery change for it to perform as expected. I would not recommend this be your primary mod for temperature control usage but keep in mind that may have been due to a bad coil on my part, although I would find that surprising.

AESTHETIC

I was lucky enough to receive the X217 in a Gun Metal finish. I purposefully posted untouched/uncleaned pictures so you can see the wear that developed over the 4,000 puffs. The finish itself is beautiful although the materials are about what you would expect from a mass produced chinese mod.

ElatedFaintLeafwing-size_restricted.gif

The stand out aesthetic feature, first and foremost, is the large LED strip on the face of the mod. It does not seem to drain the battery any significant amount. While my original impression was that it looked a bit gaudy, it has definitely grown on me. The LED strip can be set a static Red, Green, or Blue; but also has a rainbow wave function similar to what you would see with an RGB keyboard or mouse. While I love the LED strip it's unfortunate that we are stuck with 3 solid colours. I would love to be able to match my bar to my tank and especially to the resin used for the accents. It would be great if Voopoo released a firmware update where we could input new colours via hexcode to really customize the mod.

Onto those resin accents. In my case I was extremely lucky. Not only is my blue resin beautiful, but it matches my Juggerknot Mini drip tip perfectly. While looking around for other examples, I came across a lot of these X217s that have resins that either do not match the colour scheme of the mod or that look extremely cheap. This was my main critique of the Voopoo Drag and the reason why I never purchased one. Unfortunately, in the case of the X217, I would highly recommend buying in person (and paying the brick and motar premium) so that you can make sure your resin accents are in line with your personal tastes.

Drip-Tip.png

On the aesthetic side, the part that I was most excited to see was the screen. Chinese designed interfaces often clash with my tastes. We often see serif fonts, clashing colours, clutter, and a general lack of refinement. Not only does the X217's screen look beautiful, but the UI is beautifully designed. The colours are tasteful and the icon and fonts are timeless.

Screen.png

FEEL & ERGONOMICS

While comfortable to hold, the mod does suffer from a significant case of gravity. Holding the two 2X700 batteries does make it heavier than most. Additionally, I find the finish to be quite 'slippery'. While the sides are textured with Faux-Fibre, this is not a mod I would take with me for any sort of outdoor activity where there's a chance of dropping the mod.

WHO WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS MOD TO?

I would recommend this mod to anyone who desires a sharp looking mod that performs well in the 100-180W range. Additionally, someone who needs long lasting battery life (e.g. long road trips) could benefit from the 2X700 upgrade. Keep in mind that the weight of the mod lends itself more to being a desk queen. The X217 is at home on a desk, especially for those rendering 8 hour shifts while working from home or perhaps a gamer spending as much or more time from the comfort of their office chair. I would not be surprised if this mod becomes the mod of choices for truckers, folks working the graveyard shift and need a dependable long lasting mod, and homebodies that use high wattage tanks or cloud chasing RDA/RTAs.

Pros
+ 2X700 (Battery Life, Power Output)
+ Menu

Cons
- Weight

Subjective
- Aesthetic
- Faux Fibre (I hate Carbon Fibre, sorry.)

Last edited:

Gallant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Dec 4, 2013
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    First impression

Very nice presentation gives it a high end feel & look

Solid build quality with a nice finish

Very comfortable to hold in hand even though it is 21700 but it is about the same size as Smoant Cylon

Screen is beautiful, bright & easy to read

LED lights auto alternate between Red, Blue, Green & Rainbow with the option to select one of them or turn them off

Power & Temp control experience are the same as the Drag

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    2x700s do kinda beat 26650s pretty badly as a form factor. They even did it too. I’m not sure if there are any 26650 devices being produced that weren’t also being produced before 2x700s came out.

A dual 2x700 is a pretty big mod. Better form factor than a dual 26650 though. Those things only ever made any sense in series tubes and you got a thing so big and fat it was practically a melee weapon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread