VTR Longevity. Thread issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tontomoses

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2013
Michigan
Hi all, searched for a while on here for this topic didn't find on (sorry if there is something already).

4 months in on and my VTR (was a gift brand new bought from craving vapor) threads seem to be shot. Tried many different tanks and cartos and they will all just spin never to tighten to snug. I have never over tightened or cross threaded and am very gentle with it. Can feel the play and wiggle too.. Really bummed as I love this thing.

Anyone else wore out their threads or dealt with return/warranty/repair of these after 4 months or is my gift a paperweight soon? It still fires now but can see the writing on the wall as the threads continue to get wallered out . Thanks all

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
I have 2 VTRs, both are from before the wheel was fixed. Mostly I use an IBTanked 19mm XL carto tank. But I have also tried the iClear 30b that comes with it.

If you have the tank on the left side, when you put a tank/clearo on it, the tank spins clockwise, and the wheel spins counter clockwise. If you spin the wheel a bit while putting the tank on it, it stays put and you don't get any of the erratic ohm readings.

Tontomoses

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2013
Michigan
It isn't the ohm reading issue, when I screw in my 19mm Ibtanked XL it reaches the point where it should snug, then it pops up and I can keep spinning it, nothing to do with the unfixed wheel. The wheel doesn't move a bit. The threads are clearly wore out and the threads on the cart aren't "biting" enough, and the slop and wiggle is incredible, across many generations of cartos too

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Tontomoses

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2013
Michigan
Using my old ZMAX was awful as I am now used to the performance and form factor of my VTR, so for now I'm using the little shim method and hope I can get some kind of warranty. Does anyone know if the new fixed wheel is the same type of metal that was used on the first generation VTR?

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Just a suggestion, but try a little Teflon plumbers tape on the tanks giving you the problems. I've noticed a lot of variations in thread quality from device to device with both 510 and 808, even from the same sources. Plumbers tape may snug things up for you but still allow the necessary electrical connection.

Tontomoses

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2013
Michigan
Just a suggestion, but try a little Teflon plumbers tape on the tanks giving you the problems. I've noticed a lot of variations in thread quality from device to device with both 510 and 808, even from the same sources. Plumbers tape may snug things up for you but still allow the necessary electrical connection.

That's a great idea... Thank you. I really am "addicted" to the form factor and used to the performance and don't want to go to a tube mod now that I've had this. I'll do that and maybe the vendor will help me out soon also. Thanks again

I am sorry if this is a stupid question but I have had one for a month but it gets little use because I have too many mods that were not being used so I started using my older ones as my all dayers but I am glad/mad to be on the lookout for trouble so thanks for the info. Here is my dumb question...Have you been using the adapter to connect or are you connecting directly to the bottom ? If you were using the bottom have you tried the adapter? I am sure you did but I figured better safe than sorry if you have not.

Tontomoses

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2013
Michigan
I am sorry if this is a stupid question but I have had one for a month but it gets little use because I have too many mods that were not being used so I started using my older ones as my all dayers but I am glad/mad to be on the lookout for trouble so thanks for the info. Here is my dumb question...Have you been using the adapter to connect or are you connecting directly to the bottom ? If you were using the bottom have you tried the adapter? I am sure you did but I figured better safe than sorry if you have not.

I do not use the adapter. I would probably just go with the MVP it I wanted the tank sitting so high, but I like having the tank behind the ring and lower, thank you!

Tontomoses

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2013
Michigan
Hope it helps you. I love my VTR and if it dies I'll replace it with another. I have a couple of Vamos and they are nice, but the VTR form factor is the greatest to me.

Yeah, I feel all out of whack using the long tube zmax... It isn't even that long, but I'm hooked on the form of this thing, and not snapping tanks off in my pocket or things like that. I just wish this metal wasn't so soft on the threads... Does anyone know if the new generation VTRS have the same soft metal threading?

Tontomoses

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2013
Michigan
It is getting worse and I'm having a hard time sending it in because I don't want to use my Zmax while it's gone (craving vapor will replace it... Awesome). Does anyone know if the new version's threads are the same metal? Concerned about this happening another 5 months down the road.

I only started having an issue with threading after dropping my VTR on the tank tip. A week later the threads were stripped, all tanks I have drop in. They still work they just have to be held down to fire. Its still usable just annoying to have to hold the tank down.

I also likely had a bad habit of over tightening the tanks down when I first got it and didnt know any better.

Dshobe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2014
Denver, CO
It is getting worse and I'm having a hard time sending it in because I don't want to use my Zmax while it's gone (craving vapor will replace it... Awesome). Does anyone know if the new version's threads are the same metal? Concerned about this happening another 5 months down the road.

That's great news about craving vapors, good company!

Sent from a van down by the river.

TexasVet

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2013
The Republic of ... TEXAS
Just rec'd my VTR today, old model-turnable wheel (specified), and after watching some more vids about the VTR I decided on this possible explanation:

After more viewing of pre Jan 2014 vids on the iTaste VTR I have drawn a conclusion on the reason for the turnable 510 connector. Once the atty is screwed in from the top, the wheel is turned to tighten the connection to the VTR. like, locks it in place.

I offer this idea due to some folks saying that some mods seem to strip out of the threads and some don't. I have no experience with other mods on the VTR but the IClear 30S supplied DID tighten a bit more with turning the wheel, after screwing in the atty.

Just trying to help with another observation. :)

This has no bearing on whether the connector actually engages the 510 connection on the atty or gives an erroneous reading/no reading. Just a statement on maybe why it turned. Now it doesn't on the newer ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread