VV devices OR LavaTUBE o.0?>......

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeTheV&pe

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2011
Winchester UK
Hi all, as the magpie I am at heart with shiney things I have been looking at the cool looking VV devices which amazingly have dropped in price since my last hardcore e-cig adventure.

Now Totally Wicked have the lavatube looking thing and I just wanted to pick your experianced brains over what the quality is like?, what gear fits this?, has anyone had the police try and accuse them of hitting the (MODERATED) because dammm it looks like something I would have used in my teens to get high :facepalm:.

Is there any other brands that you can reccomend that are not silly priced and pref a UK company/distrubutor?.

Cheers!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi Jake,

I haven't got a lavatube myself but I know of many folks that love them. There are much cheaper version than the rebranded Torpedo from TW.

This one is a great price - IMHO, best to choose the option to buy without batteries as I can't recommend using batteries in tandem. (I believe a 18650 battery fits)
VVtube starter kit

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I have a Lavatube and, so far, I've been very happy with it. It's more durable than it looks and feels more durable as well. I don't expect to be able to run 1.5ohm cartos at 5V and it doesn't particularly bother me if it says it's putting out 5V when it's really putting out 4.88V when the battery gets drained. I don't expect $200 performance from it, so I have no complaints.

I'm not sure what the prices are in the UK, but since Volcano's exclusive deal expired, just about every vendor around carries it under their own name. I have had no problem with any 510 devices fitting. I had to pull the center pole up a very tiny bit to make a DC tank fire, but they suck on a VV anyway. Everything else has worked fine. I stick to 2.5-3ohm devices mostly, in order to get the full spectrum of available voltages.

BTW, that little VV that Chrissie linked to isn't a very good choice, despite it cooler looks. For one thing, its limited to 2A. The lavatube has a 2.5A limit, which will limit a 1.5ohm carto to 3.7V. That one would make a LR carto pretty much unusable. From what I understand, it only takes a 2 battery set. An single lithium battery might physically fit in the tube, but the electronics are such that it wouldn't work right, since it would only have 3.7 V to work with instead of 7.4V. I believe it regulates the voltage down, rather than having a buck circuit to increase it. At any rate, it's built of all plastic, whereas the LT is metal. Also it costs to much in relation to a Lavatube. At least here, by the time you get batteries for it, it ends up costing very close to what a LT would. We can get them here in the US for $30. By the time you add $25 for a charger and batteries and perhaps another $5 for shipping, you're at $60 and you can get a LT full kit w/2 batteries, 5 cartos and shipping for $62USD.

Last edited:

Boognish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2012
Chocolate Town
THE ALL NEW LAVA-TUBE

Its finally here !!! The All New Lava-tube. This new unit is dramatically Improved in performance and functions. Though it may look the same this new and improved model has a higher amperage limit and new added functions.

* NEW 3.2 AMP LIMIT !!
* New onscreen display with much better visibility
* New On Screen battery meter
* New 5 click ON/OFF
** New RESISTANCE/OHM CHECK (displays the ohm of atty)

These are the new added functions along with all the functions of the previous version. With the higher amperage limit of 3.2 amps the performance is much better.
**Copied this from C.C.V.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Yep, that's the V 1.5 Lavatube. I've seen them selling for as much as $100, but at least one vendor has them for $69, which is a steal. I understand they'll be coming out with a V 2.0 by this summer. That one should drive down the prices of all of them, including the new Smoketech VV, which is a pretty beastly PV itself.

Boognish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2012
Chocolate Town
Yep, that's the V 1.5 Lavatube. I've seen them selling for as much as $100, but at least one vendor has them for $69, which is a steal. I understand they'll be coming out with a V 2.0 by this summer. That one should drive down the prices of all of them, including the new Smoketech VV, which is a pretty beastly PV itself.

$51 for the unit by itself, shipped! I had to get one at that price.

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
Well I've never used one myself, but other than hardware defects (hardly the vendor's fault, any place with a halfway decent warranty will take care of this) I haven't heard a single bad thing about them. Cheaper than some higher end pieces, more expensive than some lower end pieces. I'd do with the chrome model ;P

Ratchet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread