Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I've been washing my interior walls including ceilings, woodwork, furniture, wall decor, flooring, etc.. Embarrassingly, I am cleaning off nicotine stains from when I smoked in the house. They don't go away until you remove them. I'm using an aggressive cleaner (TSP - trisodium phosphate) and it's doing a great job on the painted walls and woodwork. Fortunately, there is a high quality paint on the walls that hold up to the TSP. Lesser quality paints don't always. Feels good to have everything clean and void of nicotine stains. Looks better and smells better.

Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone can speak from experience...does vaping stain the walls? People call that disgusting yellowing on walls, "nicotine stains". But I don't think it is nicotine but rather the combustible materials from cigarettes. Just wondering what vaping does to walls/ceilings.

Matty316

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2014
Hull, England
Never noticed any staining on any of my walls from vaping. I have noticed over time a thin layer of vg building up on my windows and shiny surfaces. It feels slightly sticky to the touch but is easily cleaned off with a damp cloth.

I should say that I do vape high vg liquid 80% or higher. If you vape higher pg it's not such a problem.

Rathamar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Mound - Minnesota, USA
Well I cannot speak to my home as I have only been there a year and the one I moved from I had smoked in, but I can tell you in my Jeep what Matty316 stated seems to be correct. While my Windows and mirror will develop a film layer that is easily removed, none of the other surfaces in there do.

In my den (where I do most of my vaping) I have a wood accent wall, that after a year of vaping has not stained in any way. This is an unfinished and untreated wood wall that is made old salvaged wood if that helps.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I remember washing walls and having the water almost pizzz yellow from both smoking and a wood fireplace. Now all there is in the bucket is dirty water. When I installed a pellet stove 5 years ago and cleaned our cedar ceiling of the years of soot and smoke along with many buckets, something I don't want to have to do again.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
I've been washing my interior walls including ceilings, woodwork, furniture, wall decor, flooring, etc.. Embarrassingly, I am cleaning off nicotine stains from when I smoked in the house. They don't go away until you remove them. I'm using an aggressive cleaner (TSP - trisodium phosphate) and it's doing a great job on the painted walls and woodwork. Fortunately, there is a high quality paint on the walls that hold up to the TSP. Lesser quality paints don't always. Feels good to have everything clean and void of nicotine stains. Looks better and smells better.

Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone can speak from experience...does vaping stain the walls? People call that disgusting yellowing on walls, "nicotine stains". But I don't think it is nicotine but rather the combustible materials from cigarettes. Just wondering what vaping does to walls/ceilings.
The yellow stain from cigs is the tar deposits. I worked at a gas station ages ago, and we had an ashtray by the register that never got cleaned. Eventually the tar built up into a giant chunk nearly as long as a ciggy. When I decided to clean the darn thing, that tar ball was just like the black stuff on the parking lot and stunk like ashtray. It was both disgusting and fascinating.

I haven't noticed anything from vaping inside except for a little clear residue on the glass.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
If I remember correctly, @Bronze , you are a 70/30 vaper also? I haven't had any staining anywhere.

I think, from what I have observed on the forum all these years, higher VG vapers tend to get a clear film on their car windshields but nothing that is colored.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Has anyone done a white glove test?
Just did a white tissue test on my monitor. I spend an insane amount of time in front of my monitor. I don't think I have ever officially cleaned it....just dusted once in a great while.

Clean. No stain of any kind.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I don't vape in the kitchen much and our fireplace is sealed, which just leaves vapor, animal and human dander in my office. The dog is white and sheds like a show blower and his tends to clump up on the floor (FYI, if you ever dropped your atty during a rebuild and missed some dog hair like I just did, you'll discover it tastes nutty when vaped. But it's a horrible but nutty taste so you have to wash your atty out. Seriously, its awful. Remember back when you were a kid and you were eating over at your friend's house and the dinner was made by is grandma from the old world who survived WWII and as a result, will cook things that taste like they were made from captured rat but your mom told you never to spit anything out of your mouth because it's impolite? Some you'd sit there chewing, hoping it would get caught in your windpipe and you would die so you wouldn't have to taste it anymore? Yeah, it's like that, except you can spit because you aren't at home and won't offend an old person with broken English). Human dander just wipes up. Vapor dust is a fine dust. Sometimes, depending on conditions, it will accumulate wet but water warm still wipes it up.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've had to pick the odd stray dog hair off my coil when I wrap. I do look closely to make sure there isn't any, so I can't confirm your description, but I am sure it is most unpleasant. The smell of burning hair, dog or otherwise, it quite distinctive, and not something I'd want to inhale on purpose.

TheTinMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2016
North Carolina
I don't vape in the kitchen much and our fireplace is sealed, which just leaves vapor, animal and human dander in my office. The dog is white and sheds like a show blower and his tends to clump up on the floor (FYI, if you ever dropped your atty during a rebuild and missed some dog hair like I just did, you'll discover it tastes nutty when vaped. But it's a horrible but nutty taste so you have to wash your atty out. Seriously, its awful. Remember back when you were a kid and you were eating over at your friend's house and the dinner was made by is grandma from the old world who survived WWII and as a result, will cook things that taste like they were made from captured rat but your mom told you never to spit anything out of your mouth because it's impolite? Some you'd sit there chewing, hoping it would get caught in your windpipe and you would die so you wouldn't have to taste it anymore? Yeah, it's like that, except you can spit because you aren't at home and won't offend an old person with broken English). Human dander just wipes up. Vapor dust is a fine dust. Sometimes, depending on conditions, it will accumulate wet but water warm still wipes it up.

I just fell out of bed laughing so hard.

Reactions: GeorgeS

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I think a question towards vape shop owners who allow vaping in the store would have the real answer....
lots of vape residue can accumilate in there ;)
Or someone that drives a crap ton and chainvapes in their vehicle.

My eyeglasses get a bit funky from vaping, but a quick wash with warm water and soap cleans then right up.

Reactions: Bronze

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Vaping does not stain the walls or ceiling. Hubby and I have been vaping in our home for a bit over 5 years now and all I have had to do is dust the walls occasionally. We don't blow massive clouds though and someone that does MIGHT have a bit of clear film that might need to be washed off but I don't know if even that would happen. It wasn't the nicotine that stained everything. It was the tar in the smoke that did it. JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread