RDA Warning for Dot Mod Petri RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the misfortune of ruining my new Petri. The positive screw that goes through the deck to hold the positive post on is very, very easy to strip. Technically, I believe it was the threads on the post that stripped. Regardless, it stripped so bad that it wouldn't even hold together anymore. I didn't even get to try it out! But on a side note, I notified the vendor I purchased it from (Local vape) explaining what happened. I specifically stated that it was my own dumb fault and inquired to see if they could check with the modder to see if I could purchase a new positive post/screw. The reply was an attached shipping label with instructions to mail it back (the whole atomizer) so that they could send another one. I was blown away.

Oxymandias

Mar 5, 2015
Houston, TX, USA
Yeah I would agree it's not your fault. That exact thing has happened to me on 2 Goblins (after 2 builds, and then after 1 build) and an El Cabron (after about 5 builds). Unfortunately for me, the shop I bought the El Cabron from basically told me get ....ed, that I must've done something wrong to cause it to strip. So I'll call CompVape, but I was glad to hear the same thing happened to someone else, so at least I know I'm not crazy!
-Mental Note: Buy my next RDA from Local Vape!

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
I will put this here since mine is also a warning. This is going to be long winded, sorry, but for a $100 RDA it needs to be put out there.

I was very much looking forward to getting this RDA, since everyone (I have seen) that has one raves about it. Well I got mine yesterday, and the level of disappointment is huge. I take it out of the packaging, looks awesome. As with everything I receive, I inspect it and get it ready for an initial cleaning. I take out the screws in the deck and gently try and work the delrin up over the posts. I notice the positive post is also loose from just taking out the screws in the deck, didn't think anything about it at first. So I figure out I can pull the positive post up with the deck. As I'm working it up the 510 pin (that I haven't touched to this point) drops out the bottom. Again, didn't think anything about it at this point since I just got it and don't yet understand the design.

So I get the deck off with the positive post and the design makes sense to me now. 510 pin screws into the positive which is offset, okay, simple 2 post concept. Now I'm thinking, why didn't I need to unscrew the 510 pin to release the positive post...hmmmm. So I reassemble it, push the deck down flush, put the 510 pin in and it just spins, never catching the positive post. I push down on the deck, thinking maybe the tolerances are just really close, nope, nothing I did allowed it to catch the threads. So I remove the delrin deck and try to attach the 510 pin and positive post without it. Nada, and now I can see the 510 screw is halfway through the threads on the positive post but not threading. Well ****, that is obviously stripped out.

I get errors can happen, and if that was the only thing, I could probably have just RMA'd it for another, I mean how often do you need to remove the 510 pin. As I was putting it back together I noticed the negative post was off center. I'm thinking, that's odd, isn't it milled into the deck?? I take a closer look and it is in fact NOT milled into the deck. So I attempt to center the post, that I am able to twist it with my fingers. Well this can't be good, how long is this going to hold up when I will be torquing the screws all the time. As I am turning the post, it ******* just pops off!?!?! Whaaaaat? The negative post is PRESS FIT on to a very small milled post on the deck....really?? To make it even worse, that milled connection is round, so it is just a matter of time before that negative post loosens up and spins. There is nothing to hold it in place but hope and prayers. If you are going to make that design decision, wouldn't a square press fit connection make a ton more sense....ugh. The negative post should be milled into the deck, why make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Anyway, needless to say, it is getting returned for a refund and my search continues for a functional 2 post RDA. I also ordered from Local Vape, who didn't give me any issue returning it, at least not at this point.

tl;dr
Showed up with stripped positive post.
Negative post is press fit to the deck onto a round milled piece on the deck.
Nice to look at, but not likely to last due to design.
Save your money.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
I will put this here since mine is also a warning. This is going to be long winded, sorry, but for a $100 RDA it needs to be put out there.

I was very much looking forward to getting this RDA, since everyone (I have seen) that has one raves about it. Well I got mine yesterday, and the level of disappointment is huge. I take it out of the packaging, looks awesome. As with everything I receive, I inspect it and get it ready for an initial cleaning. I take out the screws in the deck and gently try and work the delrin up over the posts. I notice the positive post is also loose from just taking out the screws in the deck, didn't think anything about it at first. So I figure out I can pull the positive post up with the deck. As I'm working it up the 510 pin (that I haven't touched to this point) drops out the bottom. Again, didn't think anything about it at this point since I just got it and don't yet understand the design.

So I get the deck off with the positive post and the design makes sense to me now. 510 pin screws into the positive which is offset, okay, simple 2 post concept. Now I'm thinking, why didn't I need to unscrew the 510 pin to release the positive post...hmmmm. So I reassemble it, push the deck down flush, put the 510 pin in and it just spins, never catching the positive post. I push down on the deck, thinking maybe the tolerances are just really close, nope, nothing I did allowed it to catch the threads. So I remove the delrin deck and try to attach the 510 pin and positive post without it. Nada, and now I can see the 510 screw is halfway through the threads on the positive post but not threading. Well ****, that is obviously stripped out.

I get errors can happen, and if that was the only thing, I could probably have just RMA'd it for another, I mean how often do you need to remove the 510 pin. As I was putting it back together I noticed the negative post was off center. I'm thinking, that's odd, isn't it milled into the deck?? I take a closer look and it is in fact NOT milled into the deck. So I attempt to center the post, that I am able to twist it with my fingers. Well this can't be good, how long is this going to hold up when I will be torquing the screws all the time. As I am turning the post, it ******* just pops off!?!?! Whaaaaat? The negative post is PRESS FIT on to a very small milled post on the deck....really?? To make it even worse, that milled connection is round, so it is just a matter of time before that negative post loosens up and spins. There is nothing to hold it in place but hope and prayers. If you are going to make that design decision, wouldn't a square press fit connection make a ton more sense....ugh. The negative post should be milled into the deck, why make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Anyway, needless to say, it is getting returned for a refund and my search continues for a functional 2 post RDA. I also ordered from Local Vape, who didn't give me any issue returning it, at least not at this point.

tl;dr
Showed up with stripped positive post.
Negative post is press fit to the deck onto a round milled piece on the deck.
Nice to look at, but not likely to last due to design.
Save your money.

So apart from that, whats the problem?
Seriously isn't this thing gold plated also? Seems bizarre that a high-end device can have so many obvious design faults. Crazy!

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
So apart from that, whats the problem?
Seriously isn't this thing gold plated also? Seems bizarre that a high-end device can have so many obvious design faults. Crazy!
I'm guessing you are being facetious. I was surprised as well, this is the first RDA I have spent more than $40 on. I favor RTA's over RDA's, but not when it comes to Ni coils. Nickel coils perform best when you have ample room to work with and do not need to manipulate the legs to the posts (bends and such), which is why I was willing to spend $100 for a 2 post RDA, there just are not many to choose from. To receive it with 2 major flaws right out of the box is bizarre, and I am sure, based off reviews, uncommon. Like the OP stated though, he fairly easily stripped out the threads in the positive post, so just based off that, and my experience, I would consider it a major design flaw. How long is it really going to last with use, but that isn't even my biggest concern. The way the negative post is "attached", that seems like an inevitable problem as well as there will be frequent torque applied when installing coils.

If it was a $40 RDA, then sure, a few months use and I would feel I got my monies worth, but at $100, I should feel confident it will last as long as I want to use it. Local Vape offered to replace it, and as much as I would like to use a functioning unit, I know it is going to end up being a waste of money.

Like I told DotMod in my email the them, "I'm more than willing to pay for quality, but quality is more than just working out of the box (which this didn't even do). Quality is being able to actually stand up to use over time."

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Oh yep, You are right. I'm sorry... I just remembered it was a two post rda. I was looking at new rda's .. Hope you guys have better luck with the dotmod. I was gonna get one, but now I might wait too
In my communications with DotMod they said there is a V2 to be released in 2 or 3 months, though I'm sure that can change, but it may be worth holding off for the revision.

I really hope they ditch the gold plating, it doesn't add anything but sparkle. Spend that money somewhere that improves something meaningful.

melodiousThunk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2009
san francisco
The Petri is simple and it should be great. But my experiences with it matched Randy's. I encountered all of the same issues.

The concept is good, but they just didn't execute well. I got the feeling that the first version, in all the flavor-of-the-month colors, was a rush job to bring in the money quick. It's like they brainstormed for 8 hours, sketched it out on napkins and worked from that.

In this industry, it's not an unusual business model to rush v1 out with flaws then release v2 two months later for $20-40 more. I get it. It's a product business. The initial costs are high and most of these companies are run by a small group of designers/engineers/craftspeople. It's a large capital outlay. Still, we don't have to buy 'em.

The only thing that's well-executed about the Petri is the visual design: the logo, the colors, the shape, the gold… which I really hate in attys: it's soft, it's eventually gonna flake off like the Teflon in your non-stick pan, and there are far better conductive metals.

But they're not as shiny.

I expected the Petri to be a solid, simple, well-designed 2 post dripper. Oh well. I'll wait for later versions. Or skip it. I love the original Hobo, and I am really looking forward to vaping v3.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread