Warning Pic Thread - Another reason to not leave your batteries in the charger unattended

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWarspite

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
My father left these 2 rcr123's in the charger overnight. This happened while he slept and nearly burnt the house down. The heat was so great it cracked the glass shelf it was sitting on and sent current back through the switch destroying/burning the stereo that was plugged into the same outlet.

IMG_0239.jpg

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Great thread,, I have always preached - NEVER leave batteries charging unattended. Im glad the house didnt burn down, but perhaps this thread will save someone elses life or house.

Another thing is - NEVER leave batteries in a device you are not using. I have preached this over and over - BUT - I did it myself last week. Left a batt in a JGG, I THOUGHT I unscrewed telescope and locked the button. I would have swore I did - but I went out and ran my dogs for 30 minutes, came back to vape, the JGG was so hot I couldnt touch it. Grabbed a couple towels, got out the batt and threw it in the snow. Lesson learned again by a longtime vaper. You can never be too careful.

Thanks again Warspite

MrWarspite

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
yeah im sure those were rechargeable batteries. I suppose it could have been the panasonic mini stereo that's in the picture but I think its more likely the cheap trustfire batteries and charger were the culprits.

I'll ask him about the breaker.

I was thinking of also telling him to have an electrician come in and pull the outlet to make sure the wiring in the wall didnt burn off its coating.

I don't mean to quibble for the sake of quibbling, but looking at that photo how do you know it wasn't a fault in the television?

What was the circuit breaker situation in the scenario? Did it ever trip for that outlet?

Lastly, are you sure he put rechargeable 123's in there?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Great thread,, I have always preached - NEVER leave batteries charging unattended. Im glad the house didnt burn down, but perhaps this thread will save someone elses life or house.

I agree dspin. A while back we had a thread asking if people charge batteries while they are sleeping. It amazed me how many of us do this. 'Us' being ECF'ers (and a lot of veterans) who should know by now battery fires in chargers can and do happen.

I think it's human nature to think 'it doesn't happen often so it'll never happen to me'.

Another thing is - NEVER leave batteries in a device you are not using. I have preached this over and over - BUT - I did it myself last week. Left a batt in a JGG, I THOUGHT I unscrewed telescope and locked the button. I would have swore I did - but I went out and ran my dogs for 30 minutes, came back to vape, the JGG was so hot I couldnt touch it. Grabbed a couple towels, got out the batt and threw it in the snow. Lesson learned again by a longtime vaper. You can never be too careful.

Thanks again Warspite

We can't even keep people from charging batteries unattended, IMO taking batteries out of devices is just not going to happen. I mainly use mech mods, three of four of which have bottom buttons and making sure they don't fire when I'm not there concerns me too. I don't take the batteries out, just back off the telescope and lock them. The thing is you have to be vigilant about doing it, same as for taking the batteries out.

This is not only important with mech mods. The only mod I ever had turn on by itself was an old LavaTube that I was having problems with.

I doubt any device with batteries in it will ever be completely safe, but not charging overnight is so easy to do, why not do it. Doesn't really matter what causes a fire, if you're sleeping when it happens it will likely be worse than if you're awake. But I think for the majority of people, this is also just not going to happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread