WARNING To those who own a Joyetech Cuboid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ablueleopard

May 24, 2016
Okay, so i own a Joyetech Cuboid.. It was perfectly fine until i placed it on a small piece of wire i had left on my table. So i placed it on my table and saw a bright orange flash underneath, me going into silly panic mode, i picked the mod up and ripped the battery door open and took the batteries out in attempt to throw them outside. But.. it wasn't the batteries that had shorted, they were cold. No, as i took the batteries out i smelt the similar smell of what new drills give off, like a plasticy rubbery saw dust smell. Although the mod works ok, I'm not using it as i does smell a lot like the time i accidentally shorted out a transistor and it started smoking. Something is definitely fried so please keep your cuboid away from metal objects, especially underneath. My battery wraps aren't damaged either so this is a design flaw.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Looking at the pictures of the Cuboid online appears the wire went inside the vent holes and shorted out to ground.
Cuboid_05.png

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I wish I could answer that question with so little information but I am sorry in my opinion that is impossible. First it needs to be known what shorted and many other things before you can make that judgement. Was it just that a battery shorted to ground or was it part of the board that was ground out?

Good Luck and I hope you find that it was only a minor issue!

Ablueleopard

May 24, 2016
So if it just shorted does that mean its safe to continue using? It works fine, i just haven't fired an atomiser on it since the incident
The smell is coming from inside the battery door, not the board itself so
I wish I could answer that question with so little information but I am sorry in my opinion that is impossible. First it needs to be known what shorted and many other things before you can make that judgement. Was it just that a battery shorted to ground or was it part of the board that was ground out?

Good Luck and I hope you find that it was only a minor issue!

From what i can tell, something shorted out inside the battery gate. The

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Take some pictures of the inside and outside of the battery door plus the batteries and maybe it will be helpful in trying to determine if there was any possible damage. Please understand that any diagnosis done in this thread is only at it best going to be a best guess because no one will actually have the device in hand and able to properly examine it. Helpful surely by in no way a certification that it is still safe. <- Disclaimer??? :w00t:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I would put the batteries in, put an atty on, go outside and see if it works. Cuboid has safety features built in. If it works, great. If it doesn't work, dang. Take it outside to prevent any damage to your home if there is a catastrophic failure of the mod. Maybe wear heavy, leather gloves when firing it. Don't try to vape it at first. Just see if it fires the atty.

Reactions: opticruby

Royalgipsy

Dec 7, 2016
Propably arcing from the battery door being shorted by wire getting in the vent holes.. I'd be very surprised if you damaged anything else than maybe a litle black mark, that is removable.. But hey you're right it's kinda design law, but safe if you know about it.. But it shouldn't be any poles directly inside of the holes..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread