Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Yeah... That's kinda the Rub in Most things. Who Decides?
I've heard that there once was a time when the government gathered the best and the brightest into agencies that could use their specialized knowledge to facilitate policy decisions for the good of the people. What happened?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I've heard that there once was a time when the government gathered the best and the brightest into agencies that could use their specialized knowledge to facilitate policy decisions for the good of the people.
Seriously? When was that?

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
Just to clarify, that's actually Judge Garland's concurring opinion.
Correct.

The FDA could choose not to apply all of that cigarette specific regulation to vapor products, but they don't seem to be inclined to do so.
Right. They show no signs of easing off at all.

I don't think any anti-cigarette zealots (the FDA is probably full of such people) will ever think reasonably about, or be accepting of, e-cigarettes for one big reason. People who vape generally exhale a vapor that reminds the zealots of seeing smoke exhaled from a real cigarette. The anti's will never be able to mentally get past their hatred for that action/appearance.

One of the most appealing things to a smoker about switching to e-cigarette use -- exhaling a vapor that resembles smoke -- is the very thing that drives the Anti Nicotine and tobacco Zealots (ANTZ) nutz.

The FDA isn't about to ease off on how badly it wants to smash e-cigarettes to smithereens.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Correct.

I don't think any anti-cigarette zealots (the FDA is probably full of such people) will ever think reasonably about, or be accepting of, e-cigarettes for one big reason. People who vape generally exhale a vapor that reminds the zealots of seeing smoke exhaled from a real cigarette. The anti's will never be able to mentally get past their hatred for that action/appearance.

One of the most appealing things to a smoker about switching to e-cigarette use -- exhaling a vapor that resembles smoke -- is the very thing that drives the Anti Nicotine and Tobacco Zealots (ANTZ) nutz.

The FDA isn't about to ease off on how badly it wants to smash e-cigarettes to smithereens.

This raises another important point about third classification. ANTZ would be hip to this the moment we became public about it (on forums and blogs, and for sure by time we went to try and legislate change). You think they'd just back off and say, 'oh okay, now that it's no longer being considered a tobacco product, we'll go easy on you all?' IMO, they'd go for the kill and argue vehemently with legislators that it ought to be outright banned. Compromise for them would be ban 85% of it and 15% of can maybe be allowed, as long as it is taxed and all that tax money goes to funding anti type propaganda.

They'd probably thank us along the way for this new classification. While we are busy still doing cartwheels from it no longer being under the FDA's jurisdiction.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Correct.

One of the most appealing things to a smoker about switching to e-cigarette use -- exhaling a vapor that resembles smoke -- is the very thing that drives the Anti Nicotine and Tobacco Zealots (ANTZ) nutz.

And when you consider that many ANTZ are supportive of smoking and vaping other stuff, it's dizzying contradiction upon contradiction.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
This raises another important point about third classification. ANTZ would be hip to this the moment we became public about it (on forums and blogs, and for sure by time we went to try and legislate change). You think they'd just back off and say, 'oh okay, now that it's no longer being considered a tobacco product, we'll go easy on you all?' IMO, they'd go for the kill and argue vehemently with legislators that it ought to be outright banned. Compromise for them would be ban 85% of it and 15% of can maybe be allowed, as long as it is taxed and all that tax money goes to funding anti type propaganda.

They'd probably thank us along the way for this new classification. While we are busy still doing cartwheels from it no longer being under the FDA's jurisdiction.
15% would be better than 0.1% but you're right, I do think they would still try to kill the industry. Imagine though if they were actually required to provide proof of what they suggest, instead of falling back on it's tobacco, and we need to protect the children from becoming future tobacco addicts.

Reactions: Jman8

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I've heard that there once was a time when the government gathered the best and the brightest into agencies that could use their specialized knowledge to facilitate policy decisions for the good of the people. What happened?
It appears they all turned out to be little sneaky conniving weasels.
I should know, I'm a little weasel. I just have to work on the sneaky and conniving part.
:D
Regards
Mike

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

The best and the Brightest?

:lol:

;)

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Yeah, that was when we had chain-smoking engineers who knew how to get things done. :D

And just before the Great Society, Medicare and Guns & Butter got a head of steam on. :) Johnson got started all Kennedy's programs and started a few of his own. Smoking was allowed in the White House.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Thank goodness for LOX/LH2 and nicotine!
Does this look like a hydrogen flame to you?

6a00d8341bf67c53ef017d3d759ecf970c-800wi.jpg

OK, the upper stages burned LH2. By what got that puppy off the ground was RP1, aka Kerosene.
bPPQnZ8.gif

Reactions: MacTechVpr

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Yeah, that was when we had chain-smoking engineers who knew how to get things done. :D

The first engineering department that I worked in (1970s) had ashtrays everywhere. Most of the old timers had a bottle in their desks too ...

They had no computers, no CAD systems, just a slide rule and a pencil. And one cigarette behind the ear, another dangling from the lips ...

The classic story of mid-20th century engineering was the design cycle of the P-51 Mustang ...

The prototype NA-73X was rolled out in September 1940, just 102 days after the order had been placed; it first flew on 26 October 1940, 149 days into the contract, an uncommonly short gestation period even during the war.

North American P-51 Mustang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread