Status
Not open for further replies.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
I am now 2 months tobacco free. I have been using mostly 18mg nicotine in a 70pg/30vg mix in all of the liquids I order. I think it is about time to start weaning myself off of the nicotine. My question is should I stick with the same pg/vg ratio while lowering the nicotine amount??? I have stuck with 70/30 because I am really leery about trying different ratios and not liking them. The first company I ordered from 70/30 was the only option so I have stuck with it. I really don't want to lose flavor. That is the biggest thing. I have found that I mostly like tobacco and coffee flavors with some sweetness. My vendor of choice has become EC Blends and I am also addicted to Halo's Tribeca. Don't like fruity or dessert flavors. As far as throat hit I can't say out of all of the liquids I have tried I get throat hit at all. Or maybe I just don't notice it. So that is not an issue either. Also at what steps should I start dropping nicotine and how fast.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I am now 2 months tobacco free. I have been using mostly 18mg nicotine in a 70pg/30vg mix in all of the liquids I order. I think it is about time to start weaning myself off of the nicotine. My question is should I stick with the same pg/vg ratio while lowering the nicotine amount??? I have stuck with 70/30 because I am really leery about trying different ratios and not liking them. The first company I ordered from 70/30 was the only option so I have stuck with it. I really don't want to lose flavor. That is the biggest thing. I have found that I mostly like tobacco and coffee flavors with some sweetness. My vendor of choice has become EC Blends and I am also addicted to Halo's Tribeca. Don't like fruity or dessert flavors. As far as throat hit I can't say out of all of the liquids I have tried I get throat hit at all. Or maybe I just don't notice it. So that is not an issue either. Also at what steps should I start dropping nicotine and how fast.

When I started vaping I was at 24mg. I'm now down to 12 and the order I should be getting in the mail tomorrow, is 12 and 6mg. I will be mixing 50/50 the 12 and 6 to get 9mg. I've not had a problem stepping down, but, I do keep on hand higher nic liquids just in case.

I vape the same 70/30 ratio as you and have not had a problem with flavor loss. If anything, I seem to get more flavor with the loss of the nic overpowering the flavor. If you can, go to 15mg and stay there for a couple of months so your body adjusts.

I would have both 15 and 18mg in the same or even different flavors and just grab whatever struck my fancy Without paying attention to what the strength was. After a while I could actually tell that the 18mg was harsher. I stayed with 15mg for a couple of months and the do the same with the 12 and 15mg.

I started vaping in September so it's been... 8 months and I'm now just getting ready for this next drop. This will be my 5th drop down. I wish my vendor had 9mg but, alas they don't, so I will create my own. :)

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
Funny thing is when I made my first order from EC Blends they sent me a free sample of Dragons Leaf. I vaped it a few times before I even realized it was 0% nicotine. So I am thinking maybe the drop in nicotine may not have a drastic effect on me. It has always seemed to be the hand to mouth addiction with me more than anything. And as long as I have that I should be good. Might just bump upthe flavor on my regulars like RY4, RY7 and Dragon's Brew to compensate. Just don't wanna drop all the way from 18mg to 0mg in one shot for regular vaping. Think I may just drop to 12mg which was what I actually ordered with my V2 kit when I started on this venture.

I take it dropping to a 60/40 or 50/50 will give me a reduction in flavor.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
Planning to cut down on nic myself. Once a friend gets around to DIY juices, plan is to set up an experiment. We'll be mixing juices for each other with secret nic content. No higher than usual, tho.

Good luck. I just don't have the time or the patience for DIY. I found at least four flavors that I can keep in rotation that I really like so no need to deviate from that.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Planning to cut down on nic myself. Once a friend gets around to DIY juices, plan is to set up an experiment. We'll be mixing juices for each other with secret nic content. No higher than usual, tho.

In a way that was my theory. What my mind did not know, my body wouldn't miss. So far it's worked :)

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
I just got my first order of 6mg and I don't really miss the extra nic. I can take huge puffs without overdoing the throat burn.

So does higher levels of nicotine really affect throat hit. As I stated I just don't seem to notice throat hit or maybe just not picking up on exactly what it is. My biggest concern is flavor and vapor loss.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
So does higher levels of nicotine really affect throat hit. As I stated I just don't seem to notice throat hit or maybe just not picking up on exactly what it is. My biggest concern is flavor and vapor loss.

Nicotine does simulate more throat hit. From what I can gather, throat hit can mean a couple of things. The harshness of nic hitting the back of the throat like a cig would do. Or the warmth of the vapor hitting the throat. A theory I have, not saying this is true but I do wonder, those that vape at very high temps I think are needing a strong throat hit.

If you don't miss or need it, don't worry about it. I get a very slight hit just enough to let me know I have vapor in my mouth. But I like a cooler vape anyway. I notice nic more on my tongue than I do in my throat. It's that peppery feeling/taste.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
Just want to point of the huge savings from DIY-ing ones juice when lowering nic content. Doesn't have to be hard. Some vendors offer concentrates of their various liquids. Paying the same for 6mg juice as for 24mg juice isn't quite right, imho.

I know but I still like to keep it simple. I'm not an experimenting type. I'm sure there isn't much to it. But I have several juices that I like to choose from do I am good. Just not sure if I wanna experiment work ratios.

Tap'd from my Maxx

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I have worked on dropping my nic over a long period of time. I had no problem dropping by 2 mg of nic in my juice about every 2 months. For example, 16 mgs then 2 months later, 14 mgs nic., etc. I did have a problem going from 10 mg nic to 8 mg nic though. When I would vape at 8 mg nic, I wasn't as satisfied and felt like I was vaping air. I had to go back up to 10 mg nic for awhile. Then I finally started DIY'ing my own juice using Natures Flavors alcohol based organic flavorings and was finally able to go down to 8 mg nic and have a good throat hit due to the alcohol. Some people don't like the throat hit from an alcohol based flavoring but I love it. Everyone is different but it's what helped me. I'm not sure I am ready to go lower than 8 mg nic though and might not. I'm still thinking about it. lol.

CheriePie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
cheriepie.com
Congrats on your commitment to cut down on the nicotine. I'm in the same boat as you. Came into vaping only recently, picking it up at 12mg since the Djarum Blacks I used to smoke (only about 5/day) were 1.7mg nicotine, so I thought 12 would be a good place to start on juice. I picked up about half my juice in 12mg and the other half in 6mg. I have to say I definitely notice more of a throat hit with the 12mg over the 6. Plus the stronger nicotine is sometimes more craved by my system, whereas other times of the day when the nicotine craving isn't as strong, I try to stick with the 6mg stuff. So you might want to try that route too, having a little of both levels on hand.

Halo Tribeca has been a favorite of mine so far as well. I'm still working my way through my initial 7ml bottle (12mg nic) which I bought as part of Halo's Variety Sample Pack. However, I haven't tried any other RY4-based juices, which I'd like to. Was thinking of starting a thread asking for suggestions of juices similar to Halo's Tribeca that I should try if I can't find a similar thread already out here. It would be nice to be able to tweak the PG/VG ratio to my liking a bit which is something Halo doesn't allow you to do.

ECBlends was actually one of the juice vendors I read about with a much-liked RY4. I forgot which thread I read it in, probably the Whats your ABSOLUTE favorite flavor? thread. But that person got extra flavor (overall), plus an extra shot of caramel and an extra shot of vanilla.

I've only ordered from MBV & AiV so far. MBV Butterscotch a huge favorite so far, the others not fully steeped yet, and AiV not yet received. The other 4-7ml bottles I have came from either Halo or Smokeless Image as part of my initial kit and of those, Halo's Tribeca and Belgian Cocoa have been nice standouts from that batch. I have the SI Volt kit now but am already reading all the APV threads in planning for and purchasing my first VV battery and tank, hopefully within the next month or so. There is sooooooo much info to absorb and take in out here, and I've only been vaping not even a full 2 weeks yet! :)

Sorry if this was babbling on a bit, I'm multitasking and kept typing then going off to do something else, etc. :facepalm:

Litta'sGabby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Sandston, Virginia, United States
I am trying to step down on my nic level, too! I think I just stepped down too far. I jumped from 18 to 12 and I am finding myself getting cranky. Earlier in the week, I couldn't fall asleep until I vaped an 18 on a month-old disposable! I am doing some mixing and just basically having some 18 and some 12 every day. Maybe I shouldn't do that? I am vaping at 80/20 pg/vg ratio. So, my own advice would be to not step down too fast, and I should probably take my own advice! :D

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Nicotine does simulate more throat hit. From what I can gather, throat hit can mean a couple of things. The harshness of nic hitting the back of the throat like a cig would do. Or the warmth of the vapor hitting the throat. A theory I have, not saying this is true but I do wonder, those that vape at very high temps I think are needing a strong throat hit.

If you don't miss or need it, don't worry about it. I get a very slight hit just enough to let me know I have vapor in my mouth. But I like a cooler vape anyway. I notice nic more on my tongue than I do in my throat. It's that peppery feeling/taste.

Thank you for that very descriptive post. You certainly seem to have lots of talent with your throat, mouth, and tongue.

I meant a talent for tasting juice....errr....I....uh....

I meant a highly developed sense of taste!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread