Throat hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricMorr

Jul 2, 2018
Pitman, NJ
So I just started making my own liquids about a month ago. I have a recipe I made that was 65VG/35PG and 9ml. I'm getting a throat hit. Not that I mind it that much, but want it to be a little less. Would it be better to change my VG/PG ratio to like 70/30 or lower the nicotine? Which would affect the throat hit more?

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
So I just started making my own liquids about a month ago. I have a recipe I made that was 65VG/35PG and 9ml. I'm getting a throat hit. Not that I mind it that much, but want it to be a little less. Would it be better to change my VG/PG ratio to like 70/30 or lower the nicotine? Which would affect the throat hit more?
What style of atty are you using?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

Letitia, Smok Alien with HorizonTech Falcon (mesh coils) and an iJoy Avenger 270w with the Avenger tank (mesh coil)
9mg/ml is kinda strong for the set ups you are using.
Many folks are at 6mg/ml, 3mg/ml or less.
Are you using nic salts or freebase?
What is the total flavour percentages of your mixes? Often overflavoured equals harsh.

HTH
I

EricMorr

Jul 2, 2018
Pitman, NJ
I'm usually a 6mg/ml kinda guy, at least for the last year (with a minor slip back to cigarettes in between). But, I've been using nic salts in the 2 pods I purchased recently, and I'm really liking the extra nicotine! So I figured "Hey, I'm making my own ejuice now, I can make mine whatever nic I want" Right? So I'll try easing off the nicotine next batch and see what happens. Just wondering if the PG % would affect the throat hit more than the nicotine.
Questions answered: 1) freebase 2) I'm new at DIY e-liquid, so nothing fancy yet. Mostly single flavors. This particular one has 5 flavors if I remember correctly. The total flavoring was like 16% or around there. Can't remember exactly. The recipe is at home ;)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
What's your usual PG ratio, and were you getting harshness from that? Were you at the same nicotine level?

Reducing PG may reduce throat hit, yes. It may also as others have indicated, be a particular flavor that is making it harsh. It's also true that 9 is on the high side, but not insanely high side.

If you like the recipe otherwise, I'd say try making some small tester bottles:
1) with less PG
2) with less nicotine
3) with less flavorings.

If you do that and let them steep for a bit (lack of enough steeping can also cause harshness, BTW) you should be able to identify which factor is the culprit, more or less.

Then, you can take what you have mixed NOW and fix it. The good news on fixing a failed mix is, well I have learned more about DIY by fixing my failed mixes than by enjoying the ones I'm lucky enough to enjoy right out of the gate. I almost NEVER toss a mix before messing with it (chocolate milk was my one exception, it was SO vomitous I really did not know what to do).

But, you'll be able to change whatever ratios you need to with some planning ahead, a good recipe calculator, and some patience, as, say it's the nic level, and you need to reduce it, you will have to add VG, flavors, and nic at the precise ratio you'll need to dilute the mix by with your VG.

Anna

EricMorr

Jul 2, 2018
Pitman, NJ
Thanks for the advice! I only mixed a small batch (15ml) to see if I liked it. And I do. It's yummy. I'm all over the place with my "over the counter" e-liquids as far as PG/VG. But mostly 6mg/ml for the nicotine. I found the recipe I used/copied online:
upload_2018-8-22_14-39-13.png

I'm thinking of cutting back on the Lemonade with the next batch. More Sweet Tea. The lemonade in itself could be causing the throat hit I would imagine too.
I am mixing by weight.

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
1) with less PG
2) with less nicotine
3) with less flavorings.
Anna
rJj25Jp.png
@stols001

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread