RDA Weird flavor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a doge rda and i have a single coil build with 24 gauge kanthal on it. it has about .7 ohms

So i bought this RDA and put coils and cotton in it and i get a really weird flavor. I get some liquid flavor but more of a really weird flavor. i tried many juices on it same result

What am i doing wrong? Arent RDA's supposed to have a lot of flavor???

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
I don't have much experience of the doge, but not all drippers are equal.

However, did your clean your atomiser before you used it. If so are your coils wound properly and did you dry fire it to get rid of the machine oil. Otherwise it could be your wicking, what cotton are you using and what type of wicking method.

A picture of your build would help.

Reactions: Mr.Mann
Hey thanks for the reply :)
I am firing it at 20.5 watts on a E-Vic VT. I did dry fire it and clean it before i used it. I am using cotton balls that are spun into roll and they feed into my coil

I am using Lunar Harvest black and for my other build i have the Cotton place under my coil not through. I am using Vape First Gummy Bear juice

izen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Northeast
That commercial drugstore cotton is bleached. it will have a funky taste for a while but should mostly go away. I'd used it a number of times, way back when I rebuilt evod coils. I thought it would be better than using silica for my wicks. It does taste weird, and you shouldn't use it. I didn't know any better at the time. Was later told that those cotton balls needed to be boiled if I wanted to use them for wicks (to get the peroxide out). These days I only use organic cotton. Big difference. Big difference, and no more funky taste. :)

PS: You should be able to find Japanese organic cotton pads (or specialized cotton made for wicking) at almost any vape supplier or eBay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Izan

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
Hey thanks for the reply :)
I am firing it at 20.5 watts on a E-Vic VT. I did dry fire it and clean it before i used it. I am using cotton balls that are spun into roll and they feed into my coil

I am using Lunar Harvest black and for my other build i have the Cotton place under my coil not through. I am using Vape First Gummy Bear juice

When you say under and not through, are you implying that you don't thread your cotton through the coils?

Reactions: DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
If you are not threading your cotton through the coil (as Donnie suggests above) then that would certainly change the taste.

Another thing to consider is whispy bits of cotton, if ever I have any little threads of cotton coming out from my wick (single strands) then they will burn and produce an awful taste.

Pics of your suspect build please!

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
If you are not threading your cotton through the coil (as Donnie suggests above) then that would certainly change the taste.

Another thing to consider is whispy bits of cotton, if ever I have any little threads of cotton coming out from my wick (single strands) then they will burn and produce an awful taste.

Pics of your suspect build please!

Yes a pic of the wicked build will probably go a long way to answering the strange taste issue

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Agree with above - I found a BIG difference switching to Shiseido cotton, which is a lot like Koh Gen Do. Different people have different preference, but for me, that kind of cotton gives the purest taste, and right away.

But also - these are new atties?
I have had atomizers that had a "chemical" machine-oil kind of taste that would NOT go away with a water wash, or even an alcohol soak - it required a SOAPY bath. It's oil, so it needs soap to loosen it from the metal. And it can be in the threading, etc.

So hot water, and DAWN dish detergent, and SHAKE IT or scrub it, then rinse a LOT (so you don't vape soap!).

That'd be my guess - machine oil, or the cotton.

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
Does your wick look anything like this

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread