Weirdness re: Kilo Marshmallow Crisp at NYX ECIGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I shop at NYX ECIGS (based in GTA=Greater Toronto Area). They have discontinued kilo Marshmallow Crisp and replaced it with kilo White Crisp. Now, I am up on this because Kilo's Marshmallow Crisp is one of my top 3 favourites.
I have tried both and IMO, White Crisp is not as flavourful. I would even go so far as to say that MC tastes like a marshmallow roasted over a campfire, whereas WC tastes like vanilla ice cream with a marshmallow flavoured topping (like Fluff or Smuckers).
I went on Kilo's website (they are based in California). They had no such thing as White Crisp. So I emailed them and they told me that they have never made a flavour called White Crisp.
So I went into my local NYX ECIGS store this morning to buy supplies and I asked them what the deal is with this. They told me that it has to do with the legal requirements of e-liquid names in different countries. They also told me that it is just a name change but the flavour is the same (not to me though). But what I don't understand is that to my knowledge, Kilo only has the one company in California. I couldn't find a flagship Kilo company in Canada. So I may be making something out of nothing just because I am misunderstanding everything. But I swear the 2 flavours are not the same, and Kilo's website did say that they have never had the flavour White Crisp.
So, I don't know what to make of all this. If someone knows more info or can straighten me out, I would appreciate that. As it stands, Kilo has a moratorium on shipping right now so unless I can find another vape company that sells Kilo MARSHMALLOW CRISP, I am going to have to find another flavour good enough to be in my top 3.
FYI: My favourite flavours are: the one mentioned, Graham Slam's Graham and Koi's Castella. So if you, knowing my taste, have an awesome suggestion for me, please let me know! :)

I am in no way disparaging NYX ECIGS. Their main mail order website is not 100% but the brick and mortar stores are awesome. They have top-notch e liquids, they have discounts on everything pretty much and they make a point to remember who you are (your name, what your preferences are, etc.) I am still a loyal customer of my local NYX ECIGS store. I am just confused about this small Kilo issue and have come here for help to understand.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
You will find many brands manufactured from this location. I have never tried the branded Marshmallow Crisp, but not a fan of the White Crisp.

Dashvapes is also a major manufacture for other brands in Canada. Whats great with Dashvapes though, is each bottle has a unique a batch number that can be looked up to find out what date it was mixed, bottled and from who.

Kilo White Crisp.jpg

Ya but doesn't the Kilo company have the only rights to make an liquid under their own name? How is there an actual Kilo company in Cali, but 'Canada Vape' is making it? I don't get that? And how can 'Canada Vape' make a flavour that Kilo doesn't even make but still say it's from the Kilo company? I'm still not clear on the logistics of this.

You will find many brands manufactured from this location. I have never tried the branded Marshmallow Crisp, but not a fan of the White Crisp.

Dashvapes is also a major manufacture for other brands in Canada. Whats great with Dashvapes though, is each bottle has a unique a batch number that can be looked up to find out what date it was mixed, bottled and from who.

View attachment 800675
Hi! I sent you a reply but I don't think I did it right. I'm thinking you may not get notified.
The posts from me in this thread are to you. Thanks for noticing my question.
I just wanted to add that I see your recommendation that I check out Dash Vapes. I get that recommendation a lot on here. I know of all the awesome things that they do, but NYX ECIGS (the brick & mortar in my hood) satisfies me, they have all the stuff I use, they treat me awesome and, the biggest part (which is why small towns all over North America are dying) is it's important for me to support my local businesses. I love my hood! Dash Vapes does awesome stuff, but nothing I MUST HAVE, and they are downtown with hundreds of customers a day, they wouldn't do me a solid or give a crap who I am.
So Dash Vapes can shine on without me lol! I like that the stores in my little hood know me and I know them :)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I am not entirely sure. Perhaps Kilo in the US is not giving you the full details. It’s also possible your juice was manufactured in Canada but labeled incorrectly. I do know that brands from out side Canada establish distribution contracts with Canadian bottlers. I own a few American ejuice’s that were manufactured in Canada, Charilie’s Chalk Dust, Coastal Clouds, Naked 100, just to name a few.

I only brought up Dashvapes in this thread as an example of a Canadian bottler who manufactures e-juice for other brands. In another thread you were looking for a particular brand of coils that according to their web site NYX does not carry. Dashvapes does! The choice is yours whether you would prefer to order from China, wait months for delivery plus any associated risks of duty charges and or customs confiscating your delivery. OR…your can purchase from a local retailer and have instant gratification, and possibly for less cost than if ordered from China.

I am by no means trying to steer you away from NYX, and applaud you for supporting your local economy - especially when the popular trend is to shop from afar. This is a trait that I support greatly! But keep in mind NYX, no matter how friendly they are, may not be able to cater to your every needs and that there are other LOCAL choices. Had you have been looking for a product that Dashvapes did not carry, I would have suggested a different local retailer, or perhaps one elsewhere within Canada, long before suggesting buying from China (not that I think there is anything wrong with buying from China).

Supporting local businesses does not mean you have to stick with one preferred retailer. There are dozens of vape retail outlets within the GTA which could reek great benefits to you should you establish a relationship with them. But you must make that first step in establishing a relationship! Or, you can stick with the one that is within our hood, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! And again, kudo’s to you for doing so! :thumb:

Sorry, when I read your answer just now, I realized that I may have sounded sanctimonious when going on about supporting local businesses. I didn't mean to, I was just trying to let you in on my thoughts about supporting small businesses. My apologies. :(
Also, from reading your answer, I just want to clarify 'local' because you have a different definition than I was carrying on about. Toronto is made up of many small neighbourhoods (small town small). So 'local' means basically within walking distance. My neighbourhood has a name, for instance, when you go to vote. So each neighbourhood is represented by a provincial politician who keeps an office in their small neck of the woods. So when I shop, I stick to that small of a neighbourhood. For example my local pharmacy, my grocery, my post office/tobacco shop, my vape shop, my butcher shop etc. all know me. And if I ever need to ask them for a solid they would be more likely to (and I have asked my locals for favours before) I just really, super duper needed to clarify that LOL! Because I COULD call all of Toronto 'local'.
Anyway, Dash Vapes- don't get me wrong, if I really need something that my shop doesn't have, I would visit Dash Vapes. Yes, I would. But I wouldn't give them all my business, even though they are way bigger and have 400 e liquid flavours, because I like to support the little guys and DV is a huge business.
I just got a tinge of an attitude when you suggested dash vapes because it seems like every thread I make on here, Someone's answer is "Dash Vapes". I have gotten that solution on here before. So that's why I got all ....ty about Dash Vapes, because I got that solution yet again with our convo. I understand though why everyone gives them as a solution to everything.
All in all, I didn't mean to ..... at you or anything. Everyone on here is so nice, including you. I should have been more careful of my tone. My bad.
Really, I shouldn't have gone into all of that as all I want to know is if there is some kind of e liquid bootlegging going on, as per my original question.
Oh and: you mentioning shipments being confiscated and all that, I buy all my e liquids from NYX ECIGS. That pic I put up: I bought that at the store yesterday. If somebody knows the skinny on my original question, I would really want to know. And my other Q: Since my store will no longer be carrying Kilo Marshmallow Crisp, if you like the same flavours that I mentioned above, please share an awesome one that I can switch to.
Anyway, thanks for your ideas as to what you think is going on. I appreciate you answering :) You made me look at my other bottles and I DO have some that say Canada Vape on them. It seems that some come from there and some come directly from the e liquid company who's name is on the bottle. So now I want to know what the hell is Canada Vapes and what is there roll, and why are ALL my liquids not from the companies that make them (the company you would find when typing in the name of the liquid on the net???). I want to know if I am getting 'copies' or originals! I am not giving up until someone in the know can explain the whole e liquid business to me! LOL!

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    RebeccaD, Punk In Drublic and I are both local. With your question, wouldn't NYX be the best place for all those details. I also have both NYX and Dash local to me. Both are co-packers.
    Canada and the US have different naming, labeling and bottling standards. I'd imagine the front of that bottle might be the US version, and NYX might be right in the simplified answer they gave you.
    Co-packer - sent large volumes of base product, possibly without PG, VG, nic. Those added up here, poured into a bottle, compliant label attached, and then sold retail.
    Hope this helps.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    @RebeccaD - Yes, I understood your meaning of local. I too have a local neighbourhood to which I support. But as great as my neighbourhood is, it does not have everything that I need therefor I branch out to other surrounding areas or even across Canada, and if needed outside of Canada.

There was no attitude with bringing up Dashvapes. It is a great vape shop but it is not the only shop in the city. I brought it up in another thread because they had the GT Core coils you were looking for and at a cost that is very competitive in comparison to other Toronto retailers. Had you been looking for something else, I most likely would have recommended another Toronto or even a Canadian retailer. And my comment on customs and or buying from China was made because someone else brought up purchasing GT Core coils from China. And buying from China was recommended because that individual is unaware of what is available locally to you.

In this thread Dashvapes was brought up because they are also an e-juice manufacture. Example: Coastal Clouds is a US e-juice brand. But here in Canada their juice is made and distributed by Dashvapes. So it was brought up as a example with your situation with Kilo. It was not brought up to suggest you start purchasing your e-juice from Dashvapes. Although I will say their made to order process may have value to you. Instead of purchasing juice that might have been sitting on the shelf for months, maybe even longer, each bottle from Dashvape is made to order….even at their retail outlets. So you are always getting a fresh bottle of juice. But that is a value I will let you assess.

As for Canada Vapes. It is cheaper for a company such as Kilo, or Naked 100 (plus many more) as an example, to have their juice made locally and in large quantities than it is to have them shipped in from the US. This is where companies such as Canada Vape or Dashvapes along with others (think Cold Turkey and Premium Labs also do the same….I’m sure there are more) come into play. Example: Kilo is $24.99 for 60ml vs the average price of Dinner Lady (which is imported) being $34.99. And when manufacturing locally, one can keep up to market trends in a more efficient manor. Should Naked 100 become a popular brand, Canada Vape can react more quickly and capitalize on this boost of popularity. Or they can scale back production should the brand fall out of trend. Canada is an extremely large country with a sparse population. Distribution is a challenge for any product.

I am not 100% sure on how this works with retailers/distributors, but there are government restrictions on importing nicotine based products. Having your nicotine product manufactured within Canada may just get around these restrictions.

Apology for the long post, but hopefully it helps or at least sheds some light on companies such as Canada Vape.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Is NYX a co-packer? Thought they were just a retailer.
    I don't shop there any longer, but they were the first place I ever bought from as a beginner (Velvet cloud Snozzle something, yummy). And that's what I was told by their employee at that time. 3 1/2 years ago when I started, apart from their house juices, they ONLY carried American juices. Now remember (Canadian company, Canadian employees) and when I asked why only American, I was told 'the best juices are American, we only carry the best'. I do remember they had a warehouse in Markham, and looks like Canadian Vape Lab was made in Markham (label on bottle). I could look further, but have no interest.
    Snarky comment deleted in my own self interest.:sneaky:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread