what about coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017
hey all good to be here.
i just got started on the obs engine its my first rta been using a cleito drop in coil till now..anyway i understand there are different coils with different chracteristics... is there like a science for that like lower resistance the higher i could push my coil etc...?? or anything else to know? also how can i know what my coil is made of for instance.. super juggernut...or i got a pack of demon killer with all kinds of coils but it doesnt say what its made of... (for tc purposes).. i would really appreciate some info if anyone can offer.
grateful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, your wattage will still be determined by your coil's resistance (for the most part, depending on how complicated the builds are that you have). The mod will "read" the RTA coil the same way it would if you were just using a drop in coil, so you know what your "ohms" are when you start vaping, so you know approximately what it's likely you'll get a good vape at. However.... RTAs just vape... slightly differently. So I'd say start low and work your way up in wattage strength and you'll find something you like. Too hot will burn the wicking material more quickly.

As far as the wire you have, if you have any materials listed on the container or the shipping slip, that will tell you what type of wire you have. Most people buying "exotic" coils tend to vape in straight power mode and seeking large clouds (although they will offer different flavor properties too, so I guess it's not everyone) but if you don't know I would assume they are all kanthal based wires.

It's going to be really hard to tell the resistance before installing a coil if you have a bunch of different kinds of builds all mixed together. If you got a "range" of resistances, well you could try asking the manufacturer or seller if they have any way of letting you know which builds approximate what resistances. Probably a very experienced coilbuilider might have some kind of idea, but I am certainly not sure, and you probably won't be. Once you install ONE, and check the resistance, I'd probably try to find the duplicates of "that one" and separate them out in a bag in order to start narrowing down your choices. But maybe the manufacturer might be helpful, you never know.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, RTAs are just different. You may be overwicking your coils, causing them to not be able to keep up. Or, the builds you have are just different. IDK. But I wouldn't expect something to be the exact same with a drop-in vs. a RTA coil and 110 watts is really really high.

Are you satisfied with the vape you are getting? If not, talk about your build or even post a pic and I'm sure some of the coilbuilding experts would be happy to come along and help you. Are you looking for more heat? Clouds? Are you choking on the vape because it is a lot of vape at 60 watts? If so then unless the vape is too cool for you I am not sure that lowering your wattage is a problem.

RTAs just vape completely differently. You can't really compare them to a drop-in coil tank.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
The more wire or multiple wires the more power it takes to fire that build, same with the thicker the wire again the more power, longer ramp up time and longer to cool off. The toll is on the batteries to how long they last before recharge time. IMO its almost senseless to fire low ohm multiwire builds with a mod that has internal batteries or a single battery mod. I found my single battery mods begin to suffer above 40 watts and even worse if the batt is older.
Learn how to build a single core(24-30 gauge) and 34 or 36 or 38 clapton, lots of vids on showing how and you'll get a much more fulfilling vape than single wire. I been there and done that with subohm but ended up reverting back to higher ohm building, 1.4Ω 30/34 clapton produces a great cloudz vape and also much easier on the batts. Once getting the concept of building claptons then go into other multiwire building if thats your choice.
I also began to vape to quit smoking with beginning to rebuild very soon on my journey along with having no need to make cloudz builds but did because I could but yet went back to higher ohm vaping.
I ain't no wire guru( just use kanthal and SS) by any means but if your going to get into multi wire building then using the lower resistance like SS or other types as wrapping wire with either kanthal or SS core(s) for the faster ramp up time and faster cooling to lessin the gunking of the coil from cooking unvaped juice after the vape onto the coil. A second or two unpowered after the vape cools the coil faster lessening the gunking some but some commercial juices are just sweeteners and gunk no matter what you do.
One can go on forever with tips from experiences but reading forums is how we all learnt to get the best vape out of the gear we have and to improve. I'm still learning after almost 5 years with some eyebrow raising tidbit that I didn't think of that just made my vape that much better....example of what I learned within the last year or so is thinning tails by brushing through with something pointy removing excess bulk that I use too just cut with scissors for the years before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread