Status
Not open for further replies.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
This isn't my first effort at DIY liquid, but the first time I really botched it up, I only got 48mg nic and trying to get 50/50 juice with all the flavors I added, it was around 24mg juice, not enough for my needs.
I'm using HHV's NET juices at 36mg to get that out of the way, at a 60/40 mix, that I'm pretty happy with.
This time I want to stay basic for now, see if this nic even works for me, so I'm limiting the flavors and cost for now. Get something vapable then expand on that if you will.
I'm planning to order some "throat hit" nic from Vapers Tek at 100mg, vg base. Just 120ml for testing.
Then 120ml of pg and a few of the Inawara flavors at 50/50.
Now, by my math that leaves me with up to 10% for flavors, I still get a 60/40-50/50 mix at 36mg. Most people say you only need 2-5% for the Inawara line, so if it comes out 40mg, I'm alright with that!
So what am I missing? I just know with my luck I've overlooked something stupidly obvious!

Reactions: IDJoel

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Only thing I can see is a bottle of plain VG as well. Otherwise you won't get to 60/40 or 50/50 at 36mg strength. Only VG I am seeing is the nic, which is not quite enough to hit your stated ratios. And mainly because VG is cheap compared to nic. I wouldn't want to go to 40mg nic just for the sake of pg/VG ratio.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Is the Nicotine in PG or VG? What are the bases of the flavors?

Here is a SAMPLE using the ecigvape calculator

48mg Nicotine E-Liquid 7.5 ml 150 drops 75 %
50%PG / 50%VG Set to 20 drops per ml

Supplies 36mg Nicotine per ml to Recipe
PG 0.25 ml 5 drops 2.5 % Set to 20 drops per ml
VG 1.25 ml 25 drops 12.5 % Set to 20 drops per ml
Flavors 1 ml 20 drops 10 %

Reactions: Kenna

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
You need to adjust the percentages of VG and PG in your flavors and Nicotine base for the calculator to supply the correct percentages in ML's or grams depending on how you do your DIY. Remember what I posted is just an example using 50/50 on the bases so it is NOT Accurate at all! ! ! !

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Wow! OK. Lot's of info in that post. Let me see if my old lump of oatmeal I call a brain has it straight.
I only got 48mg nic and trying to get 50/50 juice with all the flavors I added, it was around 24mg juice, not enough for my needs.
In this I am reading that you have 48mg. nic concentrate. And that you used only flavors to arrive at a 50/50 ratio. Since most flavors are PG based, and the reduction of the nicotine strength is by half; your nic base is 100% VG and you added 50% flavoring to reach your PG/VG goal. Am I correct so far?

If I am correct; I can understand why this was not a success for you. Besides not having enough nicotine you most likely used way too much flavoring. Even those people considered "high flavor" mixers generally don't mix much more than 30-35% total. This will vary from flavor to flavor, even within the same flavor manufacturer, as well as person to person. So the best thing I can suggest is:
- Don't use flavors as a diluting agent. Concentrated flavorings do dilute the overall recipe, and we do have to account for their presence if we want to reach a particular range; but the primary influence that tells us how much to use is how they taste to us. So this means it is best to have both unflavored PG and unflavored VG available to reach your desired target.
- Do use a calculator/app to know how much PG and/or VG you will need to reach your target.
- Do taste your flavors as a single flavor mix first to see what strength (percentage) tastes best to you.
I'm using HHV's NET juices at 36mg to get that out of the way, at a 60/40 mix, that I'm pretty happy with.
You are offering this information to explain your preferences? You currently like a ready-to vape liquid that is 60PG/40VG and 36mg/mL nic strength? Am I correct here?

If so; your recipe target is 60P/40V/36mg/mL. (at least for the time being).
This time I want to stay basic for now, see if this nic even works for me, so I'm limiting the flavors and cost for now. Get something vapable then expand on that if you will.
You explain that you wish to start with minimum materials and build your inventory as your skills progress?

Sounds like a smart plan. I would recommend that you find two or three recipes that sound like they are in your wheelhouse, and preferably have good feedback (though it doesn't guarantee that it is right for your palette), and then use those to guide you in your initial ingredient choices. This is helpful because it gives you a better chance of having a complete flavor profile. In other words, it helps to make sure that you not only have the primary flavors of the end product you want, but also the secondary, or supporting flavors too.
The exception to this is if you are choosing flavors that are "single flavor" or "stand alone" flavors. I noted that you said you are vaping NETs right now. I know that many vapors like certain Hangsen, Super Concentrates, and Inawera tobacco flavors as stand-alones. If you haven't found it yet there is a very active, and extensive DIY tobacco thread here: Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only
There are lots of knowledgeable folks over there that could help you select some good single flavor choices based on what you like. This would help you with your effort to start small.
I'm planning to order some "throat hit" nic from Vapers Tek at 100mg, vg base. Just 120ml for testing.
Again; smart. Always purchase small testers first until you know it is going to work for you. Just because it works for 90% of everyone else; doesn't mean it is going to be a hit for you.
Now, by my math that leaves me with up to 10% for flavors, I still get a 60/40-50/50 mix at 36mg.
This part lost me. Is this using the 48mg nic you already have? Or the 100 mg. you intend to buy?
If your answer is the 48mg/mL nic concentrate; the answer is:
No. to get a 36mg/mL nic strength you have a "Max PG" (the maximum amount of PG to be added to the mix and still have a nic strength of 36mg/mL) of 25% possible. So that means you could use up to 25% flavoring. Doesn't mean you should, or even want to, but you could. This is where the plain PG comes in to play. But even with max PG you will not reach your target of 50P/50V let alone 60P/40V AND reach your nic target too. (If you wanted to keep buying your nic concentrate at 48mg/mL strength you would want it in more PG dominant base. Again, not saying to do this, just saying what you would need to do.)
if your answer is the 100mg/mL concentrate; the answer is:
Yes and No. You actually have more room for flavor. Max PG for retaining 36mg/mL strength is 64% so you could mix up to a 64P/36V Ratio and still reach your 36mg/mL. nic..
Most people say you only need 2-5% for the Inawara line, so if it comes out 40mg, I'm alright with that!
40mg/mL.? Wow! I'd start to worry about cumulative nicotine toxicity; depending on how much you vape throughout the day... just sayin'.
"Most people say..." is, at best, a very VERY broad generalization. At worst it is going to give you very hit and miss mixing experiences and can even discourage further mixing. It is BEST to find out and KNOW what percentage a particular flavor works best FOR YOU. This requires some time and effort on your part and there is not really any way around it.
You can start at an average recommended percentage, but I would strongly recommend spending some time exploring a range above AND below that until you know what works best for your mouth. I know of at least one community member that starts at half the "recommended" amount and then works their way up as needed.
More directly to your question:2 to 5% does seem to be a more "common" range for Inewara flavors in general though I have seen certain flavors with comments that they were too strong at 0.5% and others that were liked as high as 12%. It all depends on the particular flavor and your taste buds.
And, if that isn't bad enough, you can also look forward to your taste buds changing! What works for you this year, may very well, not be ideal next year. I have found that over my 3+years of vaping, my preferred flavor percentages have gone down. My preference today requires less flavoring than it used to.
So what am I missing? I just know with my luck I've overlooked something stupidly obvious!
So, I guess, to boil down all my ramblings:
-Buy your 100mg/mL. nic.
-Buy both unflavored PG and unflavored VG.
-Find a couple of recipes that float your boat OR
-Identify a couple flavors that would be good as stand-alones.
-Buy those flavors.
-Choose a calculator/app, learn how to use it, and use it.
Then...
Invest a little time learning about the basic components that make up your e-liquid by:
-tasting the VG by itself on a clean wick & coil
-tasting the PG by itself on a clean wick & coil
If these pass your approval continue by:
-mixing an unflavored base of 60P/40V/36mg/mL.
-taste the unflavored base on a clean wick & coil to check the flavor of the nic (NEVER vape straight nic concentrate!)
This will help you in a couple of ways. It will let you know what your nic tastes like. It will let you know what the unflavored base tastes like and give you a reference for troubleshooting future recipes (you have ruled out any problems existing in the base before you add flavors). You may find you "like" unflavored (there are quite a few folks that vape unflavored either exclusively, or as part of their regular rotation).
-This is also a great time to get yourself in the habit of taking notes!!!
Note taking is a HUGE help in DIY. Learning how to write down what you perceive when you taste a flavor or recipe. The better you can describe it to yourself the more help it will be. It helps with being able to repeat a taste. It helps avoid making the same mistakes again. It helps creating new creations. And it creates a record of how your palette changes. There are many a DIYer that can tell you a horror story, or two, of developing the "holy grail" of juice only to have not written down anything and then never be able to repeat it again. Can you tell I am a member of that club? :facepalm:

once you have tested, and understand your base; start introducing a single flavor and experiment with the percentage.
Some folks do this by mixing up several small test batches at once with each one at a different percentage. Others will do one at a time. I use a method that counts drops and keeps adding (increasing the percentage/subtracting (dripping & tasting) to get a much more accurate "ballpark" idea than the "most people say..." method because it is based on what my taste buds are telling me.

You have begun your DIY journey!

Cr&p! So much for keeping it short... :shock: I hope at least some of this is useful to you. Good luck on your journey! :toast:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
This isn't my first effort at DIY liquid, but the first time I really botched it up, I only got 48mg nic and trying to get 50/50 juice with all the flavors I added, it was around 24mg juice, not enough for my needs.
Now, by my math that leaves me with up to 10% for flavors, I still get a 60/40-50/50 mix at 36mg. Most people say you only need 2-5% for the Inawara line, so if it comes out 40mg, I'm alright with that!

I vaped at 24mg nic levels for several years before trying to reduce the nic. Over a few months I bought juice at lower levels each time I ordered. I went from 24mg to 18mg to 12mg to 6mg and on down to 3mg. Zero mg just didn't have that little nic bite I was used to so I went back up to 3mg. I've been there for a year or more and found out that I didn't miss the high nic.

I'm just relating that story for reference. You might find (like I did) that it's more about nic or no nic instead of how much nic. I can detect the nic at 3mg just about as much as I did at 24mg. At no time have I ever thought about going back to smoking after lowering my nic.

The E Juice Me Up calculator at eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator is one that lets you enter the pg/vg in your flavors and nic base to balance out the final mix. I buy 75pg/25vg nic and mix at 70/30. My mixes come out feeling like vendor juice did as far as nic level is concerned.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Oh my, where to even start!
I'm am NOT going to use the 48mg nic, it's old and oxidized!
My first attempt was an all out effort to clone Mad Murfocks 710, which I did achieve, with many failed tries, lots of notes and LOTS of flavorings, that's why I needed so much flavor concentrate.
Right now it's all about finding a cheaper alternative to the NET juice, why I'm going with the throat hit nic. I can go through 20ml on a bad day, so 40mg isn't going to be an issue!
I have to go right now, I'll post more info later.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Anyway, the $45 100ml of NET's is killing my budget, much less having the cash in hand when I need to order it etc.
IF this throat hit is what it's cracked up to be, and I feel it will work, then I may revisit the 710 clone, but if it isn't, I'm not in that deep right now.
I'm just looking at some basic flavors, that have good reviews to simply sample the nicotine right now,nothing complex, just a nic test.
Clear as mudd?
So if I switch the nic to pg base, then order a bottle of vg, I should get my 60-40 easier! This is my problem, my brain gets jumbled and I screw up the simple things! Sound better @sketchness?
@DaveP thanks for the insight, but I'm still a dual user, chronic pain, I don't see my nic level ever dropping and many times I want more! The NET juices have helped and I love to try WTA's but both are so expensive it's not something I could maintain if they did work, so the little jump between 36-40mg isn't going to be a factor for me.
The Inwara flavors are all 50/50 as I stated in my op.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
@sawlight small bottle of PG and Vg plus nic and flavors. You can buy the humco vg from walmart very cheaply. to see how you like it without a large monetary commitment. I think it is $3 or $4 for a small bottle (like around 120ml or 240ml). You need the little extra to top of to your desired percentage. PG is slightly more expensive on it's own than VG so getting the nic in PG which is usually the same price isn't a bad idea.

Your idea while solid still leaves you short now on the PG side to get to your desired ratio and nic level. My suggestion would be to buy a small bottle of PG and VG or say screw it and go with your original plan of making 40mg juice.

clear as mud?

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
@sawlight small bottle of PG and Vg plus nic and flavors. You can buy the humco vg from walmart very cheaply. to see how you like it without a large monetary commitment. I think it is $3 or $4 for a small bottle (like around 120ml or 240ml). You need the little extra to top of to your desired percentage. PG is slightly more expensive on it's own than VG so getting the nic in PG which is usually the same price isn't a bad idea.

Your idea while solid still leaves you short now on the PG side to get to your desired ratio and nic level. My suggestion would be to buy a small bottle of PG and VG or say screw it and go with your original plan of making 40mg juice.

clear as mud?
Thank you kindly! I'll get a bottle of both with my order!
Damn pain meds get me all screwed up! I can diagnose hydraulic problems over the phone, I can rebuild about any engine in my sleep, even did a couple weeks ago! But simple things throw me off, 2-4hrs of sleep for six years and being heavily medicated have taken their tolls on me. This is why I'm asking before ordering.
Thanks all!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I got my order in today, I'm indifferent. Granted this is NO steep time. I just went with pg nic and a bottle of vg, again, this is more a test of if the nic can replace my NET juice than anything.
I can see I'm glad I didn't get the black cherry! The dark chocolate is alright, but it's a pipe flavor for sure! It finishes with the pipe smoke, not the rich chocolate taste I'd hoped for.
The AM4A, its odd! It's like a really rich vanilla pipe tobacco that finishes with a hint of mint or menthol, can't quite pin it down for sure? It's a nice vape, just a little different than I was expecting.
I haven't tried the 555 yet, going to let it sit overnight first as I've heard it's very strong fresh.
These were all mixed 40/60 with 4 drops of flavor in 10ml.
Today isn't a fair test for the nic, there's bad weather moving in and my body isn't happy right now, so nothing is really going to satisfy me! But hopefully I'll mellow out tomorrow afternoon and have a better idea.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I got my order in today, I'm indifferent. Granted this is NO steep time. I just went with pg nic and a bottle of vg, again, this is more a test of if the nic can replace my NET juice than anything.
I can see I'm glad I didn't get the black cherry! The dark chocolate is alright, but it's a pipe flavor for sure! It finishes with the pipe smoke, not the rich chocolate taste I'd hoped for.
The AM4A, its odd! It's like a really rich vanilla pipe tobacco that finishes with a hint of mint or menthol, can't quite pin it down for sure? It's a nice vape, just a little different than I was expecting.
I haven't tried the 555 yet, going to let it sit overnight first as I've heard it's very strong fresh.
Today isn't a fair test for the nic, there's bad weather moving in and my body isn't happy right now, so nothing is really going to satisfy me! But hopefully I'll mellow out tomorrow afternoon and have a better idea.
Tomorrow came and went. How did the test go?

:)

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Tomorrow came and went. How did the test go?

:)
Meh, still up in the air. The Inawara flavors came out tasting watered down and I didn't mix at my normal 60/40. I just mixed a 100ml of 60/40 base last night so I can do some other flavors and try it nekid, so hopefully illl have a better idea soon!

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014

Most PG based flavorings are actually 40-50 drops/ml or 1 drop per ml yields 2-2.5%, so that was about 1%. Standalone may need more, in combinations ridiculously low levels can be just the thing.

Yeah, the Am4A is odd, whisky or brandyish. If that's the TDM 555 Gold it's good but more 2-4% standalone (or try .5% w/2% Cap Custard V1).

If you like NETs, artificial tobacco flavors can be good but always different. Check out also Tobacco Absolutes. They're cheap, more concentrated than NET. I have the Inawera Garuda, grassy, a bit citrus, odd but I keep coming back to it in a subtle blend. MVJ just went out of business so I don't know a money-saving source of NET extracts. There are a few Goodejuice NET ejuices though that are so strong you can use them as flavoring, e.g. Fire Cured. Obviously all these will be different than the HHV.

Last edited:

Rickb119

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 20, 2013
    Greeley, CO, USA
    Right now it's all about finding a cheaper alternative to the NET juice

A cheaper alternative to "buying" NET juice is to make your own. It is a "little" time consuming, and does require a small investment in equipment but OH MY, is it ever worth it.

Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol

Best tobacco for flavor extraction

After making and mixing they do require several weeks of steeping to fully develop. At first mix, they are meh to ok. After a few to several weeks in the cupboard, they are outstanding!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    A cheaper alternative to "buying" NET juice is to make your own. It is a "little" time consuming, and does require a small investment in equipment but OH MY, is it ever worth it.

Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol

Best tobacco for flavor extraction

After making and mixing they do require several weeks of steeping to fully develop. At first mix, they are meh to ok. After a few to several weeks in the cupboard, they are outstanding!
    Dang it Rick! I conquered my gear compulsion, overcame my coil building fixation, gave up on my wicking material comparisons, and became quietly, happily content with my DIY... and now you bring this to my attention. THANKS!! :pervy:

Seriously; Thanks for sharing. One of my on-going searches/goals has been to create a vape that is reminiscent to the pipe tobacco that my Grandfather and Uncles smoked 50 years ago. The memory of the smell of the unlit tobacco, as well as its smell while burning, are some of the strongest I still have from being a 5 year-old. When I got older, I tried smoking a pipe, but the taste did NOT compliment the sense of smell I craved.

Perhaps extraction may be a means to the end I seek (the artificial tobacco flavors just have too many flavors, manufacturers, and potential combinations... I'm overwhelmed.). Looks like I have some reading to do. I love how, after three years of vaping exclusively, I am still learning new things EVERY day!

Reactions: Rickb119

Rickb119

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 20, 2013
    Greeley, CO, USA
    Dang it Rick! I conquered my gear compulsion, overcame my coil building fixation, gave up on my wicking material comparisons, and became quietly, happily content with my DIY... and now you bring this to my attention. THANKS!! :pervy:

Seriously; Thanks for sharing. One of my on-going searches/goals has been to create a vape that is reminiscent to the pipe tobacco that my Grandfather and Uncles smoked 50 years ago. The memory of the smell of the unlit tobacco, as well as its smell while burning, are some of the strongest I still have from being a 5 year-old. When I got older, I tried smoking a pipe, but the taste did NOT compliment the sense of smell I craved.

Perhaps extraction may be a means to the end I seek (the artificial tobacco flavors just have too many flavors, manufacturers, and potential combinations... I'm overwhelmed.). Looks like I have some reading to do. I love how, after three years of vaping exclusively, I am still learning new things EVERY day!

You're welcome.

After vaping NET's for a few months, I have absolutely no desire to to go back to the artificial flavors. (Although I do add a little caramel and/or vanilla to a couple and am thinking that Apricot might go nice with one of them.)

The only downside is that they do gunk the coil very quickly. However, to me, it's a very small price to pay for the amazing flavor they provide.

Keep in mind that they do require a long steep time. I'm vaping a Full Virginia Flake that at first mix was way too dry and grassy for me. Now, after a couple of months, it's turned into a very sweet vape with just a hint of grass.

Have fun with your new "obsession". ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread