Status
Not open for further replies.

rotku

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2012
columbus, oh
Hello to all,
I am pretty new to the vaping community. I started like many others. Step one, Google e-cigarette. Step two, buy something that looks like a cigarette. Step three, join ECF. Step four, regret steps one and two. I did improve my set up with two 1100mah eGo-t and a handful of LR stardust clearomizers. I have several juices from various vendors. I really enjoy my current set up but now I see all these posts about "twists", "spinners", and "vv mods". When my current equipment needs replaced (could be quite a while), I plan to upgrade to some kind of variable voltage. The question is... What am I missing? Is the difference significant enough to upgrade now? Is there a point I will always be chasing the next best thing? Am I OK being content with what I have? Comments welcome. As always, I appreciate and value the helpful advice of the peeps.

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
EVERYONE says you'll regret buying the smaller e-cigs. I disagree,,,,,,,,yeah, I upgraded,,,,,,but the smaller cig sized got me off smoking,,,,,,,at the time, they were comfortable,,,,,,convenient,,,,,felt like an old friend. It's been 3 months, and I upgraded in size just to have a longer battery life (I got sick of charging constantly),,,,,,,

will I upgrade again? IDK,,,,,,,,,maybe,,,,,probably at some point. But there's something to be said for being comfortable at the time,,,,in taking things slow,,,,in learning a bit at a time,,,,,

unless you get some kind of device with a replaceable battery, the kgos and the egos and X2s will all die eventually anyway,,,,,,its not like $$ are wasted,,,,so when my X2 dies,,,,,,,yeah, maybe I'll try a twist,,,,,,until then,,,,,I'll just enjoy what I have. I'll learn about cartos and clearos and bottom feed and,,,,,,,,well you get the idea.

julbil98

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
If what you have is working for "you" that is what is most important. VV can be great, but there can also be a bit more fiddling, IMO. Bigger, prettier, more, more, more is just more money! Ego twist is a good way to see if you want to get an APV with more variability. It is relatively cheap and you can still use your current set up.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Being located in Columbus, Ohio, you have the rare opportunity to visit a real brick and mortar vape store in AltSmoke. They carry complete lines of vaping gear, from starter cigalikes, eGo's and Twists, to their own mods like the Silver Bullet, Omega, BB, and Alpha. They carry everything to use on them like cartos, clearos, ce3's, tanks and vivi's, etc. Juice bar to try out flavors before you buy. Demitri and owner Rob love to talk vape, you can literally spend hours there. Check them out, no pressure, only fun.

http://altsmoke.com/

2460 North High Street
Columbus, OH 44663
(614) 732-5694

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    If it works for you, why change?

I don't have anything anymore that I can't take the battery out of, and put a fresh one in. (except for a couple of SD Keyrings)
    So the fact that you can't remove the battery from your eGo's to charge them is the only real fault for me. It's not all that hard to find delivery systems that work well on them.

I look at VV as being a convenience, not a necessity, but it's a nice convenience to have.

Last edited:

martinc

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2011
    Montreal,Quebec,Canada
    Keep in mind that we are overdue for a major game changer,so dont put big budget on what is already 6 months old!

Right now the Chinese are comfy with copying everything under the sun,but the serious companies will eventually step it up and gratify us with something awesome (hopefully)

fourthrok

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 12, 2012
    Watertown, NY
    I figure if you content...then why worry? I have a LavaTube, Twist and kGo VV...all variable voltage. Nice equipment, but I barely touch them. For ME, I have found I like to vape at around 6 watts (there is a calculator to help you figure that out) http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp#power , and I have found that that what pleases me the most is to have a reliable consistent vape and a PV device and delivery system that requires a minimum of fiddling and fuss and lasts a good long time. I still look at the new toys, but not as much nowadays, because I have some really nice equipment. Not fancy. Not the "top of the line" or the shiniest, or most expensive, or laden with features and volt/battery-life/ohm/watt indicators. My Volt X2s and my regular eGos and my eGo T Mod (now my preferred PV) and my little Gripper are all I need. All of them are considered "economy models". None have a lot of bells and whistles or pretty lights or LED screens. But they WORK. And with the eGo T Mod...everything is replaceable on the cheap. If the power head goes out? Replace it for about $10 or less. If the body/tube gets banged up or I get sick of the color?...get another one! The batteries are replaceable and are 2200 mAh so they last and last. Charging is a once a day thing now...not a constant issue. My 3.7 Gripper is similar with a replaceable battery and it's low profile for stealth vaping in public. I keep 3 ohm, 2.3 ohm, 2 ohm and 1.7ohm cartomizers around (1.7ml to 3ml. in capacity). That's enough for me to change up my vape if I feel the need. I mostly use the 2ohms, with the 1.7ohm a close second. It's inexpensive and neat and clean and no fuss. YMMV.

I'm never going to impress anyone in this forum with my collection of PVs. They won't inspire any shock and awe or envy. They are basic, and I think they look good ...but they certainly aren't going to dazzle or impress anyone. Bottom line is they WORK for me. That's what matters. What works for YOU is the right thing to use! The eGo is a solid unit and reliable. Enjoy!

jimrug1

ECF Veteran
    Jun 27, 2012
    Peoria, IL
    Hello to all,
    I am pretty new to the vaping community. I started like many others. Step one, Google e-cigarette. Step two, buy something that looks like a cigarette. Step three, join ECF. Step four, regret steps one and two. I did improve my set up with two 1100mah eGo-t and a handful of LR stardust clearomizers. I have several juices from various vendors. I really enjoy my current set up but now I see all these posts about "twists", "spinners", and "vv mods". When my current equipment needs replaced (could be quite a while), I plan to upgrade to some kind of variable voltage. The question is... What am I missing? Is the difference significant enough to upgrade now? Is there a point I will always be chasing the next best thing? Am I OK being content with what I have? Comments welcome. As always, I appreciate and value the helpful advice of the peeps.

Hi Rotku, First, congrats for making the switch. I am quite sure many of us started out just like you. As Baditude pointed out, if altsmoke is close to you, they are a good vender. My first upgrade was the ego twist batts and I love having the VV option but honestly, most of the time I stick with one setting (3.7v) for my LR stardusts. That is probably close to what your 1100 puts out anyway.
    IMHO why spend the money when you are satisfied at the moment. Keep it simple. Use what you have until YOU are not satisfied with it. Don't get caught up in all the hype. To me, the e-cig market is kind of like electronics. The cutting edge equipment today is old technology in 6 months. The good news is, the equipment is constantly being improved. What you buy in 2 months will most likely be a better version than what you would buy today. That being said, you may not want to listen to me. I am still satisfied with my flip phone... ;-)~

Last edited:

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2012
    mn
    If what you have is working for "you" that is what is most important. VV can be great, but there can also be a bit more fiddling, IMO. Bigger, prettier, more, more, more is just more money! Ego twist is a good way to see if you want to get an APV with more variability. It is relatively cheap and you can still use your current set up.

Off topic.

The blue eyes make me think you have a flamepoint in your avatar. Yes?

rotku

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 4, 2012
    columbus, oh
    Wow, so many excellent takes on my situation. I really appreciate the feedback. I think since I am happy with my current set up, I can take the time to really explore my future options. I have several friends who are eager to go "smokeless" and would be glad to hand over my entry level equipment to get them started. I did not realize I had a brick and mortar store just 1 block from my house (Clintonville/ North Campus). I will definately start the next phase of my journey there.

Dbailey

ECF Veteran
    Sep 27, 2012
    Hemet, California, United States
    Keep in mind that we are overdue for a major game changer,so dont put big budget on what is already 6 months old!

Right now the Chinese are comfy with copying everything under the sun,but the serious companies will eventually step it up and gratify us with something awesome (hopefully)
    Whats up provapes sleeve? VW device to stay up with the curve?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    "am i ok being content with what i have? "
    that's the most interesting question. the answer is dependent only on your capacity to be happy with happy.
    Having used my Chucks with standard Joye 510 atomizers for over three years now, I have to agree.
    However I did step up from 3.7 volt 18650 batteries to 4.8 volt NiMH batteries last December.
    :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread