What are the advantages and disadvantages of nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarasotared

Feb 26, 2015
Sarasota fl
There may be some health advantages that I'm not aware of but it's an additive substance most of us are addicts, I am. Some people can have a drink now and then while others get addicted. Why try something you might become addicted to? I am a recovered smoker meaning much like aa it's one day at a time. I liken the ecig to methadone for the recovering ...... addict.

Foggin Munky

Feb 28, 2015
Florida
There may be some health advantages that I'm not aware of but it's an additive substance most of us are addicts, I am. Some people can have a drink now and then while others get addicted. Why try something you might become addicted to? I am a recovered smoker meaning much like aa it's one day at a time. I liken the ecig to methadone for the recovering ...... addict.

Gotta agree with ^^this guy^^

Disadvantages: it is addictive
Advantages: it eases the craving, if you're already addicted

If I wasn't already hooked on nicotine, there's no way I'd use it. It's effects simply aren't enjoyable enough to make up for how addictive it is. Just my opinion.

As for weight loss/gain or appetite suppression, it has almost no effect on me. Tobacco, on the other hand, will keep me from eating as much.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
If you suffer from certain forms of cognitive dysfunction, or you think that your family has a genetic predisposition to degenerative or auto-immune conditions (if more than one parent or grandparent suffered from Alzheimers, Parkinsons, dementia or ulcerative colitis, for example) - and especially if any of the first three were early onset - then you could find that supplementation of dietary nicotine is a good idea.

Unfortunately, research into this topic is in its infancy. Even your doctor will probably not be able to advise you accurately.

Nicotine may perhaps be better taken in pill form since we know it is clinically impossible to create dependence by this method, whereas we only suspect so for vaping but have no clinical evidence so far. In other words you can take nicotine in multiple ways, such as smoking or NRT or vaping, but some are definitely inadvisable and some we have no evidence for. NRTs have plenty of clinical evidence for their complete lack of any potential for dependence (it is impossible to create dependence on them clinically, which means while the subject is under observation and observing certain protocols).

There is one caution: if you come from a family with a predisposition to certain medical conditions for which nicotine has clearly demonstrated benefits both for prevention and treatment, there appears to be a small risk that if you suddenly stop supplementing it* then the risk of presentation with the condition (for one of these conditions, at any rate) is significantly increased. So the message seems to be: don't start - but if you do, don't stop.

* Nicotine is a normal part of the diet, so extra amounts can be regarded as a nutritional supplement until the point at which effects can be physically felt

But simply for the purpose of improving the vaping experience, you can ignore nicotine and look elsewhere - there are many ways of adjusting the various effects. Best to do that instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread