What Can Be Done to Prevent Parallel Batts of Unequal Voltage from Draining into Eachother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen any parallel battery setup that prevented balancing. Can you elaborate why you would want to do this?
You should always use IDENTICAL batteries in parallel, as in same make, model, age, and state of charge. They will self balance what little differences there are between them, and this is how parallel packs work.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I was posting while you replied, if they heat up very quickly, you have likely installed one battery backwards and shorted them across each other. This is very bad, and will (has) destroy(ed) both batteries.

^^that^^

I've been concerned myself that alot of people might think 'parallel' batteries means they are side by side next to each other in a box.
Electrically Parallel batteries means the two positives (tops) are connected and the two negatives (bottoms) are connected.
Two batteries in parallel produce the same voltage as one; you can get more power and time out of them.

Electrically Series batteris means the positive of one is connected to the negative of the other, and together they output double the voltage that one would output.

In some box mods, you place the batteries side by side, but one is upside down; that situation is actually series batteries.

^^that^^

I've been concerned myself that alot of people might think 'parallel' batteries means they are side by side next to each other in a box.
Electrically Parallel batteries means the two positives (tops) are connected and the two negatives (bottoms) are connected.
Two batteries in parallel produce the same voltage as one; you can get more power and time out of them.

Electrically Series batteris means the positive of one is connected to the negative of the other, and together they output double the voltage that one would output.

In some box mods, you place the batteries side by side, but one is upside down; that situation is actually series batteries.

Excellent point. Battery holders/trays/slots/holes/etc are not always marked. The way the batteries go in does not always indicate if they are in series or parallel. If you insert batteries like they were in parallel in a series mod, nothing happens, the electrical potential of the batteries cancel and it just doesn't work. If you insert them like they were in series in a parallel mod... well then they heat up very quickly and vent (or explode).

Read the manual (if there is one), understand your mod and how it works, and if the battery holder is not marked showing which way the batteries go in, MARK IT! Preferably in a permanent manner (permanent marker doesn't count, because sometimes it isn't).

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
I've never seen any parallel battery setup that prevented balancing. Can you elaborate why you would want to do this?
You should always use IDENTICAL batteries in parallel, as in same make, model, age, and state of charge. They will self balance what little differences there are between them, and this is how parallel packs work.
well, that was my initial thinking as well, but then I read a few posts on here and elsewhere that made me think that their doing so would be bad in some way.

If it's not then more the better.

I realize that wedded batts is necassary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread