What chemical to use for removing chrome plating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techmatlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2013
Long Beach, CA
For my sigelei #8, what chemical can I use to remove chrome plating from the brass components? I've read on google that Hydrochloric Acid (HCL), otherwise known as Muriatic Acid works. I'm unsure of using a very hazardous chemical on the mod though, as I read HCL is hard to flush off and I don't want any of it coming in contact with my skin. I've read that people have used Coke before with positive results or vinegar. Are these food-safe ingredients possibly strong enough? How long should I soak the components before the acid starts corroding the brass?

rockmissjess

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2013
Prescott, AZ
Use things you have around the house to remove chrome plating

1 - Mix baking soda or household cleanser and water into a paste that you can rub onto the chrome with a soft cloth until it comes off - with considerable elbow grease.
Depending on what metal is under the chrome, this method may scratch that metal.
2 - Spray the chromed surface with a popular oven spray foam.
Allow the foam to dry for 10 minutes and wipe the chrome off along with the spray-cleaner.
Oven spray-cleaner may darken the metal if left to sit too long, so it is smart to apply the process repeatedly in short increments until you have the result you want.
3 - Soak the item overnight in a container filled with cola.
The cola will remove the chrome thoroughly and ready it to be wiped off.
4 - Soak the chromed item in household bleach.
Of these household items, only bleach will leave the primer in place.
5 - Use brake-fluid to remove chrome plating.
Rub the chrome object with brake fluid and let it set about 10 minutes before rubbing it off with chrome finish.
Brake fluid may darken the metal if left to sit too long, so it is smart to apply the process repeatedly until you have the result you want.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
I'm curious to see which myths get debunked too. #1 is like sanding too, something like how toothpaste works. #2 and #5 are a bit too nasty to be practical. I've soaked brass in vinegar + hydrogen peroxide, but this is to remove any surface lead in the brass. It leaves an interesting milky gold finish, not sure if it will eat through chrome though.

techmatlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2013
Long Beach, CA
I'm curious to see which myths get debunked too. #1 is like sanding too, something like how toothpaste works. #2 and #5 are a bit too nasty to be practical. I've soaked brass in vinegar + hydrogen peroxide, but this is to remove any surface lead in the brass. It leaves an interesting milky gold finish, not sure if it will eat through chrome though.

I believe this is what the Coke did to the brass by removing the lead and leaving a swirled milky gold finish. Didn't look all that great. Vinegar results were slightly better than the Coke, but not by much. It exposed a tiny part of brass in one area. I ended up sanding my mod which is what most people do. It turned out pretty good except for hand sanding taking forever. It also left some flat spots and imperfections, but it's cool

eazy off oven cleaner (the full strength stuff) will do the trick!

Have you used it before successfully?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Sanding can get you to a mirror finish on brass but you have to go at it in steps and increase the grit count as you go. 180 to 2000 and being careful to get the scratches from the previous grit out before going to the next. also good is to not be too aggressive with the course grit to avoid deep scratching in the first place.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread