What do you suggest to a newbie? Clearo, carto, drip, other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrSyn

Verified Member
May 13, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I would get an Ego-T or Ego-C passthrough with a mini vivi nova. I just started and this is an easy set up, easy to clean, and not expensive. I get mad good vapor and flavor, and Im pretty pleased. Its a great way to start, and congrats on joining the forum.

Being that is what you started with, I have to ask, what other delivery systems have you used? I mean no offense but if you've only tried novas can you really compare then to anything else?

I ask since I'm looking at trying out a nova or two in the future.

JohnnyBGoode

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Gelder,NL
Bunch of proper joyetech Ego batteries, 650s for a not so frequent vaper, the bigger ones for a heavy vaper cause they'd go nuts recharging otherwise. They screw on pretty much anything, last a good while and charge on your lappie.

With it a nice vision mini vivi nova. Cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, great vapes.
No stuffings to mess up your flavor and rebuildable if you want to drop the maintenance costs a bit further.

No fuzz, no electronics course required, even my mom got it the first time :)

Mike36609

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2012
Mobile, AL
I started just under a month ago and the kit I purchased had two t3s and a single box of unpunched boge SRs.

I thought for SURE that clearos would be where I'd land. I was wrong. I'm really enjoying the carto experience for flavor and TH but I wonder what the rest of you think is a good "starter" delivery system.

My advice for any beginner would be cartos, and if you are vaping thinner juices Boge cartos may be ok, though the better choice would be Smok cartos, and they would be a must have for thicker juices. Cartos, if they are filled correctly, are the easiest way to get started, they are more consistent in every way than clearos, and they don't leak. You do need to be sure to keep them wet however to avoid burning.

Dripping is a good method as well, but due to the need for continual replenishing of the liquid, is not as convenient as using cartos.

Clearos are great when they work, and a source of constant frustration, and expense, when they don't.

As with all advice you will receive - YMMV. After all, there is a fine line between love and hate.

DarrSyn

Verified Member
May 13, 2013
Atlanta, GA
My advice for any beginner would be cartos, and if you are vaping thinner juices Boge cartos may be ok, though the better choice would be Smok cartos, and they would be a must have for thicker juices.

As someone that's only had boge cartos, can you explain what makes Smok cartos better? Both in general and for thicker juices?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Clearomizers and Vivi Nova tanks (essentially a large clearomizer itself) are easy to fill and use for beginners. These must be tipped or swirled frequently to keep the string wicks wet with e-juice to prevent dry hits. Some people feel these can mute some flavors, and the plastic tanks are not immune to some tank-cracking flavors.

Cartomizers use a polyfiller material instead of string wicks to draw e-liquid to the heating coil. Not position dependent, but you are not able to see the juice level because of the all metal casing. Used in a cartotank, you can easily see the juice level in the tank and it's larger capacity to hold juice allows feeding the cartomizer automatically for all day use. Some people feel cartotanks provide full flavor of the juices. Like cartomizers, a cartotank is not position dependent. If the tube material is made of pyrex or polypropylene (frosted plastic) or metal, they will be safe for use with the tank-cracking flavors.

For a picture dictionary of the more common juice delivery devices, read this blog: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...k-what-primer-juice-delivery-attachments.html

What's safe for cinnamon and citrus flavored e-liquids? http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...6-something-safe-cinnamon-citrus-flavors.html

Last edited:

sooevo

May 2, 2013
Boston
if I could start off new again looking for a PV, I would skip the kits and get a KGO vv for 18-24 dollars and grab an affordable evod with 1.8 heads for back up as well as a 5 pack of Boge cartos. the KGO vv would probably be a little daunting for someone just starting off but why not jump in and make a splash. I think having both carto and clearo experience right off would help a beginner vaper save some money by figuring out whether cartos or clearos are what they like. When I started I went out and bought a bunch of different clearos and learned I hated a lot of them.

Lucy74

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2013
Michigan
If you are liking cartos then maybe a carto tank would suit you well. I have a plethora of boge carto tanks. They're cheap and worth a try. There are 3 different size tanks, I myself like the F17's a skinnier tank. There's also the F15, skinny and shorter, my problem with those is the cartos you get with them don't have a flange on the bottom, so if you pull off a tight fitting drip tip and aren't careful, the carto will slip out of the tank and juice will get everywhere. The other is the F16, that's a fatter tank, about the size of a vivi nova tank. They are polycarbonate, so they won't be able to handle volatile juices (citrus, cinnamon, etc), for those kind of juices a glass tank would be better, they are pricy though. So it's best to make sure you're happy with carto tanks first. And just in case you aren't familiar, carto tanks use cartomizers that have holes punched in so that it'll feed itself juice from the tank. You do have to prime the carto just like you would with one without the tank. You can do it easily by filling the tank and covering the bottom hole of the carto and take a few pulls, you'll see the liquid in the tank go down, the filler is absorbing the liquid.
The best site I've found for these tanks is the Vapelite site. My F17's are $4.45 ea. I did a bunch of research and that was the best price I found. He also ships fast.
Good luck! :)

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Awhile ago made a juice bet with a friend/ convert. I traded my Provari with carto+ tank and he loaned me his Reo Grand. Within 10 mins I was at a 1 hr delivery service and sending him 240 ml of my best juice. If you're into flavors and a solid hit dripping wins every time hands down IMO. Having said that I use the polypropylene Mini Vivi Nova and have experienced no cracking issues.
All IMHO and in order best to worst according to what I've used:
Dripping
Carto+ tank
Vivi Nova
CE4/ 5.

ghost62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2012
Marion, Ohio
Echoing Baditude - Carto tanks.
I started with cigalikes and cartos, bought a cheap dual coil carto tank (hated it) and went on to flirt with clearos. Finally, I settled on ViVi Novas and ran those for almost a year. I was never quite satisfied.
On the urging of a more experienced vaper, I invested in a good quality carto tank and haven't looked back since. Huge plimes of vapor (I run low rez SMOK cartos on a 3.7v mechanical- 70/30 VG to PG juice) and excellent flavor.
I am a heavy vaper and have 3 tanks filled at any given time, switching between them throughout the day. Cartos are lasting me 10 days on average and it's a snap to refill the tanks once they are set up.
Priming and keeping them wet is key. There are some great how-to's here on ECF.
Personally, I am a huge fan of IBTanked.com and their full tank kits.
Several registered vendors on the forum sell really good quality tanks, refill tools and supplies.
Good luck and, remember, to each his own.
Ask, research and then JUMP!

Mike36609

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2012
Mobile, AL
As someone that's only had boge cartos, can you explain what makes Smok cartos better? Both in general and for thicker juices?

My experience has been that Smok cartos are just better than Boges.

What I don't like about Boges...

The Boges that I have used, have had a very dense filler material, so dense that it doesn't absorb juice very well, if at all; Like pouring water on a brick. If you are patient enough, and it does take time, you can eventually get them to accept the juice, to some extent anyway, I have never felt that I got them fully saturated, which is what you are trying to accomplish. When vaping Boge cartos, I have found that you must constantly keep topping them off so as to prevent the filler from being scorched due to lack of juice. Just way too much hassle.

What I like about Smoks...

The complete opposite of what I have said above. The filler material is much more accepting of the juice; much easier to fully saturate. And, since I know that the carto is fully saturated, I don't have to worry about topping-off the carto with anywhere near the frequency as with the Boges. I have never scorched/burned a Smok carto by letting it accidentally run low on juice. Whereas I have had Boge cartos burn for this very reason.

Between the two, I have found no noticeable difference in taste or build quality.

Regarding Smok or Boge and thicker juices. I like 100% VG juice, or near that, which is typically regarded as being thicker than PG juices. When trying to fill a Boge carto with thick juice you can count on being there quite awhile, watching it puddle on top of the filler and never being absorbed. With a Smok carto it soaks in very quickly. In filling two cartos, one Boge, one Smok, of standard size and with the same juice from the same bottle, I would typically be able to get the Boge to accept 24 to 30 drops, whereas the Smok will typically accept from 36 to 40 drops. With the Boge I know that it is not really saturated and therefore will require more refilling to prevent burning. With the Smok I know that it is completely saturated and I can vape it without fear of burning for a much longer period.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Since there has never been a law that we all have to like the same thing, all we can do is suggest a place to start. Then it's through trial & error that a person will find what they like best.

This is what I've been suggesting as a place to start.
    ElectronicStix.Com · Smok KEAR Beginners Kit

ONLY ... I ran into a bit of a problem ... I like them all :lol:

Last edited:

jimrug1

ECF Veteran
    Jun 27, 2012
    Peoria, IL
    I started out using cig-a-likes, boge cartos, and drips but those all seemed too much hassel for me. I like the "fill and go" aspect of the clearos especially for beginners. I think it all depends on what you get used too. I have never used carto-tanks so I can't comment on those.

Its all quite personal but good quality clearos were and are very user friendly for me. I now have 3 Vivi Nova minis, 5 Vision V3 rebuildables (I like the tighter draw of the V3s), and a Kanger pro-tank for more corrosive juices. I use them on Vision spinner and EGO twist batteries. Since I went to rebuildables, I have had no significant issues with my equipment. I literally have a drawer full of unused cartos, drip tips and non rebuildable clearos.

Last edited:

Nicadmus

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 13, 2013
    Portland, Oregon, United States
    Incredibly new to vaping myself, but thought I would share my brief experience. I think clearo's are a smart and easy way to get into vaping. They allow you to fill easily, hold more juice then a cartomizer alone, and you can SEE the level your juice is at which is helpful when first learning.

Having said that, after only three weeks I find myself loading up a cartomizers more often then not, partly because I am trying new juices all the time, but also because of their durability. I can throw a couple in my pocket and be fairly confident I won't have liquid running everywhere.

I have not tried dripping, and I have yet to use a carto/tank set up (both of which I think I will enjoy even more). For me, they seemed a bit less user friendly right out of the gates. Once you know vaping can work for you, however, they seem to be the more preferred method by the majority.

EDIT: In regards to cartomizers, I have only tried the Boge's so far, but have the same issue as mentioned above about the filler material being difficult to saturate. I will give some Smok carto's a try and see how they preform. I appreciate all the help people are so willing to share here.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    There are actually a few different methods to fill a cartotank; no one way is the best way, except the way that you find successful. I suggest trying the above bottom fill method, and if that is not to your liking, try the top fill method.

I've made some modifications to the top fill method that is described step-by-step in the following blog article. With this method, there is no need to blow the cartotank out with your mouth (and possibly get e-liquid in your mouth). There is also no need to let the tank "set" for a period of time -- it will be ready to vape as soon as you have filled it. Many ECF members have used this method and found it to be successful for them.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-5-cartomizer-tank-setup.html

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread