RDA What do you think about RDA/RTA clones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY
I just got into RDAs a few months back--- and did not want to drop a ton of $$$ on a new hobby right off the bat that I may not be into or may have a hard time at. So via FT and Ebay I purchased 3 clones, and I have to say that I was pleased. One was junk, burned the crap out of my lips. One is so so................ and the third a Vertex clone is a champ. Now that I have my feet somewhat under me and want to continue with RDAs.............. I will not be as scared to drop good money on an authentic one in the future

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
Clones....I love clones! If it weren't for clones a lot of us couldn't afford to vape.
Don't bash something you've never tried.
Stumpy Clone
image.jpg
Derringer Clone
image.jpg
Vulcan Clone
image.jpg
I have about 15 more rda's that are also clones. I have 3 derringer clones. The only clone I ever had a problem with was the early version of the Hobo, the center insulator melted, the company I ordered it from replaced it with the rda of my choosing.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
These days I only use rda's. In fact only one rda, an SV clone from fasttech. It works fine. The chinese could come up with their own original designs and eventually they will. They already design most of the tanks and regulated mods and those can be called authentic, right? A $100 rda is a luxury good. There's a market for that. I'm not in that market.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I don't have an issue with clones, but whenever I have bought one in the past, I have never felt quite as satisfied as buying the original. It's like buying a fake Rolex - it will look like one, and may be even more accurate than one, but a Rolex it is not.

Live by your means and buy what you can afford and what you like.

Let me talk from experience.

Clones are priced accordingly.
Authentics are extremely overpriced.

I have over 20 lbs of RBAs and about 85 mods, both authentic and clones.

There is nothing wrong with clones.
Many are built Better than the authentics at a fraction of the price.

In fact many of the most popular authentic modders plainly sell clone atomizers.
REO for one.

And Rolex watches are overpriced jewelry, that takes a $200+ a year service to keep time like a timex.
The fakes with the ETA Swiss movement are more accurate and are much more durable.
Rolex has been living off the rep they made in the 60's.
;)
By a Rolly for jewelry and use the timex to actually tell time.

Stephen1520

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2015
Texas
i've been looking at some RDA clones and found a hellboy clone that i like. anybody have any expierence with a hellboy clone? here's the one i'm considering: $10.71 Hellboy Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / white at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
I just got that exact one in my vape mail today from FT. All I have done so far is give it a bath in the cleaner. I haven't built on it or anything but I can say, just by taking it apart, that the build quality seems very nice.

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Let me talk from experience.

Clones are priced accordingly.
Authentics are extremely overpriced.

I have over 20 lbs of RBAs and about 85 mods, both authentic and clones.

There is nothing wrong with clones.
Many are built Better than the authentics at a fraction of the price.

In fact many of the most popular authentic modders plainly sell clone atomizers.
REO for one.

And Rolex watches are overpriced jewelry, that takes a $200+ a year service to keep time like a timex.
The fakes with the ETA Swiss movement are more accurate and are much more durable.
Rolex has been living off the rep they made in the 60's.
;)
By a Rolly for jewelry and use the timex to actually tell time.

I think I have been misunderstood here. I'm not against clones - at all. I have many clones and they work well (many even better than the genuine thing). My point is that my sense of "satisfaction" is never quite that as having the original. Not because of its performance, but because it is just not the "official" product. I used the Rolex watch as an example (and no I don't have one btw and never would) as a fake Rolex can do everything and more that a genuine one can. But people still buy the originals don't they? And they do that because there is a sense of satisfaction about having the genuine product, which is lacking (for me) by buying clones. This however would not stop me buying them though.

As I said before, live buy your means and buy whatever makes you happy.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I think I have been misunderstood here. I'm not against clones - at all. I have many clones and they work well (many even better than the genuine thing). My point is that my sense of "satisfaction" is never quite that as having the original. Not because of its performance, but because it is just not the "official" product. I used the Rolex watch as an example (and no I don't have one btw and never would) as a fake Rolex can do everything and more that a genuine one can. But people still buy the originals don't they? And they do that because there is a sense of satisfaction about having the genuine product, which is lacking (for me) by buying clones. This however would not stop me buying them though.

As I said before, live buy your means and buy whatever makes you happy.
I understand and agree.

People that know their gear and buy authentics don't buy them because they are better performing or even better made. (because they aren't).

They buy them for exclusivity, collectibility, and just to own an authentic.
Which are all perfectly good reasons.
I own several authentics.
Mine were all very reasonably priced and worth the dough IMHO, but I don't fall on either side of the fence.
I just like the gear.
As long as it's made well, and priced right, I'm a player.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I've bought a number of authentic RDAs and RTAs, none were over $35, which to me is a fair amount. Charging $120 or more for an RDA not made out of a semiprecious metal, even if it does have a design innovation is a liberty in my opinion.
I have bought $8 clone RDAs that I loved, and even though they functioned perfectly, I bought the authentic. As it was (in my opinion) reasonably priced and I wanted to support the original manufacturer.
As the Ninja said, a lot of what you are paying for with high end authentics is the pose value.

skiball

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
I'm not in the luxury market for vape stuff. That's fine for other people, just not my deal. I want just enough quality for a first class vape. $40 mods and $10 rda's are getting it done for me and I only have a few so I still have some money when something better really does come along.

Can anyone recommend an online retailer with a very large selection of rda's, similar to fasttech but some different stuff? I'm looking for rda's optimized for MTL and single coils, 2 post designs inparticular.
Search for the nebula wine rta 2 post super simple. They have it at ft though but that or the wotofo serpent might do it for ya.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Search for the nebula wine rta 2 post super simple. They have it at ft though but that or the wotofo serpent might do it for ya.

Thanks for the tip but I'm strictly using drippers these days and 99% of that is fasttech's SV clone. It's still got a center post, somewhat fiddly to build on but it comes with two barrels, one with just one air hole so I don't have to tape off the other one for MTL. Easier to control leaks with that setup and the flavor beats my other drippers. I wonder why I can't get an MTL version of the derringer or the tugboat. All they need to do is provide an extra barrle with one small hole. I would gladly pay some extra for that. The industry focus on lung inhaler's is curious. They don't need to ignore the rest of us.

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
I don't see anything wrong with purchasing Clones if that is what you want and it works for you. After all the main objective is to stay off the Cigs; period.
But you have to be careful where you get your Clone; due to mainly manufacturing differences. You usually get the quality that you pay for. However you can get good quality Clones.
Be careful to judge others actions; since you've never Walked in their shoes.

skiball

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks for the tip but I'm strictly using drippers these days and 99% of that is fasttech's SV clone. It's still got a center post, somewhat fiddly to build on but it comes with two barrels, one with just one air hole so I don't have to tape off the other one for MTL. Easier to control leaks with that setup and the flavor beats my other drippers. I wonder why I can't get an MTL version of the derringer or the tugboat. All they need to do is provide an extra barrle with one small hole. I would gladly pay some extra for that. The industry focus on lung inhaler's is curious. They don't need to ignore the rest of us.
Brain fart didn't see the rda bit. But the black widow has adjustable air flow with a velocity deck. So you could easily do a single coil and still get it in the center for even airflow. It has a fan thing in the top cap and a ceramic deck but both can be taken out np.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I don't see anything wrong with purchasing Clones if that is what you want and it works for you. After all the main objective is to stay off the Cigs; period.
But you have to be careful where you get your Clone; due to mainly manufacturing differences. You usually get the quality that you pay for. However you can get good quality Clones.
Be careful to judge others actions; since you've never Walked in their shoes.
The clone rda's I've bought from fasttech have all be fine as far as quality and function. The problem is there are very few rda's optimized for single coil and MTL. I've found only one that works well for me, the SV clone used with the single hole top cap. Ignoring MTL is a blind spot of the instustry, not a quality problem.

Reactions: YoursTruli

magus7091

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Morgantown, WV
Two points: First, I have no issue buying clones, and have no issues recommending others to do the same. I have a velocity clone that I use daily and would tell anyone to get one. They're fantastic, and brilliantly designed. But, I'm not paying over $100 when I can get the same experience for less than $20. I'm all for supporting the innovators, but not to the point of elitism. If I had a top of the line authentic, sure, I'd be proud of it. But I'm just as proud of my clones.

Bottom line for me: if it works, I'm happy.

Second, any rda with a good adjustable airflow can be used for MTL, at least in my experience. Tanks don't seem to work well for it, again, ymmv. I'm a lung hitter so my preference for MTL is a fairly weak one, as I usually only do it when I'm wanting to play with vapor.

Reactions: Steven Pye

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Buy clones and support China's economy and not America's economy, if there where no clones coming from China would prices be lower for authentic U.S made gear, etc?
How many American USA made components are in the computer or phone you used to post this message? Probably zero, with 80-90% coming from China...by all means bash on china and their work ethic and production standards if you want to, but if you're going to stop using anything with Chinese origin you may find it hard to post online, or watch TV, or use your car...I could go on.

The clothes many people wear, the cosmetics they use, almost everything with a printed circuit board.. much of it made in China...and the majority will still sit here claiming that they only do "good" for American economy by purchasing authentic vape product? Lol and Lol.

I always think the difference is quality control and customer service as well as a big chunk of luck. A good friend of mine who is an engineer explained to me recently that due to the low cost manufacturing of these clone attys the machining tools aren't of very high quality to start with and aren't replaced nearly as often as would be necessary to keep the elements being machined within the tolerances/quality levels. This leads to high fluctuation in the quality of clone attys depending on where, within the production runs, your atty was made. But at a price point of $10 you could easily risk having to oder two in order to ensure one will be in a working condition with acceptable quality of machining, threading etc. For example I own an authentic Sub Ohm Innovations Subzero Competition RDA as well as a clone and the difference is enormous. The clone works well, but this being my favorite rda I much prefer the authentic, feels better, works better, hits harder. When you compare price, it really depends on your budget and expectations but $65 vs $10 is not that big of a gap. I absolutely love dripping and it's a very sensual thing, not to sound cheesy but I just enjoy dripping with beautifully made equipment. If you are serious about vaping and want the best experience possible, just save up a little and invest in something beautiful and at the same time you'll be supporting the industry and in the long run will be far happier with the results. Just my two cents.

What Exactly is a Clone?

Is a Clone strictly something that is Made by an Independent Company using someone else's Design? Or does it Also include "White Box" items that are made by the Original OEM?

My gut feeling says that "White Box" OEM items are not considered to be clones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread