What Flavor Percentage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I'm curious if anyone knows what percentage of flavor professional liquid manufacturers (such as vapetasia and Naked) use?

I mix at 10% because for years I read that it was a good percentage for strong flavor, but nothing turns out as vibrant as I think it should.

Obviously I could experiment with upping my percentages, but a few people who considered themselves great DIYers made fun of my "high percentage" recipes and left me feeling confused about what I was doing.

So yeah, I'd love to hear feedback. I just want make very flavorful and strong mixes.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I don't have their recipes - but my understanding is that many commercial juices are up at or even above 20% total flavoring.
I've reduced my % slowly over time, but I'm still at something like 15% total. And I can't vape any commercial juice I've tried anymore - I find it "sticky sweet" or "chemical" compared to my own.

There's also old advice that too much flavoring can overwhelm and result in actually muting the experienced flavor - but I'm guessing that's not your issue. Perhaps you need to add something different to the mix to give it a "kick"?

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I don't have their recipes - but my understanding is that many commercial juices are up at or even above 20% total flavoring.
I've reduced my % slowly over time, but I'm still at something like 15% total. And I can't vape any commercial juice I've tried anymore - I find it "sticky sweet" or "chemical" compared to my own.

There's also old advice that too much flavoring can overwhelm and result in actually muting the experienced flavor - but I'm guessing that's not your issue. Perhaps you need to add something different to the mix to give it a "kick"?
I like a little sweet even though it can overuse coils. Maybe I need higher quality VG/PG and Nic. VG is naturally sweet. Where do you buy your base supplies?

Also what additives might give a "kick"? Do you mean a pixy flavor or something similar?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy-Chi

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Obviously I could experiment with upping my percentages, but a few people who considered themselves great DIYers made fun of my "high percentage" recipes and left me feeling confused about what I was doing.

IMO, there have always been, and will always be...people who think everyone else should vape like they do, use the gear they think is "best", make their DIY like they do, etc. However, we're all individuals, with different likes and dislikes, tastes, preferences, etc. Don't let someone else's opinions or preferences...make you think your own are wrong. There IS no "best" total flavoring % to use, or % to use for each individual flavoring, nor brands of flavorings...for everyone who does DIY.

Your DIY should suit your own tastes. Make it at whatever total flavoring % YOU like it at....not what other people like.

What Train2 mentioned is correct though, about too much flavoring sometimes causing muting of the flavor. But agree with him that if your total flavoring % is just 10%...that's not likely a problem. It seems like that would be backwards, but it's not. Also, higher % of flavorings, especially sweeteners, will usually mean drop-in coils and wicks in coils you build, are likely to last a shorter period of time before they "gunk up". If you're OK with that though, in order to get the flavoring that suits your tastes...I'd go for it.

Last edited:

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
IMO, there have always been, and will always be...people who think everyone else should vape like they do, use the gear they think is "best", make their DIY like they do, etc. However, we're all individuals, with different likes and dislikes, tastes, preferences, etc. Don't let someone else's opinions or preferences...make you think your own are wrong.

Your DIY should suit your own tastes. Make it at whatever total flavoring % YOU like it at....not what other people like.

What Train2 mentioned is correct though, about too much flavoring sometimes causing muting of the flavor. it seems like that would be backwards, but it's not. Also, higher % of flavorings, especially sweeteners, will usually mean drop-in coils and wicks in coils you build, are likely to last a shorter period of time before they "gunk up". If you're oK with that though, in order to get the flavoring that suits your tastes...I'd go for it.
I agree, we're all mixing for ourselves after all. :thumbs: But I do believe some companies have better quality supplies than others and I'm always interested to hear where everyone gets their stuff.

I'm just now getting back into mixing after a few years break, so I feel new again. The company I bought my base supplies from went out of business.

I know what flavor brands I prefer - like I really enjoy Purilum.

I used to build on RTAs, have never dripped. I don't think building is hard but since coils like the ones from FreeMax have arrived I'm taking a shortcut. :rolleyes:

I'm going to stop using Super Sweet (PUR) though. I think if I could find a good Ethyl Maltol it would be a better fit. I've read it's 1/3 as sweet as Sucralose.

I just love reading about what you guys like too. I always appreciate a good link to a good product. :D

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I'm going to stop using Super Sweet (PUR) though. I think if I could find a good Ethyl Maltol it would be a better fit. I've read it's 1/3 as sweet as Sucralose.

Ethyl Maltol wasn't made to be used as a sweetener though, like TFA Sweetener, Cap Super Sweet, and others like your PUR sweetener were. It's purpose is to help cut some harshness that many fruit flavorings and others have. In fact, ethyl maltol can/will definitely mute the other flavorings if too much is used...because of what its intended purpose is.

By the way, Bull City Flavors carries many of the Purillum flavorings that Nicotine River/River Supply used to carry. They also have an on-going coupon code for ECF members to use for 6% off. It's just ECF. They have very reasonable S/H, too.

Last edited:

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
Ethyl Maltol wasn't made to be used as a sweetener though, like TFA Sweetener, Cap Super Sweet, and others like your PUR sweetener were. It's purpose is to help cut some harshness that many fruit flavorings and others have. In fact, ethyl maltol can/will definitely mute the other flavorings if too much is used...because of what its intended purpose is.
Ohhh see, this is what I mean about feedback! Thank you! How about Erythritol? Is it basically the same thing?

Reactions: JCinFLA

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    From experience I've found different manufacturers eliquid needs to be mixed at different flavor strengths. Some require 5-10% where others I mix at 20% strength to achieve my desired taste.
    It's always best to experiment first and start off about 10% and see how you like it. You can always increase the % to get your ideal strength.
    Dont forget though some mixes require a longer steeping time before the full flavor comes through.

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    When you are using someones recipe, I think the percentage is determined by what equipment you have and how well your own taste buds are. If you are still using some cart system and a ego battery, your not getting the same flavor as someone using a RDA with stainless steel coils at higher watts. You have to adjust according to what your doing. When I see a recipe before I mix it I get it down to 4-8% cause thats my range for what I'm using then adjust. Also if your vg/pg and nicotine have any off flavors you have to cover up could increase your flavor percentage.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I'm not into ice/coolada/menthol - so are there any other type of "brighteners" that would pump up fruit flavors?

A good friend I taught to DIY really likes to use TFA Sweet and Tart in most of his "fruity" mixes. I've also made fruity eliquid for a couple friends who don't DIY. I made 10mL without Sweet and Tart and then 10mL with it. Both of them preferred it with it. But, that doesn't mean you'd like it.

Here's 1 ridiculously simple recipe I made for them. As always, adjust the % to your own liking.

TFA Watermelon - 7.5%
    TFA Sweet and Tart - 2.5%
    TFA Sweetener - .75%

You could substitute any fruit you like for the TFA Watermelon though.

• Love
    Reactions: christylh8

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    May I suggest vaping on your mix for a day or two? Reason being that depending on what kind of topper you use(and even types of flavoring), the wicking sometimes doesn't start really picking up flavor until a 2nd tank or at least the 2nd day.

What battery and tank are you using?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Another thought. I find that a lot of flavors are just not stand alone, they often need other like flavorings to help round out the taste you may be looking for. You say that 10% is good for you? Then consider using different flavor makers. Here is one mixture I use for my strawberry Mango mix-- an example of what I mean.

INW Shisha Strawberry 2%
    TPA Strawberry Ripe 4%
    FA Strawberry Juicy 2%
    CAP Strawberry 1%

This combo is well within your 10% range and is very tasty, bold and a well rounded tasting strawberry imo.

For those not wanting an 'in your face bold taste'--you can always cut each of the %'s in half. Still a good strawberry flavor. Needs to steep 2-3 weeks.

This is just an example since taste can be complicated. We all have ideas in our heads about what we want something to taste like. Sometimes sticking with just one flavor maker won't get what it is we are after. Something to think about...

Good luck
    :)

Last edited:

christylh8

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 29, 2018
    Huntsville, AL
    A good friend I taught to DIY really likes to use TFA Sweet and Tart in most of his "fruity" mixes. I've also made fruity eliquid for a couple friends who don't DIY. I made 10mL without Sweet and Tart and then 10mL with it. Both of them preferred it with it. But, that doesn't mean you'd like it.

Here's 1 ridiculously simple recipe I made for them. As always, adjust the % to your own liking.

TFA Watermelon - 7.5%
    TFA Sweet and Tart - 2.5%
    TFA Sweetener - .75%

You could substitute any fruit you like for the TFA Watermelon though.

Thank you! I'll give it a try!

christylh8

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 29, 2018
    Huntsville, AL
    May I suggest vaping on your mix for a day or two? Reason being that depending on what kind of topper you use(and even types of flavoring), the wicking sometimes doesn't start really picking up flavor until a 2nd tank or at least the 2nd day.

What battery and tank are you using?

I'm not building right now. I'm using a VooPoo Drag (200W) and Freemax Maxluke tank and coils.

Last edited:

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Hello. There is also a thread called Random DIY mixing and More. Those guys and gals are very knowledgeable and just a fun group. You are always welcome there. Laie_62B.gif

Chiisaiinu

• Apr 20, 2022
    Tacoma, WA USA
    I'm curious if anyone knows what percentage of flavor professional liquid manufacturers (such as Vapetasia and Naked) use?

I mix at 10% because for years I read that it was a good percentage for strong flavor, but nothing turns out as vibrant as I think it should.

So yeah, I'd love to hear feedback. I just want make very flavorful and strong mixes.
    I can't help with Vapetasia but I am fairly certain Naked recipes are open sourced. That is to say if you name the specific flavor your going for you, myself, or anyone else could attain their recipe. Not sure if they would say their brand of flavoring... but I think it would get you in the ballpark.

• Informative
    Reactions: christylh8
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread