What gauge silver wire should I get for my NR wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanPirate

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
New Mexico
Thanks for the info BJ43 but 18g seems kinda huge for the amount of current that will be passing through it. I work in telecom and we pass 40+ volts through 22g wire and don't worry about it. Given it is copper wire but I just can't see why I would need such a large wire 6 volts/12watts max. If i may ask Why do you use such a large gauge. I'm trying to learn as much as I can so any extra info would be great.

Thanks again.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
The thicker wire is so there is mechanical strength to make posts that the resistance wire wraps around. Perhaps by NR wire you mean something thinner to be twisted onto resistance wire to make small distances to connections to positive and negative posts in a rebuilt cartomizer? For that purpose I would consider something in the 26-30G range, but keep in mind the thinner you go more the current gets restricted.

slimest

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2011
Russia, Moscow
ecigroom.myqip.ru
Last edited:

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
If you go to a Lowe's or a Home Depot and buy a chunk of lamp cord (it's stranded wire) try and find the stuff with he clearish jacket/insulation so you can see if it's nickel plated (silver coloured wire)...if you strip the insulation off and unravel the strands you can use that...the individual strands are like 32 or 34 awg (same as our Kanthal)....I use it as the non res wire in my Ody all the time, never had a problem....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
I use 24 guage which I bought from Monster - even at that small a guage trying to twist together the Kanthal and the NR wire is not good - the Kanthal just winds around the silver. What I do now is use some wire ferrules and crimp them together. Connection is solid, and I have not had any problems. The lamp cord idea sounds viable, though.

Trying to solder them is nearly impossible, even when using a good flux - the silver solder just doesn't take well to the Kanthal - maybe Nichrome would give better results, but I don't have any to try it out with.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread