What have I done to my Aegis Legend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
The original. I hoped the leather-ette insert was easily removed since I already knew from a review they included spare screws.
0617181517c.jpg

It is. Just a sticker. Carefully removed it becomes the pattern.

First run was a simple test to make sure it could be done. 4-5oz leather and a basketweave stamp.
basketweave_2826.jpg

It will match the leather accessories of any cop vapers.

Simple again but I had to buy some stamps for this. 4-5oz leather again.
Eagle_2834.JPG

Plenty of left/right options in this line at Tandy.

Now it's getting difficult. 6-7oz leather and carving much too small for my swivel knife.
Bacchus_2839.JPG

I'm not overly impressed with a facial carving, but it's Bacchus, on an Aegis, with a Themis. What's not to love about pagan drunkenness?
Being thick this one needed some wet molding and a lot of sanding.

I have another blank cut of 6-7oz and one I think is 8-9oz. What to make next?

If you want some of your own you can get cheap leather tools and small leather sheets from Amazon. The 4-5oz seemed OK for stamping and wasn't bad to fit. You could probably get a bag of scrap leather which would be cheaper but a gamble if you'd get any thin stuff. All of this came out of my scrap box.
A little drum sander and a dremel can take the edges down to the 1-2oz needed to fit.
For fancier stamps like the eagles you'll have to go to Tandy but Amazon's cheap general leather stamps are very serviceable.

Now get to work!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Rubylith swivel knife. They were designed for old school graphic design. Rubylith is no longer used but the knives are still around because they’re useful for other things. Blade length is a few mm so you can’t cut deep, and it’s a drag knife without positive swivel control, but you can cut very small things

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Rubylith swivel knife. They were designed for old school graphic design. Rubylith is no longer used but the knives are still around because they’re useful for other things. Blade length is a few mm so you can’t cut deep, and it’s a drag knife without positive swivel control, but you can cut very small things

I used an exacto knife and turned the leather like with engraving. I could probably set up a graver block to be a turn table if I want to do something that small again.
An angled blade might help too. That's what I remember using in high school but if I did I can't find it.

I'm thinking of a dead tree. That should be easy to do with my cheap swivel knife. Smaller than I want on a possibles bag but I used my swivel knife for oak leaf stems smaller than what I'd have for a centered tree.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
The original. I hoped the leather-ette insert was easily removed since I already knew from a review they included spare screws.
View attachment 751031
It is. Just a sticker. Carefully removed it becomes the pattern.

First run was a simple test to make sure it could be done. 4-5oz leather and a basketweave stamp.
View attachment 751025
It will match the leather accessories of any cop vapers.

Simple again but I had to buy some stamps for this. 4-5oz leather again.
View attachment 751027
Plenty of left/right options in this line at Tandy.

Now it's getting difficult. 6-7oz leather and carving much too small for my swivel knife.
View attachment 751029
I'm not overly impressed with a facial carving, but it's Bacchus, on an Aegis, with a Themis. What's not to love about pagan drunkenness?
Being thick this one needed some wet molding and a lot of sanding.

I have another blank cut of 6-7oz and one I think is 8-9oz. What to make next?

If you want some of your own you can get cheap leather tools and small leather sheets from Amazon. The 4-5oz seemed OK for stamping and wasn't bad to fit. You could probably get a bag of scrap leather which would be cheaper but a gamble if you'd get any thin stuff. All of this came out of my scrap box.
A little drum sander and a dremel can take the edges down to the 1-2oz needed to fit.
For fancier stamps like the eagles you'll have to go to Tandy but Amazon's cheap general leather stamps are very serviceable.

Now get to work!

GORGEOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
This is the 8-9oz piece for more pillow effect. A lot of skiving around the edges. I might need to remake this, I didn't expect it to take up that much width, the ends may end up popping out. Smaller basketweave stamp. New black Legend too, for when I'm on black ops stealth vaping hiding in the fog.

basketweave_2852.JPG

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This is the 8-9oz piece for more pillow effect. A lot of skiving around the edges. I might need to remake this, I didn't expect it to take up that much width, the ends may end up popping out. Smaller basketweave stamp. New black Legend too, for when I'm on black ops stealth vaping hiding in the fog.

View attachment 753455
I like this one too. It’s not as leatherworkery (yes, nota word) as the other one, but it’s nice. More tasteful in its way.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I like this one too. It’s not as leatherworkery (yes, nota word) as the other one, but it’s nice. More tasteful in its way.

Black basketweave is why I decided on the black one. It will probably stay basketweave unless I come up with a great black design. My shoulder holster is the smaller stamp and other than the wet molded holster part the design is holding up to flexing better than the large stamp did with the insert so I wanted to try it.

Shaving the 8/9oz down to fit was very leatherworky, I don't recommend it for someone starting out just wanting to make an insert for their Legend.

They all look amazing, you could make some money if you were so inclined.

I've thought that. But fitting them for any volume would probably wear out my mods. So I'd need more mods (hmm). It's probably a tobacco product anyway so I'd have to register with the FDA:lol:
I'd be happy to tell people where to get cheap leather and the tools. Other than the rope stamp with the eagles most stamping is easy to pick up on.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Shaving the 8/9oz down to fit was very leatherworky, I don't recommend it for someone starting out just wanting to make an insert for...
Sorry,I didn’t mean to imply it was amateurish by any means. I’m sure it requires serious skills. I was referring to it’s aesthetic, which is all I feel qualified to comment on really.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Sorry,I didn’t mean to imply it was amateurish by any means. I’m sure it requires serious skills. I was referring to it’s aesthetic, which is all I feel qualified to comment on really.

I didn't take it that way, I knew what you meant. I was just saying the pillow effect with that thickness is all hidden work on the back. Thankful I bought that cheap skiver on Amazon.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Man, that is beautiful. I have a black one and I'm ah, considering printing out your creations for the husband because that is AWESOME thanks for sharing it.

LOL, when I read the post title I thought it would be a firmware issue. Pleasantly surprised :)

Anna

I tried the new one without updating it this time. It did have the backlight issue.

Does your husband do leatherwork? If he ever has it should be easy with some youtube videos to refresh memories. I hadn't picked it up for 30 years until I needed a wallet. I'm thinking I need an oak leaf insert.
Wallet 207171854.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
He does or did leatherwork and he's good at it. Probably though he'd have to get better remnants and not store them out in the SHED for like years. Parts of the leather cuttings in there look exactly like dead SNAKE. LOL. I might have to let him choose the leather though I'd probably pick something not durable and the wrong type of material. LOL.

Anna

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Fantastic work! They’re okay looking mods right out of the box, but you’ve really turned them into something special. Love that black basket weave, very handsome!

Thanks. The ends haven't popped out so I'm guessing they won't. It has surely shrank as much as it will by now. I could see Bacchus' border pulling in for a few days before it stopped.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread