SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
aegis legend

Hi there,

Hope everyone is doing fine and is healthy in this time of crisis

Today I have the already well known ‘Legendary’ Aegis Legend for review. This is actually already an older box, and the second in the Aegis line. It is a dual 18650 battery mod that fires up to 200W and is IP67 certified, which means it is shock-, water- and dustproof. I won’t do a stress test on this mod as I prefer it to look good for some time, but I have seen many stress tests and it is really strong.

Of course, these days we already have the Aegis X, the 2nd dual battery Aegis mod, which actually looks similar to the Aegis Legend, main differences are the massive display and upgraded chipset on the X. I did a review on the X (link) and liked it a lot. Unfortunately, at that time I was after the review not using it much, so I gave it away to a friend, so no pictures on this review comparing with the X.

Since it’s a kit Geekvape had to add a tank, in this kit it is the Aero tank. Will get into more detail on this tank later in this review.

The kit is available in tons of different colors.

Let’s look at some specs and parameters;

Parameters

Aegis Legend MOD
Size: 90.5 x 58 x 30.6mm
MAX power output: 200W
Output mode: VW/VPC/TC/TCR/BYPASS/VPC
Resistance range: 0.05-3.0ohm
Material: Aluminum + Zinc alloy + silicone
Battery: 2x 18650 cells (not included)
Temperature Range: 100-315℃/200-600℉
Level: IP67 waterproof and dustproof; MIL STD 810G-516.6 military grade shockproof

Aero Mesh Version
Size: 25 x 45mm (w/o thread)
Capacity: 4ml
Coil Type: Mesh Coil 0.2ohm (30-90W); IM4 0.15ohm (60-80W)
Thread: 510 thread

What you get in the box;

• 1 x Aegis Legend MOD
  • 1 x Aero Mesh Version Tank(4ml, Mesh Coil 0.2ohm pre-installed)
  • 1 x Extra Glass Tube(5ml)
  • 1 x IM4 0.15ohm coil head
  • 1 x User Manual
  • Spare Parts

The mod, it really does feel proper and indestructible, much more than the X in my opinion. It is bulkier and its straighter cornered design looks and feels more old-school, like an old square car. Still it feels really nice in the hand and it’s a really comfortable thumb fire. The leather part just feels nice to hold as with all Aegis mods. It’s an ok index finger mod, but I just feel the design is really meant for thumb firing. The silicon does very much attract dust and fur (in my case my cats), you will also see that on the pictures.

Overall looks are really nice, and the combination of materials make it a nice looking mod. Nice thing is that you can easily replace the skeleton, fire buttons, panel around the buttons and leather part. So whenever you want to change your style you don’t necessarily have to buy a new mod.

Prefer the screen much more than on the X. The screen is also the reason it feels much less vulnerable and lays better in the hands. Obviously, it is much smaller, which I like more preventing cracking and scratching massive screens. It is easy to navigate, for those that own the solo or mini, the menu and way of navigating is the same. Additional feature on the Legend is that you can change the theme color (red, light blueish/green and dark blue).

Buttons respond well and have a nice clicky sound, no rattling when shaking it next to my ear.

Battery door is one thing that I am worried a bit about on the long term. Already in the beginning it is hard sometimes to close, you really have to push it down with force to close it. It is designed the same way as the X, but with the X it was much easier to properly close the battery door.

The older V1 chipset is slightly worse from the X, I see this especially that it sometimes does not equally drain batteries. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. It is not a massive difference if it does not, but the problem is that when one battery drains the low battery protection kicks in. It does fire up quick, just as the X, don’t see much difference there. Another thing is that whenever the puff counter hits 999 it will reset to 0, it does not go higher than 4 digits, pity.

Generally, I am a VW user, not really into temp control, but I did test it on the Nichrome coil that came with it and it does work, I do however see it needs a second or so to get the the desired wattage you set up on the device. Also, I am not into bypass and VPC, but it is available and does work properly.

Overall, even though it has an older chipset, I much prefer the Aegis Legend than the Aegis X, the reason being is the smaller screen and the feeling it is much more indestructible than the X. Since I am not so into TC and all those other fancy features the Legend is just great for VW. Not saying the X is a bad mod, it’s a fantastic mod, but for me the Legend just fits my needs more.

Below some pictures next to my Aegis solo:

What can I say about the aero tank It’s already an older mesh tank and will not beat any mesh tanks that were released in 2019/2020 I think. It is extremely like the Cerberus which comes with the Solo, Mini and X and even takes the same coils. It vapes very well, it is a real pleasant vape, but there are simply better tanks out there there these days. For example, the Zeus SubOhm is better in my opinion.

I’m not a fan of tanks where you need to take of the glass and bottom part to replace the coil, it is just messy and you can’t have much liquid in your tank to do so, or you have to throw it away.

The top fill is simple and clean, large enough fill ports and the easy lock mechanism makes it easy to open up the tank for filling. Did not experience any leaking issues nor from top, side or bottom.

Airflow ring it self turns smoothly and there is lots of air if wide open. It is however a VERY loud airflow; don’t think I have had a louder airflow than this one. Especially with the single mess coil it is really loud.

Bummer is the capacity, 4ML is just not sufficient when vaping a mesh coil or quadruple wire coil on high wattage levels (70+). I end up filling frequently.

Drip-tip delivered with it is a fine drip-tip, problem is that whenever using a different wider tip it will overhang the out sticking connector part.

The single mesh coil capes really well at round 70-80 watts, it delivers proper flavor and lots of vaper. It is a pleasure to vape and the performance keeps up well, after a week its still going.

M4 Quadruple coil is a nice vape as well at around 70-80 watts. It is not a mesh coil and I do recognize it in flavor. It has good flavor, but the performance goes down quicker than mesh. Another thing is that when chain vaping this coil the tank and glass tend to get really warm.

Good thing is that the Aero tank is compatible with many coils, not just Geekvape coils, also with the TFV8 and TFV12 baby coils. Geekvape wise, both Super Mesh coils fit, 0.2ohm Super Mesh X1 Coil - Rated for 30-90W (which is in this kit) and 0.3ohm Super Mesh X2 Coil - Rated for 30-45W. Next to that there is two round-wire coils, 0.4ohm IM1 Coil - Rated for 40-60W and 0.15ohm IM4 Coil - Rated for 60-80W (the one in the kit)

Let’s summarize;

What I like about this kit:

- You can’t go wrong with an aegis, solid design and build
- Enough functions to satisfy my needs
- Lays very well in the hand, especially for thumb fire
- Ability to easily replace skeleton, leather part, buttons and panel
- Takes a 26mm tank with no overhang
- Three theme options
- Tank delivers proper flavor and vaper experience
- There is a variety of coil options

What I don’t like:

- Puff counter resets after 999
- Battery door feels vulnerable and does not always close easily
- Airflow is really loud
- 4ml tank is not sufficient
- Sticking out drip-tip connection created overhang for wider drip-tips

Verdict;

A lovely properly designed mod that doesn’t mind to drop or get wet. It feels really nice in the hands and has a comfortable thumb fire. The functions on the device are more than sufficient for me, additional color themes is a nice additional feature. Battery door is something to be careful with as it feels vulnerable. Also, the batteries do not always discharge equally, but its not a big deal.

The tank that comes with it is more than OK, it’s a good drop-in coil tank that delivers good flavor and has plenty of coil options. Downside is the 4ml capacity, its too little for such subohm tank. Already have a good RTA or tank, just buy the mod, you won’t go wrong with it.

Thank you,

SP013

Kmacc07

May 8, 2021
I love my Aegis mod Legend I bought two years ago. It has been the longest lasting vape I've ever owned. I don't think it's the aero tank because you do have to remove the glass to change coils but I don't mind. My problem is I use the Smok V8 X Baby X4.13 coils. I cannot find any in stock. I have no idea what other coils I can use in it. I vape at between 35-45w. Please help! I'm down to my last coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread