• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

`````What If the good stuff was sold main stream?`````

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
I’m not sure I kinda like it the way it is.

I'd have to agree with this sentiment. I think the idea of a future with mainstream vaping is exciting in a way, but I really don't see any advantage to we who already vape. If anything, choice, price, and quality will suffer with the corporatization of vaping as has happened with many many examples of new products. I'm sure there will always be producers of quality hardware and juice, but there will definitely be a squeeze on them and this will result in increased prices or decreased quality.

Pretty much the only positive I can see is a societal validation and vindication of vaping for us......that we won't be as much of "outsiders" as we currently are.

I don't think that's really necessary for me, though.

albertbert

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2011
Canada
The government will never give power to ecta. If their whole self regulation thing works, which i doubt it will, other vendors won't have to go through them. They will be able to their own thing to become compliant.

I like the way things are now too, but something is going to change whether we like it or not. E cigarettes will keep growing, and eventually the government is going to do something about it. Either accepting them, with regulation, and taxes, or whatever. Or maybe they will ban them. Something will change, and ecta won't have anything to do with it.

RockyMountain

Moved On
Sep 18, 2012
Canada
The way things are is the way I would like it to stay as well, wishful thinking that is though. Ecigs are banned in Canada, that is what an advisory by health Canada tells you,

"Persons importing, advertising or selling electronic cigarette products in Canada must stop doing so immediately. Health Canada is providing information to interested stakeholders on how to apply for the appropriate market authorizations and establishment licences."

Regardless of all the vendors selling our dear products, they are doing so against the direct and clear notice of HC and have been doing so since this advisory came to be.

If ECTA does succeed in there crusade (they have a better chance of being struck by lightning) then we are all going to be getting screwed, customers and vendors alike, becasue this will bring taxes and strict regulations into the mix. If you think the government is going to allow ecigs to be mainstream without getting a huge chunk in their kitty, then you are as naive as a blade of grass that thinks it won't get step along heavily walked path.

Not to mention when Tobacco and Pharma companies decide to open there wallets, that will be a whole other ball game.

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
While I certainly don't mind how things are now, it would be nice to have some standards of testing and rules for vendors/manufacturers.

Right now I can't say with any certainty what I am vaping beyond what a vendor says. Is that 18mg I ordered actually 18? Is the PG/VG USP grade? What flavours are being used and are they relatively safe? Beyond taking their word for it, who knows? I had the time to sit on the forums and read through countless posts found in subforums of subforums. The average consumer doesn't, and won't. Even now we're finding out that silica wicks may not be particularly safe to use, though they're used in the majority of popular clearos. All these vendors making money hand over fist aren't going out of their way to do more testing/research. They're ordering and selling the hot items, putting sales on the ones with known issues, and waiting for the next ones to come out. Rinse repeat. They're not (*all) in it for our benefit.

I dono. As I said, I more or less like where it is now but: Changes will come on the wings of regulation. Eventually it will get to a point that it can't be ignored any longer. I'd rather have a group of vendors/manufacturers try to be a part of the changes than just having politicians and paid-for doctors.

Ayce

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2011
Saint John NB Canada
The way things are is the way I would like it to stay as well, wishful thinking that is though. Ecigs are banned in Canada, that is what an advisory by health Canada tells you,

"Persons importing, advertising or selling electronic cigarette products in Canada must stop doing so immediately. Health Canada is providing information to interested stakeholders on how to apply for the appropriate market authorizations and establishment licences."

QUOTE]

All the bolded portion says to me is, "We will provide appropriate market authorizations and establishment licences, when we get paid by the vendors to do so."

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON

Regardless of all the vendors selling our dear products, they are doing so against the direct and clear notice of HC and have been doing so since this advisory came to be.

If ECTA does succeed in there crusade (they have a better chance of being struck by lightning) then we are all going to be getting screwed, customers and vendors alike, becasue this will bring taxes and strict regulations into the mix. If you think the government is going to allow ecigs to be mainstream without getting a huge chunk in their kitty, then you are as naive as a blade of grass that thinks it won't get step along heavily walked path.

Not to mention when Tobacco and Pharma companies decide to open there wallets, that will be a whole other ball game.

ECTA is a non issue. Its a dying thing its up to us to ensure we are the voice when the day comes when we have to defend ourselves. This the ECF is a powerful start.

fourtytwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Toronto
Just want to toss in two thoughts. One relating to the original post and one relating to the ECTA issue.

On the ECTA issue, think about how the government does things in uncharted waters. IF they do any due diligence at all, it will be through a select few large groups in the field. As the industry is now, ECTA would appear, from the outside, to be the biggest representative of the vendors and the industry as a whole in Canada.
You must keep in mind that Canadian vendors tend to keep semi hidden and a government representative would not have an easy time garnering the trust of dozens and dozens of small partially paranoid mom and pop operations across the country.
With this in mind, it might appear that ECTA might have a disproportionate say in the future of vaping in Canada unless something changes.

With regard to the original post, the really good stuff will not even begin to go main stream with the production volumes we are seeing from all but a few of the quality manufacturers.
Items such as GG’s, Darwins, Zens and other high end devices are of such low production and high cost that they will likely only be supported in boutique stores. The market for such items would be too small for all but a very few B&M stores in the country. Just look at how few of the existing non B&M vendors in the country carry such items now.
The real opportunities for large stores such as Canadian Tire would be in the cheap Chinese made minis and possibly smaller devices such as eGos. I can see them selling 510 starter kits for $35 or $40 and something like an eGo-C kit for over $100. All of this would be have to be manufactured in China and branded with Canadian Tire’s house brand.
Provari at CTC? Not likely. One does not go to CTC to buy high end tools so I don’t expect they would carry high end PV’s
This would all be dependent on the ability to sell consumables. As has already been stated, that is where the real money is in the long term and why would CTC sell high maintenance hardware if they could not also sell the profitable consumables as well.

RockyMountain

Moved On
Sep 18, 2012
Canada
ECTA is a non issue. Its a dying thing its up to us to ensure we are the voice when the day comes when we have to defend ourselves. This the ECF is a powerful start.

Let's hope you are right PG.

Just want to toss in two thoughts. One relating to the original post and one relating to the ECTA issue.

On the ECTA issue, think about how the government does things in uncharted waters. IF they do any due diligence at all, it will be through a select few large groups in the field. As the industry is now, ECTA would appear, from the outside, to be the biggest representative of the vendors and the industry as a whole in Canada.
You must keep in mind that Canadian vendors tend to keep semi hidden and a government representative would not have an easy time garnering the trust of dozens and dozens of small partially paranoid mom and pop operations across the country.
With this in mind, it might appear that ECTA might have a disproportionate say in the future of vaping in Canada unless something changes.

With regard to the original post, the really good stuff will not even begin to go main stream with the production volumes we are seeing from all but a few of the quality manufacturers.
Items such as GG’s, Darwins, Zens and other high end devices are of such low production and high cost that they will likely only be supported in boutique stores. The market for such items would be too small for all but a very few B&M stores in the country. Just look at how few of the existing non B&M vendors in the country carry such items now.
The real opportunities for large stores such as Canadian Tire would be in the cheap Chinese made minis and possibly smaller devices such as eGos. I can see them selling 510 starter kits for $35 or $40 and something like an eGo-C kit for over $100. All of this would be have to be manufactured in China and branded with Canadian Tire’s house brand.
Provari at CTC? Not likely. One does not go to CTC to buy high end tools so I don’t expect they would carry high end PV’s
This would all be dependent on the ability to sell consumables. As has already been stated, that is where the real money is in the long term and why would CTC sell high maintenance hardware if they could not also sell the profitable consumables as well.

Consumables are what the sticking point is, if and when the government decides they want to allow liquids with nic to be openly sold it will not be due to a group of 8 vendors. It will be when BT and BP say to them that they are wanting to bring this to market. No group of vendors have the power to make this happen, they simply do not and will never have the resources available to them to do so, once they have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in vain and see the reality it will most likely be to late for them. To me it just seems like they have put a big bulls-eye on their back( which does not bother me at all:)

Just like any high end purchase, you are right, CTC and pertro will never likely carry such things, but I am sure they would be more than eager to stock pile flavors in every strength from the cheapest manufacturer in a heartbeat. Only time will tell I guess, I know one thing for certain this ECTA crap will never get my vote just on principle. IMO they are a group of money hungry lackeys, that preach safety and harmonious vaping for all but behind closed doors rip off people that once supported them, before those people woke up and smelled the coffee, all they do is censor any questions or hardline comments from anyone outside 'Their clan". Failure for them is a matter when not if.

On to vaping some bobo's, yumm:)

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
The only way I see this going mainstream is if BT and BP get on board and realize theres a new market to rape. You'll see tobacco companies branding their own e cigs (get em hooked on nic and dont kill em, win win.) and its not a huge jump from nic inhalers to vaporizors. Once they get their hand in the cookie jar the "mainstream" will come and in a big way.

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
You know when I started this thread its was in jest but all of you wonderful fellow vapers kicked the discussion up into the stratosphere. It doesn't matter what you position is. It started out a little "Rocky" (couldn't resist) but got into some very thought provoking discussion. It gives me confidence that this community will be able to defend itself when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread