What is EM or sweetner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ethyl Maltol crystals, normally mixed in pg at 10% for a sweetener, helps add body sometimes, and is what makes cotten candy juices. Marshmallow can be another one to try.

Note, you'll want to make it a 10% mix in PG, and THEN use 0.5-1% of THAT mix in your eliquids. Any more is usually overkill.

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
i have EM crystals. how do i mix with PG?

EM is NOT a sweetener. It is a flavor-duller / smoother / balancer, that can be sweet if you use way way too much. It is a flavor killer, not a flavor in itself, and should be used sparingly and strategically for desired effects.

to make your EM 10% solution, which is what ready-made EM solutions are, mix that 8g vial you got from Wizard labs (just guessing) with 70ml PG. That much EM solution will last you forever. Or you could measure 1g and mix that with 9ml of PG for a smaller batch, if you have a scale. PG is basically 1g/ml, so the ratio is pretty straightforward. Just heat the PG in a jar in a hot water bath and add the crystals, shake it up and you're good.

But don't use it for sweetening.

To sweeten use TFA Sweetener, which is sucralose and some other stuff. Or you could just use pure sucralose. Some people use stevia, but I think the sucralose is better. Eventually I just added a bottle of TFA Sweet to an order; I like it better than straight sucralose.

I use EM in the 0.25%-1% range in mixes that need it, in which I need to removes some of the sharper edges of the flavors so they fit together more cleanly and smoothly. In tobacco juices I use TFA Smooth instead. Using high levels of EM will really impair the expression of actual flavors in the mix, and it makes vapers' tongue much worse as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread