What is Makrolon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Vapyr

Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
Montana, USA
The new kayfun Lite Plus technical description lists a component as a " Makrolon®" tank, with the other being of course, stainless. Not knowing what Makrolon® is, and figuring that those clever Russians and Germans know their stuff, my curiosity was aroused.

So, Google and I combined forces to find the following link:

Sheffield Plastics - Product Information - Sheet Products - Makrolon® (Polycarbonate)

So, it appears to be a fancy trade name for a polycarbonate. But, as you will see, there are many variations of this material for many assorted uses.

I am wondering if anyone knows if they use the food grade, Makrolon® FD, or are they using one of the many other variations of the original material?

You would think that they would use the food grade material, and if not, why? What do they know that we don"t?

So the point of this all inquiry revolves around the question "Are they really taking this product all the way, like everyone thinks they are? And what is their rationale for using whichever specific variation of the material they have decided upon? Hey, they are the ones who opened the subject, so are they as clever as they appear? My guess is they are because look at their attention to detail with the rest of the design. But I am still curious because I have one coming in the Vapemail soon, I trust, and the excitement grows daily. Got my 28g Kanthal on order and everything!

What do you think? It also makes me wonder what kinds of polycarbonate the Chinese are using? Has anyone really studied why some juices crack polycarbonate tanks? I recall hearing that it degrades the plastic, but that would look different, no? Or does it just weaken the plastic until it gets bumped and fails? Aren't VG and PG non-solvents? They are stable and don't seem to me to be active enough to degrade anything. Is nicotine a solvent of plastics? Is this just an urban vape legend?
I have had two inexpensive plastic tanks fail and results are inconclusive. If their Makrolon® tank can take my cinnamon and black licorice DIY, then I will be impressed.
All you wonderfully expert and beautiful-people vapers out there, please help me with my monkey brain!

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
I don't know what grade of Makrolon they use, but if no-one has that info it would probably be best to direct your question to Svoemesto themselves.

It's not PG, VG or nicotine that cracks plastic tanks, it's certain flavourings. Specifically it's flavourings that use essential oils in larger amounts that seem to be the worst. That includes citrus flavourings, cinnamon, peppermint and spearmint, aniseed, clove, absinthe and so on. I think there was a list in the DIY forum of flavours likely to be plastic tank unfriendly, but I can't find it right now, but here is one from Mount Baker Vapor. It's surely dose related too, in that a juice with a hint of cinnamon may not cause the immediate damage that a juice with 25% cinnamon concentrate in it would do.

The interaction between flavourings and plastics is beyond me, but here was a useful post I saw a while back where Peter (a chemist who owns Decadent Vapours) explained some of the issues with essential oils and plastics.

I would add that whatever Svoemesto use, the tanks are made quite well. I don't use many tank cracker juices, and if I do they tend to be subtle flavourings rather than in your face. I've been using a Kayfun Mini 2.1 for about 2 years now, continuously, and it's still on the original tank. It's looking a bit clouded and scuffed, but no sign of failing.

Last edited:

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I have Makrolon and Polycarbonate Kayfun M-tanks. I had been using some banana pudding eliquid in a Makrolon tank for a few weeks without any problems. When I switched to a polycarbonate tank and filled it with banana pudding, cracks appeared in the polycarbonate immediately - no bumping or dropping was required.

DB544768-1FEA-45F6-8CE6-C750908BBFB2_zpshmode78w.jpg

I don't know how long Svoemesto has been using Makrolon, but that's what the KFL clear tank is made of.

nasca

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
USA
keep in mind polycarbonate can leech BPA, DEHP, and estrogen-like hormones and that "tank cracking" might just be the more obvious sign that e-liquids and these types of plastics are not the best match; there may be more we dont see. PMMA/acrylic is safer in this regard, but there are two studies that I know of that show that even PMMA leeches when exposed to heat and damage. perhaps the cutting of the threads constitutes "damage" and the heat from vaping is enough to cause leeching, but we dont know yet. I only use glass and steel tanks because plastics are still questionable.

I even remember smoking weed back in the 90s and the more common pipes were made out of pretty low-grade materials -- pretty gross in hindsight. but now, it's all glass and titanium because that's what people demand. I see vaping headed in that direction eventually.

nasca

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
USA
keep in mind polycarbonate can leech BPA, DEHP, and estrogen-like hormones and that "tank cracking" might just be the more obvious sign that e-liquids and these types of plastics are not the best match; there may be more we dont see. PMMA/acrylic is safer in this regard, but there are two studies that I know of that show that even PMMA leeches when exposed to heat and damage. perhaps the cutting of the threads constitutes "damage" and the heat from vaping is enough to cause leeching, but we dont know yet. I only use glass and steel tanks because plastics are still questionable.

I even remember smoking weed back in the 90s and the more common pipes were made out of pretty low-grade materials -- pretty gross in hindsight. but now, it's all glass and titanium because that's what people demand. I see vaping headed in that direction eventually.

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA

There's gotta be an option that's both non-reactive with our e liquids and resilient enough to withstand a drop from the heights we normally Vape at (ie the height of your face).
Ps. What's up with your account image, are you into saranic worship or something? Just seems like an odd choice to wave as your flag on a vaping forum. You know he advocated the ritual sacrifice (*read as murder) of women and children, right?

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
There's gotta be an option that's both non-reactive with our e liquids and resilient enough to withstand a drop from the heights we normally Vape at (ie the height of your face).
Ps. What's up with your account image, are you into saranic worship or something? Just seems like an odd choice to wave as your flag on a vaping forum. You know he advocated the ritual sacrifice (*read as murder) of women and children, right?
Crowley did a lot of things, whether they were all true or not well never know, and he sure as hell wasnt a Satanist, but I didn't see anyone waving an OTO or Golden Dawn flag or even mentioning religion, which doesn't have a place here.

nasca

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
USA

If that's the criteria for a tank, then stainless steel or PMMA is currently the best option.

but then again, I'm just a flag waving, saranic worshiper that engages in the ritual sacrifice of women and children, so what do I know? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread