What is preheat mode - and how does it affect coil life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yodara

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2018
Kenya
Howdy friends of the clouds,

can anyone help with this?

I use a aspire skystar mod with freemax double mesh coils now again after a long time.

The skystar mod has a preheat option - just "soft", "normal" and "hard".

How do these differerent settings affect coils life? What is the benefit?

Much appreciated!

P.S. I am back to vaping from today, my parcel just arrived. Let's do something for our health. Will miss those cigs but...gootta be more responsible, I am almost 25 now. But why....anyway. I need a diary probably.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If I'm using a High Mass, Multi-Wire Coil, it might take awhile for the coil to Heat-Up to the temperature that I want to use. So a Pre Heat can give the Coil a Short Blast of a Higher Wattage than what I have the Mod set to.

This can Help in giving me a more Uniform Hit. And Shortens the Long Ramp-Up Time that can be a Problem with some types of Coils.

If you use Low Mass, Single Wire builds, the effect isn't so noticeable. Because Low Mass, Single Wire builds have shorter Ramp-Up Times.

How much might Pre-Heat effect Coil Life? Hard to say. It's one of those things that you just Kinda have to play around with and see what happens.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

P.S. I am back to vaping from today, my parcel just arrived. Let's do something for our health. Will miss those cigs but...gootta be more responsible, I am almost 25 now. But why....anyway. I need a diary probably.

Quitting Smoking is the Single Greatest thing you can do to Improve your Health. And the Earlier you do it, The Better.

Good Job.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I find that preheat doesn't seem to affect coil life, but I'm not a high wattage vaper. I require preheat for any coil made with 28g wire or thicker.

The few mods I have that don't have it, I don't enjoy much and have relegated them to my small clearomizers that use 30g wire and thinner.

The benefit is as Zoidman stated.

• Agree
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread