What is steeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawrscary

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2011
Seattle
I've been looking at juices from tasty vapor. I tried one of their coffee flavors and their butter rum flavor. Really love them, but I made the mistake of ordering 48mg nicotine versions, and I can't vape them at that strength. I'm going to start having heart palpitations if I vape them again lol.

I see they have doublers in 4oz sizes. I also notice they have a statement saying "steep time one week" What does that mean? I've been vaping for a few years now, but I'm unfamiliar with this term.

Also just curious if anyone knows how much doubler I'd have to add to the bottle of nic juice to reduce it down to 18mg? My understanding is if I have a 48mg strength juice, I just add the same bottle size and that takes it to 24 I think. Not really sure =/ If anyone knows the measurements I'd appreciate it lol!

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK
Steeping is letting a juice sit so the flavor will increase and become Fuller. Can just let it sit, or sit with the top off in a drawer, or throw it in the microwave for a few seconds a few times, or sit the bottles in the sun. Every flavor reacts differently when mixed, some need to steep some don't. Sometimes when flavor is mixed in a smaller percentage, takes longer also. Shortcut to steeping for a lot of flavors is just use more flavoring. Flavoring is normally the most expensive component of a mix though depending how strong they use it.

Yes, same bottle sized of 0 nic juice will cut your first bottles nic in half.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I haven't tried it, but some folks say that heating your juice by putting the bottles in hot water for an hour or two will steep the flavors.

I've also ran across statements from vendors that claim their bottles are not micro-wave friendly and don't recommend it.

I've also ran across some statements that sunlight affects the nicotine and advice a dark place for steeping.

I don't really know one way or another as the only method I've used is to set it back in a drawer, lid on, for a few days. It's worked for me a few times and hasn't worked for me a few times as well lol.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
It's still up in the air to what is actually happening during the steeping process. (hence so many different ways people steep juices) I personally think that during the steeping process nic is degrading and the volatiles (ethanol) from the flavoring are evaporating.

From my own experience I think you're right, except add melding of flavors in some cases (the real reason for steeping). There's several variables here with the biggie being personal taste imo. Not all flavorings are alcohol based, but what you get might be, depending on the vendor. For example, madvapes claims all alcohol based flavors.

Back when honeyville had their opening sale, I ordered several samples from them and I could tell they were fresh made when I received them. Most were good right out of the box, but a couple of them I threw in a drawer for a few days. They definitely improved a little to my taste buds at least. I've had similar experiences on a few juices from other vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread