What is the healthiest type of e-liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jUsoNeaZn

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
NY
I was reading a sticky post in the e-liquid forum and read that there are different standards to how healthy an e-liquid can be for you. Pharmaceutical, WTA added ect, not sure if I stated that right, but to be blunt, when considering an e-liquid, which categorization would be considered to be the healthiest for you? Pharmaceutical grade? or some other category?

Burn_notice_fan_NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ithaca, NY, USA
I know of no pharmaceutical grade e-liquid. The healthiest would probably be unflavored e-liquid with a PG or VG mix with no nicotine. If the doesn't float your boat, add in pharmaceutical grade nicotine. If you need flavors, this is where the problems begin, in my opinion. You should avoid flavorings that have diacetyl or any of its brethren and some artificial cinnamon flavors are believed by some to be hazardous. However, unless you order from some sketchy company, no matter what you get,with nic content in reason, it is probably healthier than many of the chemicals in tobacco smoke.

serotonin

Apr 25, 2014
AZ, USA
I guess VG only, for starters. PG, while MOSTLY safe isn't AS safe as VG. I noticed that certain medications don't mix well with PG (not from experience but when reading package warnings). Someone was telling me about eliquids that contain caffeine and vitamins, but it sounded a bit too good to be true so I read up a little and found that they're not very effective and it's just a marketing scheme.

jUsoNeaZn

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
NY
I am using Halo E-Liquids at the moment, its what I started with and it seems good. It mentions that it does not use "Diacetyl" in any of these liquids, what is this for?

@ Serotonin - what do VG and PG mean and why is one safer than the other?

I smoke tobacco and menthol flavors for the most part, I have been testing some others sweeter flavors, but these are my favs at the monent.....If "Halo" is not a health constious brand, then can anyone recommend a good brand that is better for me? I plan on vaping for a long time (ex smoker) and want to reduce any health effects that I may have in the near and distant future...I know that this is much less harmful than regular smoke, but still, it can not be beneficial for the body, this being the whole idea to my original post.

Brandon0618

Apr 3, 2014
Southern Ohio
Really any popular name companies, they all seem to have some sort of guidelines including "most" do not use diacetyl. PG/VG are both safer than smoking, as to which is safer is up for debate imo, I am no scientist nor do I try to act as one, but I'd stick with whatever ratio you like the most.

Just switching to vaping, from what we have seen and heard so far is MUCH MUCH better than smoking ciggies.

PG = Propylene Glycol, which typically holds flavor more, typically more Throat hit, less vapor.
VG= Vegetable Glycerin, which is typically less flavor because it carries flavor less, less throat hit, more vapor ( also much thicker, which may be worse for certain setups, also bunks coils quicker.

I suggest just delving deeper into the forums to look up the benefits of either, but as I have said before I firmly "believe" either way your better off than smoking, I think you should just choose what you like the best.

As to which companies have "healthier" ingredients I also believe that is up for debate, I suggest emailing each company that you are interested in and asking what they use in their products if your concerned. OR maybe the have a person on here for their company that you could even PM to ask.

Either way, Good Luck in your searching and Vape On! :vapor:

Last edited:

Burn_notice_fan_NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ithaca, NY, USA

jUsoNeaZn

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
NY
So I was reading on the Virgin Vapor page and it looks interesting. I have a few questions about it though...

1) it says that you can get 1 of three types of liquid, VG, 50/50 VG and PG, and PG variations.....I was also reading that I should stay away from ethyl alcohol based liquids. What is the differences between these three variations?

2) Virgin apparently sells its products in retail stores, has anyone tried this option for buying? I am curious if I could get taste samples without having to make a small investment to trial a flavor out.

3) If anyone can give me a more detailed explanation of the differences between the regular line and the absolute line, the more information the better.

Sarin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
The way that i look at it is that there is a degree of risk in everything, is vaping less hazardous than smoking, yes, is it more hazardous than not breathing anything other than air into your lungs, you may never know. You pick your poison and play the game, nothing fun and adrenaline inducing is totally 100% safe (open to a challenge here). Stick with reputable brands or people that know what they are doing and you trust and you won't go far wrong. Remember it's probably inexpensive for a reason, not all the time, but a large proportion of it.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
You are asking a question that no one can answer.

All you need to vape is VG or PG. The best I can say is that every chemical that is added to your liquid makes it less safe. So if you want the safest liquid look for the ones that have the least chemicals. I would also want every chemical in my juice to be approved by the FDA to be for use in human consumption. That not a guarantee of safety either for eating or vaping but it is better than nothing.

My own guess is that the simple one ingredient fruit flavors in pharmaceutical grade VG are the safest for vaping.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I think you're asking about DIY or making your own juice, if so, it would be better to ask your question over in the DIY section. Veteran DIYers do, sometimes, drop by here but your best bet at them seeing your question is over there. "Safest" is a pretty general question... I could just say the one not inhaled for instance... or the one containing the least flavoring... or the one with no coloring... its a pretty deep subject, so they'll want you to be more specific. If you're asking about pre-mixed ejuice, this day in age, any of the approved-vendors here are going to have safety in mind and then it comes down to judgement-calls with personal preferences... ie: only USA products used, USA mixed, other country juices, natural/organic/kosher, no food coloring, etc. Big subject... try to narrow it down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread