what is the shelf life of eliquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wishdog

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2012
Hazel Green
Sure, the efficacy of the nicotine will diminish, or really the nicotine will break down. The liquid's "journey toward entropy" isn't going to seem like a spoiled food. It'll just get blander and blander. Since the flavors are much more complex than the nicotine, the taste should go before the efficacy.

Edited to add: I don't know nothin' 'bout nothing' but I am a strong believer in entropy.

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
Odd. I find the flavor to get stronger and "darker" with age. Seems like the juices get marginally better tasting after a week or two. Then, over months, they seem to get thicker and lose their "brightness" if that makes any sense.

For example I just recently revisited a bottle of orange creamsicle that's almost two years old. It was 50/50 VG/PG in 36mg nic. It has lost most of it's sweetness. Still orangey and tasty, yet substantially different than I remember when it was new. Also makes a much thicker vapor now. Could be some evaporation or breakdown of content. Since it's not nasty tasting or making me ill, I'll keep using it until it does or I run out. I've also considered getting some straight PG to cut it a little and see how that turns out. VG would just make it too thick and unvapeable for me.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
well, here goes my two cents, again not being a vaporer for too long I can only go from the chemical end of it. PG is much more subseptable to evaporation than VG. VG is a thicker ingredient so it gets more concentrated and gels. PG from what others say on the DIY juice talk is what carries the flavor, that is why at the better sites when they state 100% VG they will put in a disclaimer that is not actually 100% as they need a certain amount of pg to bind the flavor, if not vg and the extracts of flavor would separate. THe lack of flavor you find might be that the PG that held flavor evaporated . Im also assuming that means that if they use organic or 100% nat flavors that eventually they being natural might have a shorter shelf life. Ive seen some people say they have juices for years and still good. Maybe those are the artificially flavored juices with high pg content.

Quitter

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Cleveland, OH
I bought a gallon of 100% PG from Tractor Supply about a year and a half ago. I've been using it to DIY and cut down a bottle of 100mg nic juice. I've noticed that it seems thicker and has been gumming up my cartos and tanks. The vapor is pretty bad too. I can only assume that it's going bad and am going to stop using it. I have a friend who uses only premixed PG juices in small quantities (10ml bottles) and we have identical TW Tornado Tank devices. Hers hits and works beautifully! Mine takes twice the pull time to get the same amt of vapor and the carto seems to get progressively gummed up. I can only asume it's the PG I'm using. So I just ordered 120ml of unflavored nic juice and 120ml of PG from Bluemist (to mix together for an 18mg base to add flavor). I sure hope this fresh stuff will do the trick!! I'm a long time vaper and have become very discouraged because the quality of the vape has gotten so bad!

Someone touched on it earlier, but what is the conventional wisdom on storage? Even though I'm a pretty heavy vaper, It'll take me some time to go through this 240ml that I got.How should I store it to preserve it the best??

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Store your Nic base in a big glass bottle and in the freezer, it thrives in the cold. I Transfer mine right to a glass bottle, and I also fill 3 x 30ml bottles and always take from and use the 30ml bottles first, once all 3 30ml bottles are empty I then fill them again from the big bottle. This way my main big bottle gets opened much less so less oxygen gets to it. So far in almost 3yrs this system has proven to work best for me.

PG & VG by them selves last about 2 yrs, VG can last a bit less then 2 more like 1.5 from my results.

However once you make a juice the flavorings are what end up going bad the fastest, the fridge has proven to store my DIY and purchased juice the best. I store my juice in the fridge till I'm ready to use a bottle then take it out and it stays out, but new bottles of juice not in use I keep in the fridge always. Just how I do it anyways :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread