What is the success rate for vape shop customers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I asked the clerk in my local vape shop about how many of his customers end up becoming non smokers. He estimates, if they start with a competent beginner setup, the success rate is about 80%. His estimate is plausible to me, partly because I'm part of that 80%. Is there any body here who works in a vape shop who can comment on this? If some research found the numbers are anywhere near that good it would be a worthy and favorable news story.

I would like to be able to say to a smoker, if you go to a vape shop ready to spend a little more than the cost of a carton of cigarettes, then actually use the stuff you bought, you have an 80% chance of getting off cigarettes.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
It's not how many vape shop customers succeed, it's how many people who use vaping to quit smoking succeed. I vape, but don't go to vape shops to buy gear and supplies. I get those online.

This study claims a 20% success rate for people who use e-cigarettes to quit smoking. That is 60% better than the success rate for people who quit smoking cold turkey or by using NRTs. I quit smoking over two years ago. 20% success rate sounds reasonable to me.

E-cigarette use for quitting smoking associated with improved success rates -- ScienceDaily

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
That's a lot said there..speaking for myself I was a 2-pack a day smoker for over 30 yrs..my grandson introduced me to vaping and helped me get the right mod, tank and most importantly the right level of nic in my juice, with his help I was able to quit cigs immediately as vaping the right setup satisfied my acquired nicotine addiction.
I believe s vape shop is there to make a sell, not really addressing my personal needs to quit smoking..
My grandson got me a Provari V2 and built me a Kayfun RTA,
showed me how to build it, explained ohms law and taught me how to wrap coils..that was a year ago now and with his personal support I was able to stay tobacco free..I don't think I could've got that kind of help from my local vape shop..just my opinion....

Vicshalls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Houston, TX
I think it all depends on the shop and how good the customer is at asking for help. I did not plan on quitting I just did not want to smoke in my new car and before I knew it I had quit. I did all my own research because I just did not want to deal with people talking over my head. But once I found a good shop that I felt comfortable in then I was open to talking and asking questions.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
It's not how many vape shop customers succeed, it's how many people who use vaping to quit smoking succeed. I vape, but don't go to vape shops to buy gear and supplies. I get those online.

This study claims a 20% success rate for people who use e-cigarettes to quit smoking. That is 60% better than the success rate for people who quit smoking cold turkey or by using NRTs. I quit smoking over two years ago. 20% success rate sounds reasonable to me.

E-cigarette use for quitting smoking associated with improved success rates -- ScienceDaily
The particular vape shop clerk I mention is somebody who sees hundreds of vapers and many or most of them more than once. He is the only person I know who is in his situation so he is the one I asked. The study your link cites defends a 20% success rate. I believe the actual rate for smokers who are getting up to date devices and good mentoring do much better than 20%, may be it's 80%. I started this thread to see if there are any people in this forum with experience similar to the vape store clerk I talked to.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The particular vape shop clerk I mention is somebody who sees hundreds of vapers and many or most of them more than once. He is the only person I know who is in his situation so he is the one I asked. The study your link cites defends a 20% success rate. I believe the actual rate for smokers who are getting up to date devices and good mentoring do much better than 20%, may be it's 80%. I started this thread to see if there are any people in this forum with experience similar to the vape store clerk I talked to.
I agree with your point. Good instruction and good gear can improve quitting rates a lot. But, without valid studies to keep track of the fails and successes any claims are anecdotal and subject to bias.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
I asked the clerk in my local vape shop about how many of his customers end up becoming non smokers. He estimates, if they start with a competent beginner setup, the success rate is about 80%. His estimate is plausible to me, partly because I'm part of that 80%. Is there any body here who works in a vape shop who can comment on this? If some research found the numbers are anywhere near that good it would be a worthy and favorable news story.

I would like to be able to say to a smoker, if you go to a vape shop ready to spend a little more than the cost of a carton of cigarettes, then actually use the stuff you bought, you have an 80% chance of getting off cigarettes.

sofarsogood, I've asked the exact question to the guys at the vape shop I stop at, they have told me the exact same thing, 80%+ success rate is what they estimate.

Additionally, I completely agree with you, I'm one of the 80% too, had smoked a pack or more per day for decades, after buying the right set-up I haven't had a cigarette nor the desire to smoke another since my first vape.

Still have a half a pack of marlboros sitting on my desk, just the smell of the stale tobacco about gags me.

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
I'd have to say the place I go to is pretty good too. I've talked to lots of folks hanging around there and, most have a complete success story. I know I've had people come up to me cause I don't work there and ask me questions also. From 40 plus years of the stick to vaping. Yep, it can work.

In answer to your question, I'm not sure I know the percentage. I know of the people I've personally tried to help it's probably 80 percent. Some just couldn't seem to do it even with the stuff we have now for new folks. We've come a long way from Joye 510 80ma batteries and those damned cartridges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread