What juice I cannot put in my tank???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The major difference in tank materials is the potential of cracking due to the interaction of certain juices out there, in particular some citrus and cinnamin flavors, that can slowly or quickly degrade polycarbonate plastic causing the tanks to crack or completely fall apart.

Polypropylene, Delrin, and Pyrex tanks are resistant to the degrading action of said juices. You will find that they will be more expensive (especially pyrex), but if you plan on using suspicious flavors in your tanks/clearomizers the money will be well spent. The above link about juices/flavors that crack tanks, etc, is helpful.

I not long ago filled a new polycarbonate clearomizer with some strawberry lemonade from a well-known juice vendor, and within 10 minutes the entire clearo had fallen apart, leaking the entire sticky contents on my hand and desk. Since then, I have been researching for clearos and tanks made from Polypropylene, Delrin and Pyrex. The Polypropylene and Delrin will appear frosty/opaque. The pyrex will be clear like the polycarbonate, but due to more durable materials and workmanship requirements will be more costly (check out Phiniac for the ultimate in bling). Phiniac Rugged Pyrex Glass Tanks

Last edited:

Cowboy Cru

Moved On
Mar 24, 2012
The major difference in tank materials is the potential of cracking due to the interaction of certain juices out there, in particular some citrus and cinnamin flavors, that can slowly or quickly degrade polycarbonate plastic causing the tanks to crack or completely fall apart.

Polypropylene, Delrin, and Pyrex tanks are resistant to the degrading action of said juices. You will find that they will be more expensive (especially pyrex), but if you plan on using suspicious flavors in your tanks/clearomizers the money will be well spent. The above link about juices/flavors that crack tanks, etc, is helpful.

I not long ago filled a new polycarbonate clearomizer with some strawberry lemonade from a well-known juice vendor, and within 10 minutes the entire clearo had fallen apart, leaking the entire sticky contents on my hand and desk. Since then, I have been researching for clearos and tanks made from Polypropylene, Delrin and Pyrex. The Polypropylene and Delrin will appear frosty/opaque. The pyrex will be clear like the polycarbonate, but due to more durable materials and workmanship requirements will be more costly (check out Phiniac for the ultimate in bling). Phiniac Rugged Pyrex Glass Tanks

Awesome, thanks! I will check them out!

-CC-my avatar is Uranus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread