Status
Not open for further replies.

dykealiscious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seattle
I've gotten myself involved in battery safety education and as a noob I admit to being confused a bit. Let me make this simple. Ill tell you what my gear is and I just wanna know the safe ohm range. One site said to check the specs for maximum amp output after build but I'm having a hard time finding that piece and I'm not sure if it matters on my builds.

Atty: nimbus clone, dual coils typically
Mech mod- panzer clone, USA made, high quality
Battery: Sony high drain 30a 186500 3.7v, 2100mAh imr li-ion

I don't typically sub ohm as it kills my throat. I tend to like the 1.5-2.0 range. Takes a while to heat up the higher end. But should I want to experiment on either end of the spectrum, what can I safely build in ohms with that battery?

Second question, what's the best setup for a happy medium of quicker light up of my coils and keeping it cooler?

Thank you for indulging me.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I'm guessing you have the sony VTC4? I think that one is the 2100mAh. (30Amp) A fully charged battery meters at about 4.2 Volts. So using that number (4.2), and the resistance of your coil (or any hypothetical coil), plug in the two numbers here ↓ and it will give you "Current" in Amps. Don't build lower than about . .. . meh ~60-70% of Amp rating of battery. (i.e. stop lowering resistance of coil when you hit, oh, about 20 Amps) . . . . .[tee-hee*]

Ohm's and Joule's Law Calculator

*looks like about 0.2Ω

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
second question:

dual coils are generally going to have a longer heat-up time. More stuff to heat. So a single coil build would be a step in the right direction. Normally, folks would use a smaller atty for single coil builds; but as your main concern is a cooler vape (not a more intense one), you might be fine with a single coil in an atty with two air holes.

The other option would be to stick with duals, actually lower your resistance (thicker wire, shorter coils, etc.); BUT open up those air holes to mellow out the vape.

dykealiscious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seattle
Great! I probably should get used to Th and start lowering my ohms a bit. I like the longer drip times with dual, more wick ya know? I'm going to experiment with a diamond coil when my 28g gets here. Also I have 4 holes pre drilled in 2 pairs. Small holes but more holes. I don't have the tools to drill. Thank you!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

dykealiscious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seattle
You, sir, ate awesome. My 1.8 with that voltage is 23%. Does that mean if I lower my ohms its also going to lower the voltage? And yes its the vt4. I guess if you sy no lower than 60-70 I should stay in the 30-40 range not 20 or are you slyly telling me to stay above 20? Thank you!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My 1.8 with that voltage is 23%. Does that mean if I lower my ohms its also going to lower the voltage?
No, with a mechanical mod you are limited to the voltage of the battery. It begins at 4.2 volts (fully charged), and the voltage falls as the battery is used, to around 3.5 volts (when it should be removed and exchanged for another full charged battery). Changing the coil's resistance does nothing to change the battery voltage. It does affect the amp draw from the battery. Lowering ohms increases the amp draw from the battery exponentially.

The coil resistance (ohms) determines the amperage pull from the battery. The goal when building coils is to not exceed an amp draw of more amperage than the battery's continuous discharge rate. Pulling more amps than the battery has available leads to over-discharge of the battery which can lead to thermal runaway of the battery. This is venting hot gas and possibly exploding.

IMR_battery_post-venting.jpg AW IMR battery after thermal runaway

Ohm's Law Calculator

Battery Basics for Mods list of batteries and their specifications

Ohm's Law for Dummies

dykealiscious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seattle
I've read this stiff befor and I'm getting the hang of it. It helps. My Sony is 30A so I want to stay below its maximum when using the calculator yes? I'm actually thinking of going in for a second mod, a variable wattage/voltage. trying decide which one. So I can swap setups. Keeping my dual coil atty for mech builds and downsizing maybe to a single coil drip for the vv. But alao the dual because I like to use dual at the 1.5-2.0 range and it takes forever on the mech to heat up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread