What should I buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
From my understanding, you are looking for a juice delivery device to test sample flavors with.

First of all, from an economical investment viewpoint, cartomizers (or cartotanks for that matter) are not a pratical choice. Once a flavor saturates the polyfill of the carto, it pretty much stays there. So unless you like the flavor in it, that carto becomes a throwaway. (Unless you want to go through the time and trouble of trying to clean them.)

You could theoretically use a clearomizer-type device, but all of them that I am aware of are not totally juice friendly from the aspect that some flavors can attack the plastic that they are made of, causing them to crack, melt, or leach into the juice. Most of these flavors are cinnamon and citris flavors, but there are many more. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-crack-tanks-ce2s-clearos-33.html#post8158663

The vivi nova type tanks are kind of hit-or-miss. These would be easy to fill and clean and then refill with another flavor, but depending upon their construction, version, and model they might be made of the same plastic vulnerable to certain volatile flavors. There are also many people who believe that they mute certain flavors, which would affect their usefulness in testing flavors.

Dripping atomizers are said to provide the best flavor production. However, I personally never got the hang of using them. I found them to be messy and time-consuming. However, if you can get them to work for you, they would be a fine method to test flavors with.

I personally use ce2/ce3's to test flavors. These are relatively cheap - typically around $3. The newer versions are easy to fill, clean, and refill; so they are re-usable and therefore are practical economically. It's been my experience that they produce good flavor representation, and appear to be safe for use with volatile juice flavors.

View attachment 164401 View attachment 164402 View attachment 164407

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
There are many people who use vivi novas and don't find the flavor muted. You can also get metal tanks for them which will not be affected by certain juices. They are a good tank and very popular. Not everyone likes them, but they are hands down better than CE2 and CE3 - I had leak problems with those. I've had no leaks with the vivi novas.
If you are just wanting to test flavor - get any 510 atomizer, or a rebuildable if that's your thing. If you have an old bottom coil cartomizer you can pull out the filling and use that.
For vaping - vivi novas work well with the Vamo. You could try a carto tank - or try bottom coil cartomizers if you haven't used cartos much.
The good thing about the vivis is you can replace the heads - which last a long time if you clean and dry burn regularly. They are also rebuildable.

Here's a link to Phil Busardos vivi nova tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6_b-uUKVJg&list=UUc345z36sFqyC1BheWmW_Iw&index=15&feature=plcp

As he says, he uses the vivi novas a lot.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I've heard of people using smoketec cartos as juice testers by removing the cotton with a pair of tweezers and dripping directly onto the wire. I tried it, and it would work as a juice tester, but I wouldn't want to keep using it as a drip atty.

It works best with bottom coil cartos, like Kangers. The cotton comes out easily and the coil lies on the bottom. Dripping onto the coil is easy and no dry burning. I do it sometimes to test a new juice - especially if I just want to see if its steeped enough. Wouldn't use it as a constant thing though.
Been having a look at rebuildables today. Just not sure if I want to get into tinkering with them. I'm happy with what I use so its just curiosity on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread