What should I upgrade to after the SMOK V8 Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shepherdsdriving

Dec 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Hello all, I currently own a smok V8 Stick and want to upgrade to a more advanced system. I’m looking for a device I can change the temp, output, etc. (sorry I still don’t know the correct terminology) What in your opinion is a good vape to upgrade to? I’m looking for something still relatively easy to use and learn, as well as not too pricey. Would you recommend an upgrade or do you think a SMOK V8 Stick is fine enough. I’m using vaping to try and kick my tabacco habit. Do think think an upgrade will help or just find a higher nicotine strength? I hope that all made sense to you all, I’ve been vaping for a while, but still consider myself to be quite a newbie. Thanks for reading and your input will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: stols001

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
If what you have is not satisfying you i honestly doubt another device will help, imho get higher nic or try salt nic in some form if needed. I personally vaped 6mg when i first quit for about 6 month for have been using 3mg for a good while now as it satisfies me. I do still keep 6mg around just for cases where i feel like i need more.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
A lot depends on form factor and battery preference.

If you like the stick form factor AND internal you can go to an OBS Cube for some regulated vaping.

If you like the stick form, but want replaceable cells, look to the Uwell Nunchaku, Joyetech Ultex, or Ijoy Saber.

If you're looking for a different form factor (box), the field is WIDE open... But, the Yihi chipsets (found in SX Mini, IPV, Vsticking and more) and DNA chipsets (found in more than I care to list) are considered the best. They are also a bit pricey... So, if you're looking for something cheaper, Asmodus, Smoant, and Vaporesso make some nice devices, too.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
More info about you would have been helpful. You said you are hoping to kick a cigarette habit. How much did you smoke and for how long? That information helps determine what nic strength to vape. What nic strength are you using?

For e-liquid, the typical nicotine recommendations are generally determined by how much you smoked, and are as follows:

1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
1 ppd = 12 mg
1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
2 ppd = 24 mg

Should you choose to use a sub-ohm juice attachment (coil less than 1.0 ohm); drop the above recommendations by half.
I think the term you were searching for is "variable wattage". Your SMOK V8 Stick is a "fixed" power output battery device; you have no way to adjust the power to the heating coil to adjust your vape. Variable wattage can be a gamechanger. Often an unsatisfactory vape can become a satisfactory or even a great vape by adjusting the wattage lower or higher. Many flavors taste better by adjusting the power lower or higher.

Word of experienced advise. Avoid SMOK products when at all possible. Especially the mods, they have a history of poor quality control and manufacturer warranty support is non-existant. SMOK tanks (coils) are generally power hungry and juice guzzlers.

Read over my blog below and if you have further questions come back.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
You say you've been vaping a while. So some questions:
What juice/nic level have you been vaping?
I'm assuming you're vaping direct to lung, rather than mouth to lung with that setup. Is that what you want, or you just left the vape shop with the top seller they talked you into?
What is missing from your vape?
You say more advanced, but other than upgrading from fixed output, what do you want that's different?
What do you think would make it more satisfying, to help you quit smoking?

A lot of things are an upgrade to what you have, but you'll find that we're all so different in what works for each of us, that the more you tell us, the better advice you'll get.

Ahoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Philly
Would you like a built-in battery mod? Or do you mind having external batteries to change out? Both of these have their own respective pro's and cons. Maybe check out the Voopoo Drag Mini for a built in battery mod, or a GeekVape Aegis for an external battery (dual 18650) mod. Both of these are highly regarded and are set at an affordable price point for most people (under 60$).
GeekVape Aegis Legend 200W TC Box Mod
VooPoo DRAG Mini 117W TC Starter Kit
Lost Vape Orion DNA GO 40W

Or do you prefer the pod-style system? If so, maybe look into the LostVape Orion DNA pod-system. Great little mod. Ton...TON of options for pod systems this year, companies competing with Juul have been pumping them out left and freaking right. It's insane.Make sure you pick up a pack or two of extra pods if you choose to go with a pod system.

Do you find that the vapor production on your current setup is lackluster at best? Maybe you should look into a sub-ohm tank instead, if you haven't already? The Horizon Tech Falcon is a highly regarded sub-ohm tank, however there are plenty of other options available. Make sure you purchase an extra pack or two of replacement coils. If you feel comfortable enough or have some experience we can start talking about RTAs as well (rebuildable tank atomizers). There are a ton of great RTAs available that allow you to build a coil more suitable to your own taste. This is instead of being stuck with whatever replacement coils are available for your tank at the moment.
HorizonTech Falcon Sub-Ohm Tank

Or maybe traditional DTL/DL (direct to lung/direct lung) sub-ohm isn't your thing and you just can't find a good MTL (mouth-to-lung, cigarette style draw) tank? I've heard a lot of good things about the Zenith tank for MTL vapers.
Innokin Zenith MTL Tank by Phil Busardo and Dimitris Agarafiotis

Let's talk about your juice. Have you found your ADV (all day vape) flavor? If so maybe it's time to check into higher nicotine levels. Maybe look into nicotine salts as well. Nicotine salts are arguably smoother vapes than your traditional freebased nicotine eliquids. I don't know a ton about them so maybe another member can elaborate on salts for you. If not, i'm sure there are a ton of resources on the forum in the eliquid section.

There are, obviously, other sites you can buy from other than vapordna, however they are my personal go-to site for most things anymore. Quick shipping, good customer service and they almost always have the newest products available rather quickly.

Shepherdsdriving

Dec 23, 2018
Wisconsin
More info about you would have been helpful. You said you are hoping to kick a cigarette habit. How much did you smoke and for how long? That information helps determine what nic strength to vape. What nic strength are you using?

For e-liquid, the typical nicotine recommendations are generally determined by how much you smoked, and are as follows:

1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
1 ppd = 12 mg
1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
2 ppd = 24 mg

Should you choose to use a sub-ohm juice attachment (coil less than 1.0 ohm); drop the above recommendations by half.
I think the term you were searching for is "variable wattage". Your SMOK V8 Stick is a "fixed" power output battery device; you have no way to adjust the power to the heating coil to adjust your vape. Variable wattage can be a gamechanger. Often an unsatisfactory vape can become a satisfactory or even a great vape by adjusting the wattage lower or higher. Many flavors taste better by adjusting the power lower or higher.

Word of experienced advise. Avoid SMOK products when at all possible. Especially the mods, they have a history of poor quality control and manufacturer warranty support is non-existant. SMOK tanks (coils) are generally power hungry and juice guzzlers.

Read over my blog below and if you have further questions come back.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
Thank you so much, your blog is very helpful. I was a social smoker for around three years, but for most of 2018 it’s been at least a pack or so a day. I am currently only using 6mg (using SMOK V8 Stick) since that’s all I can find in stores in Wisconsin. And that hasn’t been that helpful since I still vape and smoke. Would have have a product you would recommend the most?
Thank you very much!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Would have have a product you would recommend the most?
Thank you very much!
For smokers hoping to convert to vaping, I generally recommend either of two setups:

The Zenith tank that comes with the Kroma is a mouth to lung tank; it has a tighter more restrictive air draw that replicates the draw of a cigarette.

The Cerberus tank that comes with the Aegis Mini is a direct to lung sub-ohm tank with a looser draw and more vapor than the Zenith. The Aegis Mini is nearly indestructable as it is shock proof and water proof and more pocket-friendly than the Kroma.

I bought three Aegis Mini mods and three Zenith tanks for family members for Christmas gifts. (Mods and tanks purchased separately.)

And I would suggest that you purchase your e-liquid online at 12 mg nic (a pack per day). If you don't have a website to search for e-liquid flavors, try My Vapor Store. They carry hundreds of flavors. If you like fruit flavors, I personally like Simply Fruit, which makes Watermelon, Strawberry, Apple, and Pineapple.

Last edited:
  • Useful

Shepherdsdriving

Dec 23, 2018
Wisconsin
You say you've been vaping a while. So some questions:
What juice/nic level have you been vaping?
I'm assuming you're vaping direct to lung, rather than mouth to lung with that setup. Is that what you want, or you just left the vape shop with the top seller they talked you into?
What is missing from your vape?
You say more advanced, but other than upgrading from fixed output, what do you want that's different?
What do you think would make it more satisfying, to help you quit smoking?

A lot of things are an upgrade to what you have, but you'll find that we're all so different in what works for each of us, that the more you tell us, the better advice you'll get.
I’ve been vaping 6mg on a SMOK V8 Stick. I’ve been vaping mouth to lung since for some reason I can’t get used to the other method. I got the SMOK V8 Stick mainly because the person at the vape shop talked me into it as a good starter and it was fairly cheap. I think for sure a higher nicotine content is something I need as well as something that can simulate the feel and action to actually smoking a cigarette. I’m also looking for something I can tweak to try and get the right hit and airflow. So mainly something that can give me a real nicotine buzz while feeling more like a cigarette then a loose airflow and giant clouds.
I hope that helps, and thanks!

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Kind of thought that, about the shop talking you into it. Seems like most times someone joins ECF, their shop talked them into the V8, whether they even MTL or DTL. @Baditudes recommendation for the Zenith/Kroma seems the most popular here, and I'm sure you'll love it compared to your Smok setup. I started with the Aspire Zelos kit with the Nautilus 2 tank, and it's no slouch. I still use the mod sometimes, and many still like that tank, but I rebuild now.

Good luck!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I got the SMOK V8 Stick mainly because the person at the vape shop talked me into it as a good starter and it was fairly cheap. ... I’m looking for something I can tweak to try and get the right hit and airflow. So mainly something that can give me a real nicotine buzz while feeling more like a cigarette then a loose airflow and giant clouds.
I personally feel the SMOK V8 mod is nothing more than an unregulated mech mod with some protection circuitry. I feel it is a poor choice for a beginner because you are unable to adjust your vape. It has only one power output --- its not variable wattage. As an anology, I often compare an unregulated or mech mod as cooking on a campfire. A regulated variable wattage mod is like cooking with gas. ;)

• As a beginner vaper, one is not often aware of what kind of vape they like or want. An unregulated mod restricts your ability to change settings to something that you might like better.
  • Variable wattage is an option which can be a gamechanger. It allows you to adjust your vape "on the fly" by adjusting the wattage higher or lower as you please.
  • Often, an unsatisfactory flavor or vape can be immediately improved by adjusting the wattage setting.
  • Many flavors taste better at different wattage settings.
  • Vapor production can be changed by adjusting the wattage setting.
  • I usually vape at a lower wattage setting (20 watts) in the mornings, but like a higher wattage setting (30 watts) later in the day when I want a "stronger" hit. Variable wattage allows me to do that.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread