Deciding on a vape kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shepherdsdriving

Dec 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Hello everyone, I’m currently looking to upgrade from a SMOK V8 Stick, since I don’t find it satisfying. I’ve been recommended Kroma A Mod with Zenith tank Starter Kit by Innokin and Geek Vape Aegis Mini 80 TC Starter Kit with the Cerberus tank. Which do you think is a better mod to get? I’m still a relative beginner caper and am more interested in wattage control, air flow, mouth to lung, and a vape that can simiulate a cigarette (since I’m trying to quit) Do you guys prefer one over the other? Or one that would fit my vaping needs the best? Or if you have another recommendation based on what I told you and that won’t break the bank. Thank you so much for your help.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I believe I'm the one who recommended those two kits to you.

Both mods mentioned have 2200 mAh internal batteries and both can put out around 80 watts of power. The Aegis Mini is waterproof and shockproof. Otherwise, the only difference between the two mods is the form factor.

There is more difference between the two tanks. The Innokin Zenith is a MTL (mouth-to-lung) tank which has a restricted air intake to more simulate drawing on a cigarette. It has a 23 mm diameter and a 4 ml liquid capacity. It has adjustable air intake. It has two coil options:
  • 0.8ohm Zenith Coil - rated for 15-18W
  • 1.6ohm Zenith Coil - rated for 10-14W

The Geekvape Cerberus tank is a DTL (direct lung) tank that uses 0.2 ohm sub-ohm mesh coils and it will have more of an airier draw. It has a 25mm diameter and a 5.5 ml liquid capacity. It has adjustable air intake.

• 0.2ohm Super Mesh X1 Coil - Rated for 60-80W
  • Compatible with TFV8 Baby Coils

I've not used the Kroma mod personally, but I have used the Aegis Mini personally. I like the form factor and shape over the more boxey Kroma; I think it is a little more compact and pocket-friendly. The Aegis Mini will charge in just half an hour fully drained to fully charged. I've used both tanks. I'm a DTL vaper and I find the Zenith's air draw too restrictive for my use ... even with the air flow totally open I have to work too hard to vape with the Zenith. But if you are looking for a MTL tank this is the one to choose.

I guess I should add that if you prefer the Aegis Mini over the Kroma but still want the Zenith tank, you can buy each individually. That is what I did for Christmas presents this year by ordering 3 Aegis Mini's and 3 Zenith tanks.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The OP says, "I’m still a relative beginner vaper and am more interested in wattage control, air flow, mouth to lung, and a vape that can simiulate a cigarette." This suggests the Kroma-A kit with the Zenith might be the better bet.
I agree, but if he isn’t getting enough out of a smok stick v8 how is he going to get enough out of a innokin zenith? The problem is we don’t really know what his needs are and possibly neither does he. It’s possible for example that he’s using a very low nic juice in the smok stick for example. In this case, the best bet is to increase nic level in the juice rather than buying a different kit, though admittedly the smok stick is likely going to die on him sooner rather than later. The best thing I think is to simply inform him further.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I agree, but if he isn’t getting enough out of a smok stick v8 how is he going to get enough out of a innokin zenith? The problem is we don’t really know what his needs are and possibly neither does he. It’s possible for example that he’s using a very low nic juice in the smok stick for example. In this case, the best bet is to increase nic level in the juice rather than buying a different kit, though admittedly the smok stick is likely going to die on him sooner rather than later. The best thing I think is to simply inform him further.

Sure. But since s/he mentioned a choice of either the Kroma-A or the Aegis Mini, it seemed sensible to point out that the former meets his/her stated criteria better.

wackygt

Nov 4, 2018
OP - what is it you don't find satisfying about the vaping experience on the SMOK (other than the fact it's a SMOK). What strength nic juices are you using? This will help people give a better recommendation.

The reason I ask is that you say you want a MTL setup but you are using a DTL setup so just need to clarify that a MTL setup is definitely what you want.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
As far as I can understand OP's situation, he's in the process of branching out. Going from the SMOK tank to a MTL set up. He wants a totally different experience than what he had. I've been there... We all were there once. He wants wattage, TC controls etc. And MTL tank. Give him that, he can always pull out that old tank from the SMOK stick onto the new mod for DTL again.

I never tried MTL, never interested. But for not breaking the bank... You cannot go wrong with the likes of Aegis mini, OBS cube, Wismec sinuous, etc for MOD choice. Those will give him the basic control he likes to try and they are dirt cheap, but quality mods. I am subscribed to Wismec channel, and here's a video from them just yesterday, looks like MTL and DTL capable KIT. As for reviews, I am yet to see one.

Shepherdsdriving

Dec 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Hey everyone, hopefully I can clarify things up a bit. I’m currently using only 6mg on my SMOK V8 Stick. I would like to find a higher nic content but as I live in Wisconsin I can’t seem to find any. I also find the SMOK V8 to be not satisfying in the flavor department. And I’m not into big clouds that the SMOK produces. I also do not like how much juice that little thing sucks up. I just learned from you all that the SMOK is DTL, but I’ve been using it MTL (at least I think I have been). Like I said previously I want something that comes close to simulating the draw of a cigarette, as well as wattage change. I also have a question for you all, can the aegis kit be MTL as well? Since I think I’ve been using the Smok MTL. I hope that about covers it, and I apologize for not really knowing what I’m talking about or how to describe my wants with the two products. You all are great, thanks!

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Shepherdsdriving

Dec 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Hey everyone, hopefully I can clarify things up a bit. I’m currently using only 6mg on my SMOK V8 Stick. I would like to find a higher nic content but as I live in Wisconsin I can’t seem to find any. I also find the SMOK V8 to be not satisfying in the flavor department. And I’m not into big clouds that the SMOK produces. I also do not like how much juice that little thing sucks up. I just learned from you all that the SMOK is DTL, but I’ve been using it MTL (at least I think I have been). Like I said previously I want something that comes close to simulating the draw of a cigarette, as well as wattage change. I also have a question for you all, can the aegis kit be MTL as well? Since I think I’ve been using the Smok MTL. I hope that about covers it, and I apologize for not really knowing what I’m talking about or how to describe my wants with the two products. You all are great, thanks!
I forgot to add that I’m trying to quit smoking, so I’m not sure if that goes into the decision making. And the Aegis Mini has an internal battery does that mean it has a shorter life span?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It may have a shorter life span in the sense that the battery is not removable so once it dies (you can switch out internal batteries in some mods, but like, it's not for the faint of heart.)

To be fair, there are things that can go wrong with an external battery device. It may be unreasonable to expect any mod to last forever, exactly. Battery doors can wear out, the mod can die unexpectedly, etc. Innoken has a pretty good reputation for quality but it may not be the mod they tuck with you into your grave, etc. Probably more because you may have branched out more by then, but not all mods last forever.

Anna

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

Yes, the aegis mini kit can be vaped mtl - but you probably won't get the flavour from the tank unless it's set to a higher wattage. Which may make it a too warmer vape.
    Here's a review on it from a fellow mtl vaper @bigbob2322

GEEKVAPE AEGIS MINI KIT

The innokin zenith tank/kroma-a kit is more tailored towards mtl vaping.

The zenith tank was my absolute favourite at recreating the cigarette-like draw I wanted while quitting smoking. It also has airflow options, and the flavour is awesome.

You could also do as @Baditude suggested above - buy an innokin zenith tank separately, buy an aegis mini 80w mod (not the kit) and use them together.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    FYI, the Zenith with the .5 ohm Plexus Z coil installed and a spare 1.6 ohm coil is selling for $19.99 at MyFreedomSmokes, with an extra 10% off using the discount code VAPECRAWLER10. Even if the Plexus Z is iffy, this is the best price I've found so far, and I've been looking.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    can the aegis kit be MTL as well? Since I think I’ve been using the Smok MTL.
    If you close down the air on the Cerberus tank to almost closed, it can be used as a MTL tank. The issue to consider is the Cerberus tank uses subohm coils which will require higher wattage settings to produce enough flavor and vapor to be enjoyable. I've used the Cerberus tank at 30 watts and it works great for me, but the recommended wattage for these coils is 40 - 60 watts. Your results may vary.

The wattage setting for the Zenith tank's coils is around 10 - 15 watts, so the battery life will be longer with less power demands on the mod's battery.

And the Aegis Mini has an internal battery does that mean it has a shorter life span?
    All batteries have a similar life span expectancy, whether internal or external. An average of 300 charge cycles and then the battery begins to lose its ability to hold a full charge.

How long they will last you as an individual user depends upon the frequency of use, what wattage settings you use, and whether you recharge your batteries before they run dead. A battery will last longer in life if you don't routinely drain it dead before recharging it.

Many of us prefer using external batteries instead of internal batteries. An internal battery mod whose battery loses its recharging ability over time becomes a paper weight. An external battery mod continues being useful because you can just replace the external battery with a $5 replacement. Possible downside to using an external battery mod is you also need to purchase a battery charger ($20 - $50 depending upon features) and external batteries ($5 - 10 each depending upon the vendor and shipping costs) in addition to the mod itself.

Also if your internal battery drains dead, you can't vape with it until you are able to recharge the battery ... about half an hour in the case of the Aegis Mini. If using an external battery mod, many of us carry spare charged batteries with us to replace when they drain dead.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: AngeNZ
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread