What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@Mowgli - Good to see Charley Patton receive some recognition. He seems to be one of those forgotten or overlooked talents where fans of the Delta Blues genre tend to focus on Robert Johnson. The story from historians goes – Johnson, just a young kid at the time, would hang out at the popular juke joints constantly bugging Patton and even Son House to teach him how to play. Both Patton and House became frustrated with Johnson and told him to bugger off. Johnson left, returning about a year later as a talented player. This is where the story of him selling his soul at the cross roads came from. So technically without Patton, we wouldn’t have Johnson

Charley was a bit of an odd ball, at only 5’ 5” it was said he could sing so loud you could hear him clearly a ¼ mile away. Bit of a rock n’ roller, for lack of better terminology, decades before the genre was even coined. He would dance and thrash around, almost possessed like, playing the guitar with his teeth and behind his head and sometimes even smashing it. Alcoholic and constantly fighting, died at a very young age of 34.

If you can get past the poor fidelity of his recordings it is IMO some of the best blues ever written. To this date he still influences many musicians.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts

From the notes by Led Zeppelin Rarities:

"29 September 1971 - Osaka, Japan

This video features the brand-new Empress Valley soundboard, as well as (almost) the rest of the concert, which I have filled in using the older soundboard. It's about a 50/50 split between each source. It has all been remastered to the best of my ability.

0:25 The Immigrant Song
5:03 Heartbreaker
13:16 Since I've Been Loving You
20:46 Black Dog *
28:14 Dazed and Confused
57:28 Stairway to Heaven (solo only)
1:01:22 Celebration Day *
1:07:24 That's the Way *
1:15:57 Tangerine *
1:21:05 Friends
1:24:57 Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
1:25:16 What Is and What Should Never Be
1:29:44 Moby Dick
1:40:20 Whole Lotta Love *
2:13:57 Communication Breakdown
2:21:30 Organ Solo *
2:25:45 Thank You *
2:33:47 Rock and Roll

* Not on the new EVSD release For some reason, Going to California was copyright blocked, but that wasn't on the new release, so it's not too great a loss."

Reactions: Frenchfry1942

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Thank-you! I had posted that Dire Straits video a year or two ago and I have caught myself wanting to post it again. Just a great performance by each of the band, the videographers, and that small audience. Knowing the UK, there are many small venues that make an excellent show. Just a joy to feel the energy of the musical rise and comfortable settling.

Reactions: r77r7r

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
There is an album where other, more recent, musicians did covers of Led Zep songs. Some just tried to mimic and others adjusted part/parts in performance of it. Actually, it's 20yo by now. I don't doubt Led Zep's (Robert Plant) excellent writing and the band's performance, I just liked Never the Bride's take on it. The album has many others, good or bad.

I guess something for Led Zep affectionados...

Users who are viewing this thread